GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having some vibration issues on my Road Smith Trike.; 05 Wing.
When I reach hwy speeds at certain rpm's, I get annoying vibration in my handlebars & foot pegs. Say 50-70 mph. I have Kury Iso grips to.
Anyone ever deal with this? They found a rear tire had to be rebalanced, helped a little, but the vibration is still there.
Any ideas to try? If not I'll bring it back to Road Smith and have them take a closer look at it.
I'm still real new to a trike

·
Registered
997 Posts
I had my bike converted to a CSC trike back in mid 2016. Almost immediately I started getting a vibration at 55 to 65mph. It wasnt allnthe time but frequently happened buy seemed to come and go. I also had to slow down on curves because quite often it felt felt like the trike wanted to tip over at higher speeds. I lived with it for awhile because the builder I used was down in Georgia and I'm in NE Illinois. Finally after about a year of dealing with it, I was on the way back from Arkansas and stopped by Niehaus Honda in Litchfield, IL to have them take a look. They rebalanced both rear tires but were also convinced my BT45 front tire was the cause. They put on a Michelin Pilot Activ on. That helped but the vibration was still there. I finally contacted CSC and after explaining the problem, they told me it was most likely the rear tires. It had Ohtsu tires and they said that I should try replacing the rear tires as others had the same problem. Luckily my conversion was still under warranty. They said to replace the tires and send them a copy of the receipt and they would reimburse me. I ended up with a set of Goodyear Eagle tires. After the first ride on them, the vibration was completely gone. I could run at any speed and the ride was nice and smooth.

Something to consider...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
As a test, only, you could try the balance beads in the tires. Rear tire’s...it would also compensate for driveline imbalances too, front...as on a 2wheeler. Trikes get more road irregularities transmitted to the operator than 2wheelers do, and it might just improve the overall ride. They sure smoothed out my 2 axle enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I have a fried with a Roadsmith that had the exact thing you said. And as pwhoever said it was his rear tires. In his case he just balanced them and it fixed it. He had also replaced the front tire and even made sure it was running true. His happened over 3 years ago and he's never had another problem.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They found one rear tire out of balance, Rebalanced it & it helped a little. The front tire is a new Avon trike tire.
Maybe I'll try the beads. Do I need to take the weights off the wheels first?

·
Registered
997 Posts
FWIW, when I was having the problems, I did add dyna beads to the rear tires but dont remember it helping much. Trike tires are typically low profile so Dyna Beads say with low profile, they are not as effective. Before changing out the tires, I would suggest taking them to a place that does road force balancing if you havent done so already. Just balancing is not.always effective. Road force balancing can correct problems that a regular balance cant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts