GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to get rid of vibration on my trike at speeds over 60 mph. However it runs smooth at speeds under 60 mph. I bought new front tire (Michelin Pilot Activa) and had it balanced. Just had the two rear tires balanced for the third time this year. Course, each time it gets re-balanced, the last time it was off. The All Balls bearing that was installed by Honda dealer seems to be tighter then what I saw on maintence cds. The wheel stays where you put it instead of staying put in center and with slight pull, going all the way to the side like in Fred's cd. I also looked at drive shaft and tighten bolts at u-joint. When I bought it, it road great - no vibration. It's so bad that I stay off Interstates and ride below 60 mph. Anybody out there got any ideas about what could be causing this problem?
Don Pittillo
2004 GL1800 Lehman Trike

·
Registered
792 Posts
I would think it's in the drivetrain. I would start looking at one end and work my way to the other checking for slop in any of the drive line components. Remember that 1 gram of weight spinning at 4 or 5 thousand rpms can tear something up very quick, and the same goes for a little slop in a jiont or bearing. You didn't say how mean miles you have on it, but that's where I would look to start. Good luck on you hunt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don,

I haven't triked my 1800 yet but with over 117,000 miles on a 1500 Lehman I would take it back to a Lehman dealer, and also write/call Lehman as this is NOT normal. There is vibration at most higer speeds and most of it is due to the rear tires. Running the rears over inflated will sometimes cause this problem. Anyway get back to Lehman I am sure they will help.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had a CSC problem some what the same, they replaced the drive shaft both rear wheels and tires, and I was told it is just fine know,

I have heard stories of bad and miss sized wheels

1 - 4 of 4 Posts