GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of Colorado and just maybe taking the video camera with me. I know others have done this, so what are the mounts available ?
Ram mount ? Will you be able to see the road well with this type of mount ? If any of you have a pic of your camera mounted that would be excellent........ :)

·
Registered
19,062 Posts
This is an old mid nineties camera. The new ones work as well and are MUCH smaller. Video is average/good not what you would call professional.

I use a ram mount.The picture shows the long arm,I think the short one works much better.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Not to Hijack Mike's post but is someone could also reccomend a good video camera to be used on the Wing, that would be helpful too.

Happy New Year :beer3:

BAT

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I don't like anything hanging on my handlebars or getting in my way just in front of me so mounting a camcorder wasn't anything I wanted to worry about. Instead I opted for a bullet cam from Chasecam and added a remote button to control all of my camcorder actions. I ordered a couple of different mounts from Chasecam (a mount that clamps on to a few places on the bike and also a suction mount) and used them for a month or so, but grew tired of the hassle of installing them and removing them each time, plus all of the wires dangling while I was riding my bike. I ultimately mounted my bullet cam below my left mirror where the height was where I wanted it for my video. I had some Tulsa mirror wings and had to make another mirror wing that was slightly longer to accommodate my permanently mounted bullet cam. This has worked far better for me and the remote mounted on my left reservoir makes it safe simple and convenient to control all of the operations of my camcorder that is stored safely in my trunk (safe from the elements too).

Ultimately, I may add a 2nd bullet cam to use either mounted in the rear of the bike for some alternative views on my video or as a helmet cam to give some side views of the scenery as I ride .

Another disadvantage of mounting the camcorder in front of you is that you are always looking through your windshield so the clarity is just not as nice to watch.

It's certainly more added costs to go this route, but far more convenient, much safer to control and you never have to worry about your expensive camcorder getting damaged or in the way while you ride.

DaleC

P.S. Going to video was also a great alternative to those times when I was riding with friends and we just didn't stop as often to take more photos. I like to have a number of photos from my trips and rides and if you are traveling with others that just doesn't seem to happen as easily or often as you might want. There is nothing worse IMO than to come home from a great ride and not have some pictures of where you went and what you saw while you were riding.

Here is my photo of remote button prior to making my wiring a lot more hidden and stealth. I still use the same location now, but the wires are all hidden. I just haven't updated that photo. You can also see my bullet cam as it was mounted on my left highway peg.

·
Registered
19,062 Posts
DaleC's way is obviously better, the ram mount/video is if you have an existing camera and don't need the higher quality.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for your input. I'm in the investigation/check into it phase.
Looking on e-bay you can get an inexpensive dvd cam pretty resaonable.
For my purposes anyway. So I'm going look around and do some research and we'll see how it goes. Thanks again guys....... :)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
BAT1800 said:
Not to Hijack Mike's post but is someone could also reccomend a good video camera to be used on the Wing, that would be helpful too.

BAT
I picked up a Panasonic PV-GS300. It has optical image Stabilization which is better than what you can find on others. It's kinda pricy at around $500.00

Then I got a 5 hour battery from Hong Kong. Works great.. only costs about $40.00

Matt

·
Registered
430 Posts
Video Cam Setup

I've got a complete video cam/helmet camera setup I'd be willing to sell. I used it for my summer vacation trip with the cam mounted under the right mirror.

It's got everything you need to make it work. Wiring, camera, extra battery, extended battery, 12v adapter.

If anyone is interested I'll put together a list of everything with a price.

Don Saenz
Sanger, TX

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yellow Wolf might have some more info on this from his bike.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Re: Video Cam Setup

Don Saenz '03 Candy Red said:
I've got a complete video cam/helmet camera setup I'd be willing to sell. I used it for my summer vacation trip with the cam mounted under the right mirror.

It's got everything you need to make it work. Wiring, camera, extra battery, extended battery, 12v adapter.

If anyone is interested I'll put together a list of everything with a price.

Don Saenz
Sanger, TX
Don,

I just sent you an email... I may be interested.

BAT

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
One of the best places to check on reviews for Camcorders is http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ plus you can also get great reviews on camcorders (or anything electronic) at Cnet.com. If you opt to go the bullet cam route be sure to check on the compatibility with the bullet cam. In the case of the Chasecam bullet cam they have a compatibility chart at:
http://chasecam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65.

Video quality on the bullet cam is actually pretty good and you can choose from 3 different cams going up to 520+ lines of resolution. (also seen around the net as 580line cameras, actual tested resolution is 520+ lines).

DaleC

·
Registered
826 Posts
This is a ram mount with the long arm and cam plate. Got the mount from Cycle Gadgets http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RA ... RAM-CAMERA Bought the camera off of Ebay for $100 from these folks http://stores.ebay.com/Empire-Liquidato ... esstQQtZkm No great loss if I lose it but it works fine. Got batts and a charger from this guy http://stores.ebay.com/Battery-Merchants They are cheap and work fine too

Here's a clip I shot of my daughter on the way back from the Ozarks with this setup. http://tytex.net/aim1.mpg

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have had great success with the RAM camera mount. My video camera is a Sony HC32 which measures about 4.5" x 3.5". I have it mounted to a RAM camera platform on a 5 1/4" arm. I like the small size of the camera and I can easily check the monitor. I bought the long arm so I could vary positions of the camera around the vent and to get group trailing shots without me being in the shot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts