GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Leaving tues to go to New Orleans. I am going to stop by Vicksburg Battlefield on the 'way.' I will prob. only have 1-2 hrs there so what highlights should I hit?

Thanks!
Kevin

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
To really enjoy it, you'll need at least half a day. You can ride thru it in a couple of hours but you'll miss a lot of history. I could probably stay ALL day there.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree with TexanTrail, you will just barely have time to scratch the surface in a couple of hours. We've been to the park several times, spending about a half day each time, and we have always discovered some new part of history that we didn't see before.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The wife and I went there on our honeymoon, mind you that was 25 yrs. ago, but when we went thru you could rent a cassette to listen to that narrated your trip. It would tell you how fast to ride and where to turn and stop to read things. That made it very good. I wonder if they still have something like that?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ya

The wife and I went there on our honeymoon, mind you that was 25 yrs. ago, but when we went thru you could rent a cassette to listen to that narrated your trip. It would tell you how fast to ride and where to turn and stop to read things. That made it very good. I wonder if they still have something like that?

They do, it's CD's. All major National Park Battlefields will usually have them. -US Civil War Reenactor -19th Indiana

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Ya`ll be right--sent half a day just looking at the ship they pulled from the river and the old court house--alot of history there

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...I am sure this is only my first of many visits!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Agree with others. You can't really see much of Vicksburg in 2 hours - need at least half a day. One could use the whole day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts