GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Victory "Vision" is going to make all the other touring bike builders rethink their current touring models. This is good for all of us.
I and my significant other are dazzled by the "Vision's" clean lines and futuristic looks. We are both tall and she thinks the seating and leg position for the passenger look very comfy. I feel the same is true for the driver. We will go to the Cleveland Bike show next weekend and check it out in person.
I spent a couple of hours searching everything "Victory Vision" on the Internet and on their site.
One thing that I saw was a demo of a wind tunnel test on the "Vision". It showed that a lot of thought and tests went into the aerodynamics of this bike. The rider and passenger sit in a "still air cocoon" with no visible rider or passenger buffeting. A lot of you 1800 Goldwing owners complain about the wind hitting your helmet, body, or passenger in a bad way and that crosswinds make you nervous about riding.
I have read many topics on this board concerning windshield replacements, lack of motorized windshield adjustments, seat replacements, and foot positioning adjustments, all costing many hundreds of dollars to owners to make the bike fit. It looks to me that Victory has done their best to solve most of those problems so that we don't have to go to an after-market supplier. I really like that the seat on this bike has padding 4" thick! This should make all IRON BUTTS very happy!
I will never buy a $20,000.00 bike that requires me to change out original equipment parts with after-market parts in order to be able to ride it in comfort. Would anyone on this board throw out factory seats and factory steering wheels on a new $20,000.00 car?
I also noticed that with the floorboards elevated and moved forward, there is less to drag going around corners. If you look at it closely, you might agree that this bike has the potential to corner better than the Goldwing. There is a lot of air under that frame.
I can only hope that ABS is available on this bike. Without ABS I will not even consider buying it or any other touring bike. Honda would have sold me a 2006 1800 Goldwing if I didn't have to buy stuff costing thousands of dollars that I don't want or need in order to get it.

G

·
I would be surprised if they had ABS. If so that bike will be in the $25,000 range. Their basic stripped down cruisers are already in the $20,000 range. They don't have ABS on anything else they make and that would be an expensive proposition for Victory.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Look's Too GAY for me - No matter what it has or you can bolt on it. :D

G

·
Certainly looks different. Kinda a cross between a Wing, an Ultra, an ST1300 and maybe a '40 Ford Coupe. Maybe its one of those looks that needs to grow on me. My only question would be engine heat. If according to the first post, you sit in a "still air cocoon", what happens to the engine heat? Web site lists it as "air and oil cooled." Gonna be pricey...

Sorry, not ready to trade yet. :wink:

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ ... on/Models/

G

·
jbivens544 said:
Victory "Vision" is going to make all the other touring bike builders rethink their current touring models.
Having looked at their web site and seen the new touring model and considering their limited production... I doubt Honda will be too worried.

I also question most of jbivens554 comments. If enough of these Victorys (Victories?) hit the market, which is doubtful, the seat, windshield and exhaust manufacturers will be putting out aftermarket parts just like they do for the Wing. And soon you'll have $40,000 in your Victory.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Well, lets see. It has an adjustable windshield, 4" padded seat, seat height of 26.5", will come with GPS, MP3 player. Polaris saids it will have more items on it then any other tourer. They also said this bike will be their most powerful model yet. If the wind tunnel video is any indication it will have excellent wind protection. The pipes look great. Now the questions will be just how much power, is there any heat issues from the engine, price, ABS and just how it feels when you are on it. Victory is known to have good brakes, suspension and a reliable engine. They are also know for having a notchey trany. I think this is going to be good for everyone who rides touring bikes. As long as every company keeps pushing the envelope it will only mean better products no matter what brand of bike you want to ride.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BlueWing

Well said BlueWing.

·
Registered
784 Posts
It looks like a VTX with hardbags on it.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Hokie said:
Look's Too GAY for me - No matter what it has or you can bolt on it. :D
I agree ... I don't think Honda would worry about any competition from Victory.

I do not like the styling of this bike ... too "foofy" looking. I agree with Hokie

I like my Wing! :D

·
Registered
826 Posts
jbivens544 said:
Victory "Vision" is going to make all the other touring bike builders rethink their current touring models.
I will never buy a $20,000.00 bike that requires me to change out original equipment parts with after-market parts in order to be able to ride it in comfort................ Honda would have sold me a 2006 1800 Goldwing if I didn't have to buy stuff costing thousands of dollars that I don't want or need in order to get it.
Nonsense. Spoken like someone who will never own a bike. Always waiting for that perfect machine.

$20k. Dream on. Daughters BF just bought a limited edition Vegas Jackpot for $21k and it doesn't have squat for options. He's already changed the pipes, air intake, ordered a windshield and other things.

I will say that Polaris makes quality bikes though.

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
jbivens544 said:
Victory "Vision" is going to make all the other touring bike builders rethink their current touring models. This is good for all of us.
I and my significant other are dazzled by the "Vision's" clean lines and futuristic looks. We are both tall and she thinks the seating and leg position for the passenger look very comfy. I feel the same is true for the driver. We will go to the Cleveland Bike show next weekend and check it out in person.
I spent a couple of hours searching everything "Victory Vision" on the Internet and on their site.
One thing that I saw was a demo of a wind tunnel test on the "Vision". It showed that a lot of thought and tests went into the aerodynamics of this bike. The rider and passenger sit in a "still air cocoon" with no visible rider or passenger buffeting. A lot of you 1800 Goldwing owners complain about the wind hitting your helmet, body, or passenger in a bad way and that crosswinds make you nervous about riding.
I have read many topics on this board concerning windshield replacements, lack of motorized windshield adjustments, seat replacements, and foot positioning adjustments, all costing many hundreds of dollars to owners to make the bike fit. It looks to me that Victory has done their best to solve most of those problems so that we don't have to go to an after-market supplier. I really like that the seat on this bike has padding 4" thick! This should make all IRON BUTTS very happy!
I will never buy a $20,000.00 bike that requires me to change out original equipment parts with after-market parts in order to be able to ride it in comfort. Would anyone on this board throw out factory seats and factory steering wheels on a new $20,000.00 car?
I also noticed that with the floorboards elevated and moved forward, there is less to drag going around corners. If you look at it closely, you might agree that this bike has the potential to corner better than the Goldwing. There is a lot of air under that frame.
I can only hope that ABS is available on this bike. Without ABS I will not even consider buying it or any other touring bike. Honda would have sold me a 2006 1800 Goldwing if I didn't have to buy stuff costing thousands of dollars that I don't want or need in order to get it.
If you like the Victories looks great. It is still a twin thereby it will be slower and vibrate more. Six cyl will run smoother than two.

Not to slam the bike-it looks funny to ME,but I welcome all competition. I think the KTM influence will help Victory. And it is MADE IN THE USA.

Oh- and what perfect bike do you ride, the wing to me (5'10") which is the average height of a US male fits perfect. If you were designing a bike for the masses wouldn't you go with average size? And the seat TO ME is the best in the industry, but I dont weight 240lbs

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
"I will never buy a $20,000.00 bike that requires me to change out original equipment parts with after-market parts in order to be able to ride it in comfort. Would anyone on this board throw out factory seats and factory steering wheels on a new $20,000.00 car? "

I guess you will never buy a bike then. Try to design a bike that fits everyone comfortably knowing that riders range from 5ft to 6 1/2 ft, and weigh between 140 & 350 lbs..

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Here are the specifications:

Engine Type: Victory Freedom™ V-Twin
Cooling System: Air and Oil-Cooled
Displacement: To Be Announced
Bore and Stroke: To Be Announced
Maximum Torque: To Be Announced
Compression Ratio: To Be Announced
Fuel Injection: Closed Loop
Transmission: 6 Speed with True Overdrive
Final Drive: Carbon Reinforced Belt
Rake/Trail: 29 Degrees/5.4 inches
Front Tire Size: 130/70-18 radial
Rear Tire Size: 180/60-16 radial
Wheelbase: 65.7 inches
Width: 44.9 inches
Length: 104.9 inches (Tour) 103.5 inches (Street)
Front Suspension / Wheel Travel: To Be Announced
Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel: Adjustable / To Be Announced
Front Brake Type: Dual Disk, 3 Pistons per Caliper Floating Rotor
Rear Brake Type: Single Disk, 2 Pistons per Caliper Floating Rotor
Braking System: To Be Announced
Fuel Tank: Capacity 6 Gallons
Total Storage Volume: 6750 Cubic Inches (Tour) 3370 Cubic Inches (Street)
Seat Height: 26.5 Inches
Dry Weight: To Be Announced
Colors: Black, Super Steel Gray, Midnight Cherry
Warranty: To Be Announced
Pricing: To Be Announced

These are available at: http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ ... fications/

There are far too many "To Be Announced" to make a good decision on this, but at a first glance, I don't think Honda has to worry too much. Harley-Davidson is probably sweating bullets though.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
jbivens544 said:
Would anyone on this board throw out factory seats and factory steering wheels on a new $20,000.00 car?
Maybe not on this board. But lets face it, the more someone with passion spends on their car, the more likely they are to upgrade the wheels, suspension, engine, interior, audio, body, etc, etc.
It's because they have the money to do so.
Look at all those SUV's with 22"-26" wheels. And it just goes on from there.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
tjshelton said:
There are far too many "To Be Announced" to make a good decision on this, but at a first glance, I don't think Honda has to worry too much. Harley-Davidson is probably sweating bullets though.
I don't know about that either.
People buy Hondas for reliability and adventure. People buy Harly for image and misery. I don't think Victory could put a dent in anyone of those four catigories.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
nedro said:
jbivens544 said:
Would anyone on this board throw out factory seats and factory steering wheels on a new $20,000.00 car?

Maybe not on this board. But lets face it, the more someone with passion spends on their car, the more likely they are to upgrade the wheels, suspension, engine, interior, audio, body, etc, etc.
It's because they have the money to do so.
Look at all those SUV's with 22"-26" wheels. And it just goes on from there.
yep , it is done every day with new cars and the crowd that "wants a different look".

The after market industry for automobiles is a multi billion dollar a year deal.

8)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I don't see where Honda or any of the other touring bike manufacturers are going to go scrambling to the drawing table.

The new touring Polaris, is a pretty basic bike. A few frills, but not many. On their site, the table of specs has an awful lot of "to be announced" entries. If my memory serves me, they did not indicate what types of brakes or even the weight of the bike. Is that to say, that they do not know as of yet?

We piss & moan about how far apart and how miserable the Honda dealerships are. How man Victory shops do we see on our normal travels? Sure there are some, but not many. Even tires on some of the Victory models are proprietary and available only at "Your not so local" Victory dealer.

This new Polaris will tweak some folks interest and fill a need for some to be different.

How many have ridden a V-Twin Victory and felt the heat that comes off that engine.

I do not think this Victory, is a Victory at all.

Bulldog

1 - 20 of 237 Posts