GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to purchase a light weight small video camera. I am looking at a JVC Everio GZ-MG335. It looks real good for the money. It retails for a round $425.00. I have found on the internet prices a round $299.00. I just wander if anyone on here has one or has used this model.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Small, Light Weight Video Camara

I am wondering if you want to use this camara while on your bike.

I bought a Sony Hi Def. hard drive camara and could not use it while on the bike. The vibration caused the hard drive to shut down for protection. I now understand that you need some sort of image stablization built into the camara to be able to video while on the bike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got my wife that vid camera for xmas this year, and we have used it once on the bike. She held it in her hand and took some footage while we were traveling down the road. For a low res camera, its not bad. You can tell when we hit bumps, abd that it was being handheld. but I believe by her holding it, her hand and arm acted as stablization. The hard drive never shutdown. It might be different if hard mounted to the shell though unless you can dampen the mount somehow.

Just my .0000000002 cents worth (Its a recession ya know)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
look at the go-pro wide lens,great cams!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
My SO is the designated photog when riding, but the full size camera was a little too heavy to carry all day. So I bought a Canon SD890IS digital camera for about $290. It is the size of a pack of cards and easily fits into a pocket.

Well this camera not only shoots great stills, it has a movie mode that out performs the Mini tape camera we have been using. It has a 5x zoom and the quality is great. What I like about it is that it puts the movie on a SD card and is much easier to get into the computer than the movies we shot on tape. And the camera switches between stills and movies with the flick of a switch. It may not be the BEST still camera nor the Best movie camera in the world, but it is perfect for someone riding on the back of a bike who doesn't want 10 lbs of camera hanging around her neck.;)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Canon SD1100 IS

My SO is the designated photog when riding, but the full size camera was a little too heavy to carry all day. So I bought a Canon SD890IS digital camera for about $290. It is the size of a pack of cards and easily fits into a pocket.

Well this camera not only shoots great stills, it has a movie mode that out performs the Mini tape camera we have been using. It has a 5x zoom and the quality is great. What I like about it is that it puts the movie on a SD card and is much easier to get into the computer than the movies we shot on tape. And the camera switches between stills and movies with the flick of a switch. It may not be the BEST still camera nor the Best movie camera in the world, but it is perfect for someone riding on the back of a bike who doesn't want 10 lbs of camera hanging around her neck.;)
I've upgraded to the Canon SD1100 IS. You can check the pics & videos on my website. RAM mounts hold the camera on the right side - I used the HB2, long arm and camera mount. I shoot through a very clean windshield.

·
Registered
466 Posts
In recent years the majority of digital cameras have added video capture as a feature. Some of these shoot 640x480x30fps onto solid state memory chips. This, in effect, gives you a 2-for-1 feature that I find very useful - shoot stills and video on one camera and edit them later. The solid state memory makes recording on rough surfaces possible and memory chips are cheap [I get 1hr of video on a 4GB SD chip along with several hundred pictures.]. If you want HD then you're probably going to have to buy a specific HD video camera.

I use a Canon G7 but have had problems with image bounce. Evidently image stabilization only works in picture mode. :( Still, on smooth roads it does a good job. I've got a RAM mount on the hydraulic reservoir and shoot through the windshield so it appears that the vibration is coming through the front end. I've been investigating a helmet mounted camera and remote recorder [$6-800] but the G7 is paid for and I can shoot OK with cruise control on or one-handed.

I'd suggest using what you have if your digital camera supports video. Either way, I'd suggest a careful evaluation of mounting systems as vibration can make good video difficult to view [Apple is coming out with a vibration reduction feature in their 09 version of iLife/iMovie that seems to remove most of the vibration - at least in the promos].

And please post what you discover works best. We're all looking for ways to take better video.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts