GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 hour video (put to music) I made from my trip out west last spring that is currently being circulated up the east coast. Most of it was shot from the bike (mounted to handlebars) with some stops in Grand Canyon, Zion, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco, Glacier park and Yellowstone.

If you want to see it drop me an email with your mailing address and I will get you added to the distribution list. All I ask is that you watch it in 3 or 4 days time and then mail it on to the next person on the list.

·
Registered
227 Posts
mounting camera

Fred

Want to do the same thing and need suggestions on mounting the camera.

Do you shoot through the windshield or have the camera mounted to the outside? What type of mount did you use for the camera?

I have the "Texlent" system on the bike and need info on mounting a camera.

Ron

·
Registered
96 Posts
Alaska Video

If people are interested in an Alaska video I just did let me know. While not as ambitious as three hours - 20 minutes long, footage from it is being used in a PBS show coming up on Alaska. The piece is also put to music - has NO motorcycle footage - unfortunately - didn't have one there but is lots of fun.

Wendell

Email me at [email protected].

It is available on DVD or VHS.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Video Mailing List is CLOSED

The Video tape mailing list is now CLOSED and I can not add any more names at this time.

I added 15 more names to the list and it will be circulated from the California to Texas to Florida and then up the midwest and to the east coast. When you get it will depend on where you live. It is currently in Oregon and is on it's way to California.

As to how I shot it, I shot through the windsheild with the camera focus set to infinity. I had to stop and clean the windsheild of bug frequently but other than that, it was not a problem. I used the image stabilization feature (Sony Hi8mm camera), which helped a lot. I mounted the camera via a RAM mount to the left handlebar.

I cut the ram ball off and tapped it. I then drilled a hole in my brake fliud res lid and ran the screw in from the bottom into the ram ball. Works like a champ.

Next I need to invest in some digital video editing equipment and get started on a maintenance video...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Trip West

Fred;
How much time did you allow for your trip and was it enough? My wife and I are planing a similar route this summer, only with the Knoxville, TN are as a point of origin and final destination. We had hoped to take a month, but a change in work may limit our time to 3 weeks and I'm worried we may have to split the trip over two summer vacations.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Travel Time

Jim,

We did it in 17 days total. We didn't rush, but we didn't dawdle either. The whole route was something like 6,400 miles. We averaged about 400 miles a day or so, with several days in the 200-300 mile range and two in the 600 mile range.

We stopped at 9 national parks and tried to take time out to enjoy the trip. We maybe could have added one or two more days I guess, if we had wanted to spend more time in Glacier or Yosemite etc. All in all, I thought it was timed about right, although my wife says she wished we had spent more time in some of the nicer location and stayed for a day or so in some spots (but she always says that).

We had so much fun, we are planning a repeat trip the first week of June this year. This time I want to see Bryce Canyon in Utah and hit some of the places I missed the first time around, like the wine country in Northern Calif, and I want to explore some of Idaho too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks Fred. Sounds like we may be able to make it if we blast thru the first and last 1000 miles. We can see thse areas on shorter trips. We haven't established the date yet. We were thinking mid July.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts