GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Dulop E-3 mounted yesterday. I bought it from a member here with 2,000 miles on tire. Tire is in excellent shape, no cupping and almost all the **** are on it. Tire is at 36psi. Has a stick on weight on the left side. None on right side.

I believe stock it came on the ridge in the center of the wheel. Don't know if it makes a difference.

2010 Base Model, almost 14,000 miles.

I have a vibration in the handlebars now. It is not minor and is not due to rough roads. Could this be an improperly balanced tire or someother issue? I am leaning towards improperly balanced.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Sounds like it's out of balance.

If you can't balance it yourself, I'd probably throw some Dynabeads in it and I'm pretty sure your problem will go away.

Doesn't matter if the stick on weight is on one side or the other on the rim, as long as it's the necessary spot on the wheel and it's the right amount of weight.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to breakfast to relax. Taking the wheel off now so I can have the balance checked. Hopefully the tire is not flat spotted or something such as that. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Make sure the bead of the tire is seated all the way around on both sides of the rim.:eek:4:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appears to be seated. The wheel was balanced again and we watched it spin looking for something unusual. Did not see anything. Mounted the tire and went for a 15 mile ride. The ride seemed to smooth out quite a bit. If they have sat for too long in one position will that cause them to flat spot? I do not know how long they sat. If they did flat spot and it was not severe, will they roll out after a period of running down the road?

I do not know at this point if the minor vibration is normal. I realize it is a motorcycle. Does seem to be much smoother since I rode it some. Could be I have a notion in my head and now I can't get rid of it. On the plus side, only took 15 minutes to remove the front wheel the second time. Reassembly was much quicker since I already broke the calipers down and cleaned them.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm not sure about your problem but, I just put a couple E3's on this week and they're as smoth as silk..........You shouldn't feel a vibration.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought mine used with 2,000 miles. I do not know how long they were setting. No vibration before but, now I have one post E3's install.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Personally, I'm beginning to feel the quality control on all motorcycle tire leave something to be desired. I'm running into more and more tires that don't quit balance properly.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I use dyna-beads 2oz. in the front tire and use 40psi with good resuts.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Personally, I'm beginning to feel the quality control on all motorcycle tire leave something to be desired. I'm running into more and more tires that don't quit balance properly.
Don't assume it's always the tire, I put my wheels, without tires, on my static balancer to determine the heavy spot. I mark it on the inside of the rim with a Sharpie.

So when I go to mount, I put the light spot dot, on the tire, aligned to the heavy spot I've marked on the rim.

Can't always assume the valve stem becomes the heavy spot on the wheel.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Don't assume it's always the tire, I put my wheels, without tires, on my static balancer to determine the heavy spot. I mark it on the inside of the rim with a Sharpie.

So when I go to mount, I put the light spot dot, on the tire, aligned to the heavy spot I've marked on the rim.

Can't always assume the valve stem becomes the heavy spot on the wheel.

Agree, and that method is recommended but, IMO, that will only save weights and will do nothing to correct the effects of a out of round tire. The fact that tires come with heavy spots tell me there is room for quality control improvement. When balance a tire, I often run into a tire that just won't balance perfectly. Good enough but when you think you got it and flip it 90 or 180 degrees, the damn thing is off a little. I blame it on the tire but I could be wrong because I'm still not certain what causes this. It could be bearing slack or some other phenomenon. Regardless, it's usually not an issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts