GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I keep window shopping for an 18 or 19 GL. I've noticed some complaints about vibration and buzzing very occasionally.

Is it only the DCT models that seem to be susceptible or is the traditional model affected by these issues?

And I assume it's very seldom or on a tiny percentage of bikes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hm, I guess you would be the only one to really decide, take a Manual and DCT out for test rides and judge for yourself, it probably depends on the RPM's you tend to ride at, the conditions of the tires, and what your expectations are. I don't baby my bikes and tend to ride at higher RPM's, neither my 2003 or 2018 every had vibrations.

Reactions: CarpeDiem

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, from what I've read, it seems these vibrations aren't present when new but rather develop later on.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The new or old Wing have no vibration to speak of.

·
Registered
301 Posts
13 months and 8200 miles and I haven't been buzzed or vibrated yet...(not that I'd publicly confess to such a thing anyway:grin2:)

The only vibration I've ever felt from this bike are the rumble strips approaching stop signs and highway construction surface milling.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I recall a fairly recent post where the OP and a respondent or few reported noticing such minor vibes at cold start, such vibes decreasing and ceasing as the bike warmed-up. I had never noticed anything like that with the bike. I took notice on a cool morning (low to mid 40F) and did note a very faint z-z-z-z-z-z-z.... My mechanic's stethoscope was handy and, having a pretty good clue as to where to listen based upon experience of such noise on cold heavy equipment, I isolated my z-z-z-z-z-z... to the Honda main oil filter. and filter base area It is probably the normal operation of a bypass valve IMHO and does go away as the oil warms or gets moving better through the media. That was/is with traditional GN-4 10/30 and Honda filter. It was VERY slight and I would have never noticed it unless listening for it. On most motors, one would never hear it, but the Honda engine is so quiet that it can be heard. S0, if you hear it, use your stethoscope with a metal end to see if it is from the filter area. You could also use a larger and longer screw driver to hold there and your ear against the handle. It is not a problem, just the filter working as it should.

prs

·
Registered
316 Posts
Slight vibe through the handlebars at stops with the engine running. More vibes when the fans cut on. Definitely more than my buddy's 2008 (smooth as glass) and more than my old FJR, but having rode a thumper and twins, it really doesn't bother me much. Once you are moving it goes away. I think it may be the new engine, the way it i mounted, and the new front suspension.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would think that without riding the new wing or having one, that if you have worries about the bike developing vibrations, or having issues being a new model year that, that every tick, sound, and thing the bike did would be a bother to you and this next generation wing would not be a good choice, there are so many bikes out their and it’s a buyers market for used bikes that if it were me I’d just get something else.

Reactions: Bayrec
1 - 9 of 9 Posts