GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to get smooth ride on my '04 Goldwing trike. The front tire has been balanced 2 times and checked a 3rd time. Both tires in the rear has been balanced 2 times. All Balls bearings have been installed by Honda dealer. The tire has 41 lbs in it and it vibrates at 65 mph and really shakes at 70 and + mph. The tire has lots of tread left with only 6,000 miles on it. But, now I have looked closely at the tread pattern and I can see some areas wearing not evenly. The way the tread on the tire looks, I can see a problem. I read these boards and it looks like no one has trouble with this tire. It vibrates so badly that I won't get on the Interstate anymore. This tire looks to me to have a bad design. It seems when different cuts in the tread meet in area that hits the road, you're asking for trouble. I may be wrong. I'm no expert on MC tires. I hope I can get something from the dealer that I bought it from. What other tires besides Michelin are out there for a trike? At first it rode well, but now I've got to get another. I had no trouble with last front tire - M50.

Don Pittillo
2004 Gold Wing Lehman Trike

·
SOB First Shirt
918 Posts
Don, I had the same problem on my 1500 with the Activ. After 2K the dealer called Michelin and got permission to swap the tire out for a new one. 90% of the tire problem went away. Still had the tread pattern buzz but actual handling was vastly improved. Talk to your dealer and really bitch about it and try to get him to call Michelin and swap it out for you.

Good Luck.

I run Bridgestone on my 1800 and have over 16K on it so far.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Don, I am sorry to hear of your problem. I have an '02 with a Motor Trike '05 kit. I also changed the front tire to the Michelin Activ and run 41#, reverse rotation. I have 8,400 miles on it and no wear that I can see and it is smooth all across. I have no/none vibs, shimmy or anything but smooth. I run a lot of Interstate at 70 to 80 and it is like sitting in my Lazy Boy. I have no advice to offer...but wish you luck. I am sure you will get some good advice on this board as soon as these guys read your problem. Good luck.

G

·
The Pilot Activ on my 1800 Champion is as smooth running as it could be. No vibes, no noise. Now 10K miles and no problems.

Normal rotation and 41 PSI.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the Michellin Pilot Activ on my Trike (12,000miles). No problems at all. I do have a Champion with EZ-steer (so needle bearings).
Cheers,
Jill

·
Registered
560 Posts
I am running a Bridgestone BT45 rear mounted in reverse rotation on the front of my trike. So far so good.

JJ

·
Registered
258 Posts
Pilot Activator

I had the Michellin Pilot Activ installed reversed rotation on my GL1802 and the handle bars felt like had a weed eater in my hands. Had the tire changed to correct rotation, however, buzz was still there. Tire removed and replaced with a Metzler. Buzz gone. Had a friend with 1500 have same problem.

G

·
Don,

Something worth checking and this may sound simplistic, but I speak from experience.

Both the tire and the wheel have rotational arrows. The Activ, when using a rear tire in a front application, according to Michelin should be mounted in reverse rotation, so the arrows go opposite each other.

Secondly make sure the wheel is mounted in the proper direction. It is very easy to accidently put the wheel on backwards.

If the wheel is on right and the tire is on right, if you spin the wheel you can watch the tread. It should run true.

Lastly, if your tire dealer will not replace it, call Michelin Costomer Relations Cycle Group at 1-800-346-4098. They will ask you if you have done the above checks.

You may just have a bad tire. Too many folks have run this tire on their trikes without problem for it to be considered a bad tire on the whole. But there certainly can be bad tires in a batch.

Good luck,

Don aka Beastie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts