GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a video setup to put on my bike, I don't know anything at this time so all info is needed please.:excited:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
999 Posts
GoPro, IMO and a few others, it seems like a well thought out system and appears to work well with product support. Lot's of info out there re: GoPro product and experiences on this board.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have used a traditional sony video camera, flip video and now gopro hd.
The sony was great for vibration reduction and the zoom.
The flip just didn't work well at all.
I have had the go pro for a few weeks and really like it. The picture is just excellent and the multiple mounting options are outstanding. Drawbacks are no zoom and no image stabilization. It's also waterproof!

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
I picked up a vivitar that is all memory card based and uses 3 aaa batteries, it has a fixed infinite focus lens. I have a snap shoe mount that is on the drink holder on the left bar. It has image stabilization and was free from wellsfargo for some points on the credit card rewards program.

I did not want tapes, I did not want rechargable had to plug in batteries I press the button on top it takes movies. I plug into puter and it goes to windows live movie maker and i can put on utube or whatever.

There are a lot better cameras but I did not want to put a good camera on the handle bars. Don

look here

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/video/video.php?v=2044970677012&comments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Pretty much the only one you can find out there (on the shelf) is the HD Hero. Don't know which "kit" you're looking for, but Best Buy had them on sale online for $239.

I bought one each of the Motorsports model (see the mounts in the bottom left picture of the six panel array) and the Helmet model - the difference being the mounts that come with each. Also bought a roll bar mount, handlebar mount, chest mount, and a bag of mounting hardware.

All models carry the same camera and come with the waterproof housing, two backs for the housing (sealed and vented - we use the vented because we don't ride in the rain and it'll keep the camera from condensing).

All shoot in 5 different modes and up to 1080P resolution.

Easy to use, easy to mount.

I use Windows Movie Maker as my primary video editor, but also have used Sony Vegas Pro and Pinnacle Powerdirector as well. All are great, but the Sony software has a steeper learning curve.

Our first video here.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Everyone raves about the GoPro, but from what I've seen, I like the video I get with my point and shoot Canon better. The only draw back with it is memory, but I just carry extra SD cards. From what I've seen of the GoPro, the angle of view is too extreme wide angle, and is fixed, and they're over priced.

Here are a couple of examples. The first is shot with by my friend with his GoPro as he followed me. The second is made with my Canon on my bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPeUUl25LUA&feature=feedu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63EOqXqYasA

·
Registered
35 Posts
i now have a 4kcam system from england on my scoot, i have tried the gopro system and i was always replacing batteries, i now have the cam system wired to the bike power and have it set to come on when the bike starts, with the optional 16gig card i now have 12 hours of hd vid after a about a month of riding i found that the cable from the bullet cam crapped out causing myself to do some tricky soldering to get the cam backl up and running, the dvr that comes with the kit is great but the overall kit is lacking, so far im pleased with the overall specs of this system but time will tell if it survives my long rides, howlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, link to the site is included below

http://www.4kam.com/index.htm

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Everyone raves about the GoPro, but from what I've seen, I like the video I get with my point and shoot Canon better. The only draw back with it is memory, but I just carry extra SD cards. From what I've seen of the GoPro, the angle of view is too extreme wide angle, and is fixed, and they're over priced.

Here are a couple of examples. The first is shot with by my friend with his GoPro as he followed me. The second is made with my Canon on my bike.
Could not watch because the added music made my ears bleed. Engine music would have been just fine.

·
Registered
792 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPeUUl25LUA&feature=feedu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63EOqXqYasA

Maybe your buddy needs to take his camera out of wide angle mode and shoot standard HD resolution. Lots of folks like the wide angle mode because they capture a lot of what they're passing without having to adjust the camera. I prefer the standard res 1080P mode.

The resolution on the GoPro is not fixed - you have choices.

Your point and shoot is probably fine when it comes to this single purpose, but can you mount your point and shoot to your engine guard in three seconds?

I can with my GoPro.

Can you stick it to your trunk in two seconds and shoot behind you? Helmet? Mirror? Saddlebag?

I can with my GoPro.

Can you use your point and shoot underwater, then mount it on your car hood/door/trunk/bumper/roof in seconds?

I can with my GoPro.

Can your point and shoot do time lapse photography?

GoPro does.

I paid $239 for a full kit, camera/ballistichousing and a stack of different mounts. Batteries are $19 - CHEAP. I don't know what you consider too expensive/over-priced, but $250 for a HD video camera that shoots 60FPS and comes with a stack of different options and two batteries isn't expensive at all from where I'm sitting. A decent point and shoot costs as much and has none of the flexibility.

If all you do is sit on a motorcycle and drive down the road then I see your point. Most of the people I know personally that have bought the GoPro choose it because they have more than one interest and appreciate the versatility of the unit out of the box.

I read a bit on the HD camera forums and most guys who choose other brands of HD cameras end up fabricating mounts to suit their needs. There isn't a lot of community support. The GoPro crowd is different.

OBTW - your point and shoot video is very distorted on the right side - there are wavy distotions that come and go on the right side which are noticible right off the bat - probably from your windshield. Also - the reflections in your windshield kill the video quality - they're distractions..

I believe being able to pan the camera is key in being able to give the viewer a nice view of what you're seeing as you ride - not showing them what the road in front of you looks like. I think fixed mounts, aside from being a contributor to the overall video, pretty limiting and close to boring. When I use a fixed mount, I make sure it's not shooting through anything..

·
Registered
792 Posts

It's also impossible for me to compare the two videos because yours is only available in 480P and your buddy upped his in 720P.

I'll say this much, his wide angle does wonders for the illusion of speed, and I was able to run his in HD and freeze frame it to understand his instrument readings so I could tell how fast you were moving.

;)

If my camera takes a rock I buy a new housing for $39. What do you do with your point and shoot? I'm thinking new camera.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Seriously?

All you have to do is turn it down and put on something on you like.
My thoughts too. :agree:
Bud is just learning his camera. He was also shooting through his windshield, which hurt the quality too. I have seen other videos that I thought were of much better quality from the GoPro.

·
Registered
792 Posts
My thoughts too. :agree:
Bud is just learning his camera. He was also shooting through his windshield, which hurt the quality too. I have seen other videos that I thought were of much better quality from the GoPro.

I've seen other cameras that put the GoPro to shame when talking straight video quality. What sold me was the balance of it's function - it does many things well.

I enjoy many different hobbies and of all the options I considered the GoPro, for me, was the best thing out there for the price.

I really liked the area you guys were riding - looked like a good, good time. I had a guy ask me the other day why I shot video when I was out riding. I told him someday I might not be able to ride anymore and I'd always have something to look back on and enjoy. That, and I really enjoy the process and creativity you can come up with. Serious health issues last year (I'm eight months out of a transplant) opened my eyes to how fragile life can be.

I'm just learning this video gig myself - I've had the camera out 5 or 6 times and of those rides I've gotten video I've considered worthy of posting to share. The first two were disasters. On one, the case condensed (my fault) and I shot through a haze of fog for three hours. On another, I was on my harley and shot through my windshield and with the reflection of all the chrome I may as well have pointed it at the sun. Horrible.

On the other - some people can't overcome their need to throw rocks at other people's choices around here. Seems like it would be easier to just clam up and move on.. :roll:

Music sounded fine to me. :thumbup: Video looked good too. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
On the other - some people can't overcome their need to throw rocks at other people's choices around here. Seems like it would be easier to just clam up and move on.. :roll:
. :thumbup::thumbup:
Fair enough, and probably a correct assesment. However a lot of people over edit pics, videos, etc. You do not have to use every option on your software because it is there...sometimes less makes a better video. I did think both videos were fairly good quality...cheapest wins. I'll move on now

·
Registered
792 Posts
Fair enough, and probably a correct assesment. However a lot of people over edit pics, videos, etc. You do not have to use every option on your software because it is there...sometimes less makes a better video. I did think both videos were fairly good quality...cheapest wins. I'll move on now

I completely agree with this.

I'll say this - as a newb to video editing - it's not as easy as I thought it would be. On the video I posted in this thread - my first cut was 26 minutes.

Umm. No.

If you didn't watch it, I'd appreciate it if you did and then give me your honest opinion on it - including the music.:tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc8bvFM8G6Y

I don't think any of us want to post a bad or boring video but it's hard to get criticism from family or friends - of course they're going to love it whether they really do or not..

Know what I mean? My video has 190 some views and one comment. Not easy to improve if no one is telling you what you're doing wrong. Music is subjective, but constructuve criticism is always welcome IMO.

Sometimes it's hard to judge what viewers might appreciate so in the end I include what I like so at least one person is happy. LOL..

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
My opinion is that the video quality is good. Which camera is that? My constructive criticism would be keep this type of video to under 90 seconds and to only one musical selection. (If any is needed) Music should match the video. Ozzies "Crazy Train" and Louis Armstrong "Wonderful World" should not be interchangable but than again that's my opinion and we all know what that's worth. You did a good job with it overall.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts