GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had this thing for two days and it has changed my motorcycle life in Houston, Texas. Looks like the 9 quart cooler will be good for about 1.5-2 hours with freezer cube ice. That's good enough for me. I went for a 3 hour ride yesterday from 4:30 to 7:30 PM and when I got home every place the vest touched my body was actually cold to the touch. About 1.5 hours into the ride I dumped most of the water and added a bag of ice and then off again. I didn't even have any sweat on my head. Amazing device. I suggest if you have a problem riding in the heat that you get one of these. The temperature on the bike said 97 degrees. We have been hanging in the upper 90% humidity, also. I'm riding with the vest on (against my skin), then a light shirt, then a leather vest (to insulate the Veskimo) then my Tourmaster mesh jacket, gloves, and a full face helment. It's fantastic. You get some pretty funny looks when you drive up and start taking all this stuff off when it's that hot outside. Just thought I would give my opinion. I got the ideal of getting one from reading this forum and thought I would share my experience.

Now I'm going to get the wife one, a reciever hitch and receiver basket to haul the two ice chests. Life is good once again. My riding season just got expanded 3 more months to all year around.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
And only $400.00 dollars, what a deal.
And if it extends his riding next year by three months and the next year and so on... Sounds like an amazing deal to me.

I've been thinking about the back pack version for sport and dirt riding, I know I'll pull the trigger on one in the near future.

Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
... The temperature on the bike said 97 degrees. We have been hanging in the upper 90% humidity...
I'm glad the Veskimo is working for you but just a thought, at 1600 CDT today the temp in Houston was 90F with a 54% RH....works out to a web bulb temp of 77F. Good evaporative underwear would allow you to ride about as cool with a lot less hassle. BTW, most of the time mid-day RHs run in the high 50s to mid 60s even in places as humid as Houston. When you see high average humidity figures and/or high humidity numbers those are or include night time humidity.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm glad the Veskimo is working for you but just a thought, at 1600 CDT today the temp in Houston was 90F with a 54% RH....works out to a web bulb temp of 77F. Good evaporative underwear would allow you to ride about as cool with a lot less hassle. BTW, most of the time mid-day RHs run in the high 50s to mid 60s even in places as humid as Houston. When you see high average humidity figures and/or high humidity numbers those are or include night time humidity.

Living here in Houston....today is was an exception....not the rule....we have already had many 100 degree plus days this year, with many more in store...I make a 80 mile round trip each day to work going through downtown Houston where with the reflective heat off the concrete, temps reach 135-140 many days...your evaporative may work where you are at (and maybe some days here) but the majority of the time it won't.
I am personally going to check into a Veskimo (I believe that it is the same company that was at Wing Ding 2 years ago) to help with the heat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been in the personal body cooling business for 18 years now. Thought I would chime in regarding the veskimo system. Years ago, the company I was VP of manufactured a similar active cooling system. We went to market at a price around $1,000 for a full torso and pant system. This is the technology utilized by NASA for the astronauts. There is no technology that compares to the heat absorption capability of these systems. Heat of fusion values and measurable cooling capacity is unmatched and this system does not have the negative side of ice vests (similar heat of fusion values) which is vasoconstriction (google it if curious). The only 2 negatives about this technology is 1.) cost.....which veskimo has seemed to conquer as compared to companies of the past and 2:) umbilical connection......probably not the deal breaker that it seems to be for people that have to be mobile. All in all, I applaud veskimo. I love seeing the advancement of technologies that can claim the removal of a specific amount of heat from the body rather than an undefined cooling sensation.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mines coming at $298

I didn't pay $400 and a 9 quart is only $20 more. He's out of xlarge and mine is delayed a week and to make me feel better he gave me free shipping on 2 setups, I got one for the wifey too!! I'm going to use this MUCH more than biking. Around the house, while working on anything like my bike, hey hey, flying my radio control helicopters, even just sitting on the porch in the evening. You know they use this same type setup on speed boats just much more crude in design and they sell for $2000:eek:4: and don't liik half as good!!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I didn't pay $400 and a 9 quart is only $20 more. He's out of xlarge and mine is delayed a week and to make me feel better he gave me free shipping on 2 setups, I got one for the wifey too!! I'm going to use this MUCH more than biking. Around the house, while working on anything like my bike, hey hey, flying my radio control helicopters, even just sitting on the porch in the evening. You know they use this same type setup on speed boats just much more crude in design and they sell for $2000:eek:4: and don't liik half as good!!
how did you get such a good discount?

This looks like an excellent solution to me. I've tried a couple of other products; an evaporative vest as well as an expensive phase change vest. Not impressed with either. If I can get a discount like you did then I will give this a try.

·
Registered
101 Posts
They are $298 each

I hope I didn't convey I paid $298 for both, they were that for one but still a lot less than the $400 someone said they were.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I hope I didn't convey I paid $298 for both, they were that for one but still a lot less than the $400 someone said they were.
no, I understood you to mean $298 for a single set up....did that price include the 9qt. cooler? Was that price just offered to you or did you have to negotiate a little?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I paid $359.00 for a vest, 9 quart system, and a AA battery back. He was running behind on orders and he threw in the 8 AA batteries and a 12V power supply at no charge. I went for another 5 hour ride today with two other bikes. The other guys were beat when we got back. I am amazingly fresh for enduring that much heat. The weather channel showed a temperature of 94 degrees and a heat index of 102. I know it was hotter out on the asphalt. The bike showed a temperature of 99 degress most of the day. I would rather stand beside or sit on my bike in the shade with this thing on than go into an icehouse with no AC. It works that good. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks for the review on this item. I have looked as several of the different types offered for a good while and have talked myself out of them each time until I went back out into the heat again. I just got back from a trip out west and saw heat temps up to 104 and could of sure used this item. I had not seen the one before so thanks for posting. I like to ride year round and spent alot of money for heated stuff to ride in the winter so I see nothing wrong with spending it for an item like this. I have tried the wet down vest shoot I even took a trip and filled my trailer hitch cooler up with ice and water and stopped about ever hour to wet down a light weight long sleeve shirt to keep cool, so I guess its time for me to pull the triger on one of these. Not a bad price compaired to some of the other ones (Cool Shirt).

·
Registered
350 Posts
I too just acquired a Veskimo after using various forms of evaporative cooling gear over the years. It makes a considerable difference in hot and humid weather comfort and is well worth the cost in my opinion.

Using cube ice limits its cooling time; ice blocks are the way to go. Putting the Veskimo cooler inside a larger cooler is another way to extend the time of useful cooling.

I'm going to get an Igloo 12-can vertical cooler and cut it down so that it fits into the Veskimo/Igloo cooler for additional insulation without the extra bulk of a larger cooler. I'm also going to use a space blanket to make a cover for the cooler to keep it out of the sun.

Terrific piece of gear!

·
Registered
13 Posts
First ride with my Veskimo today (9 quart cooler version). 350 mile all day affair with temps starting in the mid 80s to 98 when i got back. I would second woopow that cube ice seems to last 1.5 hours or so with the stock setup. A 10 pound bag of ice from a convenience store just about fills it up.

I think hansong's onto something with the additional and/or hard shell cooler. My thought is to take a hard shell cooler and modify it so that the Veskimo tub and hose fit inside it. The soft igloo cooler that the tub fits in just doesn't seem to me to be insulated enough for the heat/humidity here in my part of the universe.

I'm also going to experiment with different jackets to see how that affects the experience - wore a tight mesh Olympia jacket today that's usually only good to a max of 75 degrees for me. It was okay except for my arms which got hotter than I would have liked. Next time will try my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket.

Thus far I'm pleased. Made the day much more pleasurable.

·
Registered
88 Posts
www.coolwingrider.com just started a summer sale on phase change vests. They also have a video on their home page showing what NASA has to say about that technology.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I've tried to stay out of this thread for the most part but....depending on the type of riding you do and your tolerance of hassle there may be better options.

If you ride long and have a low tolerance for fiddling with your gear both phase change vests and Veskimo type systems will soon be relegated to a closet, an expensive experiment that is a great idea but just doesn't work in practice.

Phase change vests work ok for an hour or so and then once the lose their charge they are much hotter than not wearing one. Also they cool the wrong area, most of the cooling should come from the sleeve area instead of the torso. They are bulky and heavy and to make 'em work for any ride longer than an hour you need to carry a large ice chest. Not worth the cost or hassle for the cooling available.

I've not used a Veskimo system so I do not know how efective they are but some of the users report only an hour and a half or so of cooling before needing to re-fill the ice. Tank to tank with standard fuel is about 3 hours, that is enough to eliminate using Veskimo systems on the clock plus having to hook up and un-hook would be enough to drive me bat ***** crazy over a long ride.

There is a better option and it costs a lot less. They work as long as you can stand to ride no matter how large your fuel tank and will keep you very comfortable for the whole ride.

The Houston riders are always bragging about their RH so I've been checking it out over the last week or so. Mid-day RH has not been over 60% most days it is in the mid 50%, at 95F and 60% it would give a wet bulb of about 83F, I'm pretty comfortable riding in 85F temps. BTW, I lived, worked and rode in Houston for almost 40 years and those temps and RHs jive with what I remember, I know what it is like and I will still take the magic underwear over either phase change or the Veskimo as it is now.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I've tried to stay out of this thread for the most part but....depending on the type of riding you do and your tolerance of hassle there may be better options.

If you ride long and have a low tolerance for fiddling with your gear both phase change vests and Veskimo type systems will soon be relegated to a closet, an expensive experiment that is a great idea but just doesn't work in practice.

Phase change vests work ok for an hour or so and then once the lose their charge they are much hotter than not wearing one. Also they cool the wrong area, most of the cooling should come from the sleeve area instead of the torso. They are bulky and heavy and to make 'em work for any ride longer than an hour you need to carry a large ice chest. Not worth the cost or hassle for the cooling available.

I've not used a Veskimo system so I do not know how efective they are but some of the users report only an hour and a half or so of cooling before needing to re-fill the ice. Tank to tank with standard fuel is about 3 hours, that is enough to eliminate using Veskimo systems on the clock plus having to hook up and un-hook would be enough to drive me bat ***** crazy over a long ride.

There is a better option and it costs a lot less. They work as long as you can stand to ride no matter how large your fuel tank and will keep you very comfortable for the whole ride.

The Houston riders are always bragging about their RH so I've been checking it out over the last week or so. Mid-day RH has not been over 60% most days it is in the mid 50%, at 95F and 60% it would give a wet bulb of about 83F, I'm pretty comfortable riding in 85F temps. BTW, I lived, worked and rode in Houston for almost 40 years and those temps and RHs jive with what I remember, I know what it is like and I will still take the magic underwear over either phase change or the Veskimo as it is now.
And after writing all that, the MAGIC underwear is?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts