GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are riding to Alaska in June (3 week trip)

any tips on viewing Bears up there ?

i hear lots of folks get to see them catching Salmon, when and where is prime time for that ?

THANKS for your thoughts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Not long ago I watched an episode on TV....(Discovery Channel) Where they showed the bears catching salmon etc. That area is now closed to the public. I would imagine there are other area's where you would be able to view the bears. How about bino's from 500yds.....LOL That's all the closer I 'm willing to get........... :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Alaska/bears

Went in June this past summer and it was too early for the bears and the feeding. Did see a couple on the road, literally walking down the road.
Was told by the locals that July is an optimum month for bear watching.
Good luck.

W

·
0 Posts
Mike L said:
That area is now closed to the public.
If not already, I'll bet there's a lot of area's closed to the public up there during the salmon run.

Cycledude ...........I never been up there for that, but I'm thinking that would be late fall just before hibernation.

Sometime back on TV they showed this tour outfit on some rapids in Alaska were grizzles bears would fish for salmon.
There was a national waiting list, but it cost $8.000 to $10.000 for 1 hour.
They hiked at the same time every day to a mound along side the rapids with tons of video and camera equipment carried in from people world wide.
The secret was, bears are creatures of habit, and got use to humans there at the same time and spot everyday so as long as they stayed on the mound,
kept quiet, they were ok to stand and take their pictures.
They showed big grizzles walking just feet from the mound the people were standing on.

Awesome show...........but not for me.
BTW the guides were armed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The wife and I used to go to lower WV and watch the black bears.
We found the best way was to tie a Pork Chop around the kids neck, and just her wonder around the fields for a while :lol:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Brown bears and black bears are like chickens; I took this pic on vacation 2 months ago:

You're talking about Kodiak bears; let me know how that goes for ya. Those things are killing machines.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Take a few cans of tuna with you. LOL's I know someone who just got the short end of the stick when moose hunting. They shot a really large moose and just started to gut it out. Then all hell broke loose and a really large boar grizzly charged them. The one guy will live but with a lot of damage to one of his legs. They shot it point blank with the guys leg in his mouth. So, make sure your real careful!!!!!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
most times they will be as much afraid of you as you are of them,but do not ever get between a sow and her cubs,and do not appear to be a threat to their food.
Don't ever be in a position where you would surprise a bear.

In 20 years of working in Alaska I've watched many feeding bears without a problem.I've been pretty close to a few,and never felt threatened.
We did have a chile attacked and killed by a bear in 1992,so there are exceptions.
Always be extremely cautious.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Cycledude, ride down to Homer, well worth the ride anyway, and take a short floatplane trip to Kodiak Island. There are allot of tours to take you bear watching. We saw allot of browns on our trip last June so we didn't go over to Kodiak Island, but it was pretty reasonably priced.

Dave

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
From my time on Kodiak back in 1960-61, I remember that bears have notoriously poor eyesight, but can smell real good. That's why you always want to be downwind of a bear - he can't smell you so he doesn't know you're there.

I would guess that the bears would feed mostly during the salmon runs, which on Kodiak used to be in late July, early August. That's when we saw most of them, anyway.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
67 Posts
You might want to check with Timothy Treadwell and see what he has to say about Brown Bears :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts