GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2010 with 38,000 miles on it. Just put a tire on with dyna beads 2 ozs to stop the wing wobble.Had this vibration in my handle bars feel it most at low speeds. It's not the wobble we get from tire wear. It's a vibration in my hand grips,the handle bar are nice and tight steering head nut has never been touched. I have checked the front wheel all is well there maybe wheel bearings not sure were to check next.?? :shrug:

·
Registered
566 Posts
I would look at the tire and make sure it's beaded evenly all the way around, next I would get tire off the ground, spin it holding a screwdriver next to it and make sure it's not out of round, then I would pull wheel off and stick my fingers in the bearings and feel for any roughness while spinning and last I would have the beads removed and balanced with weights.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
What tire you put on ? I have bt45 n could feel more because all the rubber on tire .how much air you running .

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
To check front wheel bearings: Bike on center stand, raise front wheel off ground, hold the handle bar grips while someone spins the front wheel. If you feel vibrations, it's the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
yes to all the above.

BTW: they dynabeads are great, I have used them for years. But the beads will not do anything with the dreaded 40mph wobble. The new tire will probably make it go away for about 4k miles, but it will probably return.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes I agree dynabeads are very good I used them for awhile then I went to Centramatics and they are much better then the beads absolutely no vibration at all and at any speed.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I have never needed any other balance other than a small amount of lead if any at all.
The low speed wobble in my personal experience comes from not setting the axle. The last step in reinstalling front tire.
I think you compounded your problem with beams causing new handle bar vibration.
I would remove beads and reinstall lead balanced, setting axle
Run 41bls tire pressure front and rear
A rear cupped tire can cause this also.
Sticky caliber too

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
You are a new Double Darksider I believe. (Can't remember) The BT45 has a aggressive center groove and some (including me) can feel that groove at low speeds! My vibrations was so bad that it vibrated my disk covers from 20 to 30 MPG! :evil: It did not stop until somewhere around 15K or so.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just a thought, but often handlebar vibration is due to the rear wheel not balanced properly. Have you checked the rear wheel?

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
You are a new Double Darksider I believe. (Can't remember) The BT45 has a aggressive center groove and some (including me) can feel that groove at low speeds! My vibrations was so bad that it vibrated my disk covers from 20 to 30 MPG! :evil: It did not stop until somewhere around 15K or so.
If that is the case it really should have been mentioned in the first post, :shrug::shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all of you for the info going to be working on the wing today will post want I find. Just saw another post about buzzing in the handle bars that what I have it's more of a buzz the a vibration. Just put a BT 45 on with about 2000 miles on it. My tire pressure is at 42 psi.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It is the BT 45 doing it. That is the main reason I stopped using it.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts