GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please let me know if you have used these and if you think they are better or worse than Honda and why.

I am hearing that they are better (better stopping power/longer lasting)

Do they cause any problem with the rotors?

Are they noisey?

Are these the same that Traxxion used to sell? Directline does sell them.

I know that most use Honda, as do I, but I am not afraid to try for something better if it is out there.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
The ones Traxxion had made to special order are certainly good, but I do not think they are sintered metal, but some compound.

prs

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
vesrah

I don't know if they are the same as the Traxxion ones and I don't know that they aren't. It is the company, I think, and I've been using them on the front of my moto for the last 10k miles. I have a little squeal, not too bad, and I really can't tell any improvement over the pads that were on my used 03 when I bought it with 27k on the odo. Maybe a little less brake dust.

Richard

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would be interested in knowing more as well. The Honda ones are hard of the rotors from what I can see, there is something very wrong on a basic level when your using metal pads...in the case of Honda pads for the Gold Wing, metal as in steel in the pads. Copper or brass would be better as I see it, its softer then the OEM ones....and rotors do not come cheap...!

Even if the pads wear out sooner....hell I can live with that...just as long as I am not ripping the rotor up. Do they make plain organic pads for this bike....?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Vesrah pads run here. No problems. Quiet, stops fine, and the rotors look great.

·
Registered
878 Posts
@ Jerry,
I tried organic pads on my bike and liked them quite well, until I finally got caught in the rain... Once those pads got wet there was nearly zero braking from them... Ya might as well have greased the rotors for the amount of friction obtained... I will have to check on just what brand they were, but I would consider them to be lethal in any sort of wet weather riding...

·
Registered
345 Posts
@ Jerry,
I tried organic pads on my bike and liked them quite well, until I finally got caught in the rain... Once those pads got wet there was nearly zero braking from them... Ya might as well have greased the rotors for the amount of friction obtained... I will have to check on just what brand they were, but I would consider them to be lethal in any sort of wet weather riding...
I had organics on my VT750 Honda Shadow...and they worked well in the rain...and even had times when I was in huge out pours where a boat would have been better then a bike...and they worked very well. Maybe its the weight of the Gold Wing that makes it not work so well when wet...i do not know.

All I do know is that the OEM pads on my GW is harsh on the rotors...I can see it on the rotors that ripping them up enough that I can see having to maybe change them after a few years of this. I would be much more in favor of a softer pad, something that does not use steel in the pads...but copper or brass or such that will not rip into the rotors as bad.

And the OEM's squeel at lower speeds. My VT750 pads did the same till I went to organic ones, after that the rotor looked nice, almost a polished look as it was gentle on the rotor. I went through two sets of organics compaired to the one set I would have gone through with the hard OEM ones....but thats OK....would sooner replace them more often then have to shell out for rotors....not cheap at all...!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I am using these on the rear right now.
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6774&str=4

I have them for the front when they wear out.

I noticed they provide much better stopping power than the OEM pads and I am not sure what, if anything, they will do to prematurely wear the rotors.

One thing I did notice after putting them on the rear that I don't care for is that when I hit the rear brake pedal, the bike nose dives quite a but more than it used to. This bugs me because my Traxxion equipped wing has never done this before. Am rebuilding the forks this weekend so will see if any difference, but I suspect not. I dread seeing what might happen once I put the Vesrahs on the front.:eek:4:

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
OEM pads since the bike was new here. Rotors look fine at 60,000+ miles. No exhorbitant amount of brake dust. Stopping power is fine, and no squeal until the very end of the life of the pads. I get 25,000 miles out of each set, and they are cheap compared to many aftermarket pads.

Can't ask for much more than that.

I have no problem with trying aftermarket parts, but I have to have a good reason for doing it. If the OEM parts work well, and are reasonably priced, I see no reason to go away from the parts that were designed for the bike.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
And how many riders with over 200K on a bike have had to replace rotors??

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I have only used Honda pads in the past and I felt it necessary to change my rear rotor at the last brake change. There were some fairly deep ridges worn in the rear one. I did not ever see any pads that were metal to metal, so it had to be the pads I guess. (I had about 80k miles on them then). The good news was I was able to buy a trike take-off from Rocky (or one of the famous members here, my memory is bad) and it costs me very little to swap out the rear.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
@ Jerry,
Organic pad are quite the opposite of sinthered metal pads.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
And how many riders with over 200K on a bike have had to replace rotors??
replaced rear rotor at 198,000 because it was wornout

replaced front rotors at 300,000 they are just about all used up

i have a few sets of rims so i still use the old front rotors sometimes with nearly wornout front tires, kinda saves on messing around switching rotors all the time

1 - 13 of 13 Posts