GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started playing with video on my bike. I have a Sony DVR on a ram mount and it does a fair job, but I know there are much better ways. I also checked out helmetcamera.com. It appears he may have what I'm looking for. His camera's will connect to my current Sony. I really like the looks of his Extreme helmet mount. Easy to connect and move around to whereever you want.

What resolution lens & lux level are ya'll using? Helmet mount, handle bar mount, fairing mount etc? I tried the handle bar mount, but it transmits a lot of vibration.

Looking for some tips from folks that have already done this.

Thanks

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Ask Yellow Wolf. He does it for a living and does excellent work

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
bloodhound85 - I went with a Chasecam bullet cam and connect that to a Sony DRC-HC32 camcorder. While I purchased a couple of their different mounts that I could move around the bike, I wasn't that excited about the hanging wires or the hassle of moving the bullet cam at stops even though I liked the idea of adding a different view and prospective camera angle to my video. In the end, I made a permanent mount for my bullet cam in a Tulsa - like mirror wing that I made and the cam is positioned just below my left mirror all the time. It seems to be a good unobstructed view plus it's not in my way while riding the bike. Vibration is not really a big issue there either (although I didn't find it a problem with my other mounts either).

The best thing about my setup is the remote button that controls everything on the camcorder (on, off, record, stop recording, plus shows me with various lights when the battery is low or the film cassette is at the end) stored safely inside my rear trunk. I put that on top of my left handlebar reservoir so it's easy to access it and a lot safer to ride my Wing on technical roads that require my attention. The remote also saves on the battery usage of the camcorder, but just in case, I have a setup to recharge my spare battery on board too.

The biggest problem I have is to remember to stop once in a while to clean my lens on the bullet cam and not get home and find I had a bug on a portion of my video I just made. You also end up having a lot of luggage with extra cassettes, a few more wires for this and that (although on the bike all of my wires are under the plastic), etc., etc.

Videos of the roads you have been on is a great way to capture some of the sights you saw on a ride, but were not able to stop and take photos. I love to take pictures on my rides, but I found there were too many instances when I rode with others that we didn't stop for that great picture (and worse, pictures), because we didn't want to ruin the tempo of the ride or we simply had a lot of miles to cover on the overall ride. The editing can be very enjoyable, but also very time consuming along with requiring a lot of computer power to run the various processes and a big bunch of hard drive capacity since they usually take a lot of space for not many minutes unless you run them through an editing encoder, which will substantially reduce the overall file size and end in producing a wmv file format.

Ultimately, I expect to maybe add a 2nd bullet cam to get a rear view, but just haven't gone that far because it seems way too frivolous (although it would be nice).

DaleC

http://www.chasecam.com/

·
Registered
552 Posts
DaleC said:
The best thing about my setup is the remote button that controls everything on the camcorder (on, off, record, stop recording, plus shows me with various lights when the battery is low or the film cassette is at the end) stored safely inside my rear trunk. I put that on top of my left handlebar reservoir so it's easy to access it and a lot safer to ride my Wing on technical roads that require my attention. The remote also saves on the battery usage of the camcorder, but just in case, I have a setup to recharge my spare battery on board too.
Dale...

Is this the LANC set-up, or is it a regular remote that you are using? What are you using for a recharge? Do you have an inverter?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
azblackbird said:
Dale...

Is this the LANC set-up, or is it a regular remote that you are using? What are you using for a recharge? Do you have an inverter?
Yes, I'm using the LANC remote control that I purchased through Chasecam along with my bullet cam and mounts. I just added an extension that I got through Radio Shack so it reaches back to the rear trunk.

I use an inverter for the recharge infrequently since my remote works really well to conserve my battery power and I have a backup battery also.

DaleC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts