GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some great riding videos on the forum recently.

Those got me to thinking that I'd like to video tape some of my rides. What cameras do you guys taking the videos use? What is the best camera out there for use on a motorcycle?

Do you mount your camera so it is behind the windshield and therefore protected or do you mount it so it has a clear view?

Anything else I should know before making a choice?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
this is the most popular, it works very well, mount is up to you, I have one on the engine gaurd on the left side of the bike and one on the left handlebar, different mounts for different shots.

http://gopro.com/products/?gclid=CP6Ct7zil6kCFQpm7AodAGC1xA

I just got a GoPro HD Hero 960 at CostCo for $180. It's a "little brother" to the full Hero....save $$ if you don't need 1080P and 720P/60fps modes or the "bus" for connecting other devices like a display screen. Apparently otherwise it is the same video/audio quality.

Compared to the 960 on the GoPro website, the CostCo package also comes with 2 replacement lens protectors and 2 or 3 more mount pads. It also comes with an additional shell back that is "open" and allows for better audio than the waterproof back.

It records video in MP4. MP4 can be handled by Windows PCs (Windows Movie Maker) if you download the Codec Pack. It can also be set to take still shots at regular intervals for time-lapse of a subject, or "coverage" of a trip.

I did a couple of test vids with it and am very pleased. At 720P mode it takes roughly 1 MegaByte per second, so you should be able to record about an hour on a 4GB SD card.

Note that it's wide-angle lens and will give a "fish-eye" effect. See the sample videos on the GoPro website.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've had great video with a FLIP mounted on a RAM mount, looking through the windshield. I've had the FLIP for a while but I would consider the GoPro if I was currently in the market for video camera.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts