GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to two honda/victory dealers recently, and while looking at new wings, both dealers tried to steer me into a new cross country instead! I have not ridden one, but both dealers said I would re-think the wing if I would try a victory. I must admit it felt good on the floor, but I can't imagine giving up the touque, and roll-on power of the wing---not to mention it's reputation for durability
Have any of you done a seat-of-the-pants comparison with the new 2012 cross country tour?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes i have ,both have good and bAd points. I have rode the cross country and bought a vision(like it better). Wife prefers the Vision over the wing.The cross country is nothing more then a cross roads with add ons. LOTS of buffing on CC and CR. in a cross wind not so with wing and vision. Go to about any victory dealer and they will let youy test ride about any of them.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I just bought the Cross Country for my wife to ride. You owe it to yourself to go ride. You will find that it has enough power, i think they have them rated at 96 HP. We put the taller windshild on it with wind deflectors on the forks and it is a very nice riding bike. If I wasn't such a fan of the Goldwing I would probably trade my Goldwing for another but the way it is, now we have both. They just came out with the Cross Country Tourer and that looks like a very nice bike with even more protection. Victory is making a very fine product.

Go ride it, they don't charge for that but be prepared as I think you will like it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I like the looks of the X-bikes, but I've put a handful of miles on my B-I-L's Vision. Better bike all around. Its more in line with the Wing than the X-bikes. They, IMO, are more like the Street Glide, with the fork mounted fairing that is more susceptible to winds than a frame mounted fairing is. Both are nice bikes, but I'd rather have the Vision/'Wing on a long trip.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Don't know anything about the Cross Country, however a Honda dealer tried to put me on a Vision. I sat on it and took an instant dislike to it from just sitting on it so didn't give it a fair evaluation. Having said that I think the Victory's are ugly and if I'm going to spend my money on anything it won't be something I think is ugly if it's the best product in the world. Just my .02.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I like the new crop of Victory bikes, but I'm going to assume the dealers don't necessarily have your best interests at heart. They probably have a higher profit margin or commission from a Vicotry sale.

That said, maybe the Victory would be better FOR YOU. You won't know until you try. I've ridden that motor or similiar in a friend's Victory Hammer and I don't think you'll find it lacking in power. The sixth gear wasn't needed until about 65 on the highway.

Good luck.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I bought my 2011 Cross Country (XC) after my Wing was totaled and haven't regretted it. I really liked my Wing but wanted something different and a little more basic, and some cheaper as I had an SSR at the time and Mama was complaining about the toys. The new Tour model is the same bike with add-ons, some of which I wish I had. But overall I am VERY pleased with the XC. Yes, it's a twin, air cooled and also belt drive. But it's smoother than any other Vtwin I have ridden and doesn't put out as much heat as the Wing, IMHO. Power and torque are abundant, and although maybe no as quick as the Wing from a rolling acceleration, I have never wanted for more !!! Wind protection on mine was lousy until I added the lower deflectors and a taller shield but the Tour comes with all that and more. i would love to have the lowers for leg protection but I'm used to it now and at $1000 i won't be adding them anytime soon.

If I was going to do a lot of long distance traveling I would definitely go back to a Wing or even an Venture but for occasional trips and a lot of weekend riding the XC is perfect for me. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the handling. It will amaze you how light this bike feels and how well it tracks through the twisties. There is no frame flex or fork wobble at any speed. And the riding position just adds to the handling. you sit low with your feet on the largest floorboards of any bike and the guages are right in front of you at eye level. I had the opportunity to test ride the 12 Wing recently and after riding the XC for a year the Wing felt awkward, TO ME. I felt as if i was sitting way high on the bike and the guages were way down on the ground. And I kept searching for 6th gear, although contrary to most opinions the Wing don't need no sticking 6th gear. It is meant to rev, not lope like a twin.I still like the Wing but if I were to get another it would NOT be a 12----I would go for an older one. As someone already said you owe it to yourself to test ride a XC Tour. But don't get on it expecting to compare it directly to a Wing. They are two horses of a different color !!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I think the Victory's are ugly and if I'm going to spend my money on anything it won't be something I think is ugly.
:agree:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Seriously, I don't see how anybody could go back to a v-twin after riding a Venture or a Goldwing.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
I test rode a Vision a Cross Roads and a Cross Country before buying the Wing and I have to admit the Vision was a very, very close runner up. Yeah the styling takes some getting used to but the Vision really is an excellent motorcycle. The CR/CC were good but not true long distance touring bikes, at least not the complete package like the Wing and Vision but they were pretty darn good. As I recall the saddle bag design on the CR/CC was a little more conventional.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Somehow I knew someone would bring up this picture!!!
Hey Rocky, we get it...you think the front of the Vision looks like Bozo the Clown!
You gotta admit, the resemblance is so obvious, it can't possibly be a coincidence

·
Registered
124 Posts
I really liked the feel of the XCT in the show room, so I went and got mamma to see how she felt, and she loved it too UNTILL I tried to sit on the bike with her! We are both big folks, I am 6'2" tall and 300, she is a size 14 or so, and for us, the trunk needed to be about 2" farther back as it had us belly to back enough we was uncomfortable. . . . Had the same problem on the Vision Tour too, so for us, Victory is out of the running.

The HD Roadglide/Electraglide both feel fine to us, PLUS they do have a trunk relocation kit available for them if more room is needed, and the Wing is great right out of the box too for us.

We have decided to go with the Wing and will be looking for a NEW 2010 as neither of us like the looks of the 2012. . . .:shrug:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have both a Victory Kingpin Tour and a Wing. Both have pros and cons but the the Victory is way more comfortable than the Wing for me. I don't have my legs under me and the bars fit perfect.
I have ridden three Visions and Two Cross Country's. The Vision with a stage one setup has close to the same acceleration as a Goldwing and creates a nice non buffeting cocoon around you, Six Speeds, motorized windshield, a gear indicator, it doesn’t take an hour to change the headlights or access the inner front faring like it did on my wing and it gets much better mileage.
Downside is it gets hot on the legs in the summer

Goldwing accelerates better, has unlimited power, has great balance and is really the ultimate touring machine with a proven record. Its an amazing bike but mine requires a bunch of accessories to manage the buffeting has electrical issues, the Goldwing shake and the seating position will eventually cause me to have knee surgery. Its made for average height people. To make a larger guy fit you have to modify the bike and spend some bucks.

As for handling I think the Vic can hold its own with the Goldwing with a tighter lean angle, it doesn’t have the preverbal Goldwing Shake like my wing does from 40 down to 35. (OK I can get a Traxxion upgrade, Change the head bearings, modify the anti-dive and spend another $2000 to stop something Honda should address from the beginning.) The Vision has great Tip over protection.

The Vision is a Love it or Hate it look and the Goldwing has a very aggressive but dated look.
After 30,000 miles maintenance on my Kingpin was changing the Brake pads and Oil. That’s it. I made the decision to by the win based on an emotional promise to a friend. Won't do that again and I will make the Goldwing work but both bikes have strengths.

Victory is a solid company that builds 100% American, with 70%+ American components in Spirit Lake Iowa. I take some solitude that my 2009 Japanese Goldwing was built in America but not any more.
I Love my Vic and learning to Love my Wing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts