GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I bought a Sony HD Handycam that takes high speed SD cards and mounted it to the clutch fluid Housing on the handlebars with a Ram Mount.I am getting too much vibration and assume I just need to get a GoPro and be done with it..WHICH one as I see there are several types and which mount system is the best to eliminate vibration? If there is a solution for the Sony thats good as I love the camera.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
you might want to try and get it off the handlebars as they have a habit of increasing the vibration instead of dampening it... I really like the low shot from the ram I mounted on the crash bar, and others have found that engineering a mount in the vicinity of the side of the windshield or the mirror works well.... Others will be along shortly with equally valid opinions...:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
I mounted a sd video camera on the left bar and used 1/8 flat stock with a 90 degree bend to absorb the shock. It is not bad if you stay zoomed out a ways. Gets bouncy if you zoom in too far. D

·
Registered
848 Posts
I am guessing that you have already checked this but just in case - You did have the image stabilization feature turned to on with the Sony HD, correct?

·
Registered
999 Posts
You can forget about the GoPro and eliminating vibration, I've tried hard with two different mounts to eliminate the vibration, even dropping down to r1. If you stay below 45 it's OK but anything above and it will vibrate, very disappointing from GoPro, I expected better.

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
You can forget about the GoPro and eliminating vibration, I've tried hard with two different mounts to eliminate the vibration, even dropping down to r1. If you stay below 45 it's OK but anything above and it will vibrate, very disappointing from GoPro, I expected better.
Yup sold my go pro just yesterday.... Not impressed
I have the image stable motion on in my sony and it does a far better job!!!!
Its mounted on the bars!!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Both my Hoyt & GoPro deliver excellent results for me with zip vibration. I made my own mounts out of surplus mounts that I've accumulated thru the years. I've tried after market mounts, always reverted back to mounts I made myself.

I remove the front vent & the GoPro shoots thru the opening via a dash mount I fabricated. My Hoyt shoots off to the side via a mount affixed to the brake fluid rsvr. Takes less than 5 min. for me to remove/re-assemble the front vent. I filed off the little snag hook on the bottom of the vent assembly - makes things soooooooo much simpler; quicker; etc.

Most of my filming is done on PGR processions @ hway speeds (60-70+ mph). I've yet to experience any vibration. Zip; none; nada

My Hoyt has a "on the fly" zoom control & I get my best results w/the GoPro on R3. That's my story & I'm stickin to it !

adios - Dave / Missourahhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
You can't blame the camera for mounting it in a location with lots of vibration.

I've mounted mine on my Ducati, on the tank and on the side fairing, vibration has never been an issue, at speeds anywhere from 0 to 170mph, now the sound leaves a little to be desired.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Both my Hoyt & GoPro deliver excellent results for me with zip vibration. I made my own mounts out of surplus mounts that I've accumulated thru the years. I've tried after market mounts, always reverted back to mounts I made myself.

I remove the front vent & the GoPro shoots thru the opening via a dash mount I fabricated. My Hoyt shoots off to the side via a mount affixed to the brake fluid rsvr. Takes less than 5 min. for me to remove/re-assemble the front vent. I filed off the little snag hook on the bottom of the vent assembly - makes things soooooooo much simpler; quicker; etc.

Most of my filming is done on PGR processions @ hway speeds (60-70+ mph). I've yet to experience any vibration. Zip; none; nada

My Hoyt has a "on the fly" zoom control & I get my best results w/the GoPro on R3. That's my story & I'm stickin to it !

adios - Dave / Missourahhhhhhhhh
Want to let us in on some of your mounts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts