GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It is downloaded to google drive so you don't have to stream which =much faster. I finally got my internet fixed after being on the phone for another half hour with tmobile home internet. They said I kept losing the connection everyday cause it was switching from 4g to 5g and 5g is not available in my area. So, they made it so it stays on 4g. Hoepfully this will fix it. Still dumping them for greenlight (fiber optic) when it comes. Won't be long now. I was paying $75 for spectrum and dumped them . At least Tmobile is $50 but so is greenlight and it's faster

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
222 Posts
What's the advantage of google drive? Don't you still have to use the internet to view on Google Drive?
Yes, which is why we keep urging the OP to DOWNLOAD the videos. The file type will help us recommend a good video player app for the android tablet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes, which is why we keep urging the OP to DOWNLOAD the videos. The file type will help us recommend a good video player app for the android tablet.
I have them downloaded to my desktop. the problem is getting them on google drive and getting them to work on there. If you mean when I click on properties on my desktop, it says.mp4 file windows media player. The problem is getting them on google drive to play. I got them now though. For some reason it wouldnt let google drive play them immediatley after. I think Im good now. It was converting them to something IDK

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
1,055 Posts
I have Fred's DVD's and just put them on a thumb drive to watch them on my Samsung tablet. They would not play right no matter what I did, but then I downloaded an app called VLC (Icon looks like an orange traffic cone). It plays his videos perfect with no problems going to full screen, pausing, skipping backwards about 15 seconds at a time to watch something over, or pausing. I'm not associated with that app at all just sharing with the OP that it works on my phone, tablet, and a laptop version for playing Fred's videos.

·
Super Moderator
9,141 Posts
I have them downloaded to my desktop. the problem is getting them on google drive and getting them to work on there. If you mean when I click on properties on my desktop, it says.mp4 file windows media player. The problem is getting them on google drive to play. I got them now though. For some reason it wouldnt let google drive play them immediatley after. I think Im good now. It was converting them to something IDK
I'm confused. Google drive is storage on the cloud, so you still have to stream them to watch them. It probably took a while for them to all upload to the cloud. If the MP4s were on the local machine, why not just watch them with Media Player? Then you don't need an internet connection at all. :unsure:

People seem to be talking about Google Drive like it's local (on the device itself) storage.

·
Registered
755 Posts
My method has been to download them to my laptop (it's a 2014 MacBook Pro with a 256GB SSD and 8 GB of memory) and watch them directly on that screen. If you load them to Google Drive, you will still need to stream the data via the Internet which is about like streaming from Vimeo. In that you have a tablet, you may have to be selective in which episodes you download to that device. Or as others have pointed out, attach a USB drive, or some other external drive (many are available that offer fairly high speed transfer) and download the files to that device and install an application capable of displaying those file types. I downloaded the videos as "mp4" files and they're something over 105 GB in required disk space. I use QuickTime Player to run the videos on my laptop.
There's a couple products that I have purchased for use with the Goldwing that have made the maintenance and servicing much easier and Fred's videos rank at the top of that list. I know those videos more than paid for themselves when I changed out the air filter. One of the others is a set of plastic trim tools useful for removing the various push pins and other pieces of the cowling and body. Plus a JIS #2 Phillips head screwdriver and one of those little 4oz pump oil cans (it's great for filing the final drive). Sorry, I'm way off topic again.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm confused. Google drive is storage on the cloud, so you still have to stream them to watch them. It probably took a while for them to all upload to the cloud. If the MP4s were on the local machine, why not just watch them with Media Player? Then you don't need an internet connection at all. :unsure:

People seem to be talking about Google Drive like it's local (on the device itself) storage.
I always thought Google Drive was in the cloud also so I don't understand what the advantage is. Might as well just watch them from Vimeo.

·
Super Moderator
9,141 Posts
I always thought Google Drive was in the cloud also so I don't understand what the advantage is. Might as well just watch them from Vimeo.
Right. I think the problem was with the Vimeo player itself. So if one wants to watch it using other software he needs to download it. I wouldn't bother putting it back up in the cloud but I guess it's a matter of preference.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My method has been to download them to my laptop (it's a 2014 MacBook Pro with a 256GB SSD and 8 GB of memory) and watch them directly on that screen. If you load them to Google Drive, you will still need to stream the data via the Internet which is about like streaming from Vimeo. In that you have a tablet, you may have to be selective in which episodes you download to that device. Or as others have pointed out, attach a USB drive, or some other external drive (many are available that offer fairly high speed transfer) and download the files to that device and install an application capable of displaying those file types. I downloaded the videos as "mp4" files and they're something over 105 GB in required disk space. I use QuickTime Player to run the videos on my laptop.
There's a couple products that I have purchased for use with the Goldwing that have made the maintenance and servicing much easier and Fred's videos rank at the top of that list. I know those videos more than paid for themselves when I changed out the air filter. One of the others is a set of plastic trim tools useful for removing the various push pins and other pieces of the cowling and body. Plus a JIS #2 Phillips head screwdriver and one of those little 4oz pump oil cans (it's great for filing the final drive). Sorry, I'm way off topic again.
What do you mean by selective in which episodes I download?
I know all about the jis. Used to work on carb bowls and strip the screws a lot. Now I can insert the jis into the screw and it is locked on. It even stays on in the air if you let go. That's when you know you have one.
I thought my method for the final drive was great. No can or any thing else needed. Just empty the bottle and toss. No mess either. As long as you don't squeeze too hard.

·
Registered
755 Posts
What do you mean by selective in which episodes I download?
I do not know the storage capacity of the tablet you have. I presume it's limited and all of Fred's videos together will require over 100+ GB of storage space. Some episodes are quite large, some are not and most tablets that I do know anything about don't offer that much local storage. If you're working on a given task, I'm suggesting to only download the episode(s) you need at that time. You could then delete those from your storage and have space available for downloading others for different tasks. Just a thought. I prefer to have all the videos available on my local hard drive.

·
Registered
222 Posts
CC - Even my OLD Samsung 10" SM-T580 will accept a 64GB MicroSD card. Put the card into an adaptor and INSERT it into your computer. Open the window and DRAG the pertinent videos you want to watch. Then REMOVE the MicroSD card from the PC, take it out of the adaptor, and stick it back into the Tablet. Then go to the Playstore and download VLC or any of a million video players if the existing player will not work. This is so easy. Stop trying to stream from Drive. Forget about Drive. Drive is used to STORE files. Always play the videos locally and you'll be fine. EOD.

·
Registered
2016 F6B Standard
209 Posts
Once a Viemo video file is downloaded to the PC, the OP has a "FILE" which can be "Copied" to the Tablet in two different ways:
1. Copy the file on the PC to a USB drive, then insert the USB drive into the Tablet and Copy the file to the Tablet. (Commonly called SneakerNet.)
2. Copy the file on the PC to Google drive, then open Google Drive on the Tablet and Copy the file to the Tablet. (Commonly called CloudNet.)
I'm not suggesting Streaming from Google Drive but Copying the file to the Tablet for local use on the Tablet.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Once a Viemo video file is downloaded to the PC, the OP has a "FILE" which can be "Copied" to the Tablet in two different ways:
1. Copy the file on the PC to a USB drive, then insert the USB drive into the Tablet and Copy the file to the Tablet.
2. Copy the file on the PC to Google drive, then open Google Drive on the Tablet and Copy the file to the Tablet.
I'm not suggesting Streaming from Google Drive but Copying the file to the Tablet for local use on the Tablet.
There is no need to copy the Video files to the Internal Memory of a Tablet that is probably already low in space. He says he has a Samsung tablet, which take MicroSD cards as external memory. Just put the video files on the MicroSD and play them from there.

·
Registered
2016 F6B Standard
209 Posts
There is no need to copy the Video files to the Internal Memory of a Tablet that is probably already low in space. He says he has a Samsung tablet, which take MicroSD cards as external memory. Just put the video files on the MicroSD and play them from there.
You are correct...That's another way...To have the "FILE" available "LOCALLY" on the Tablet.

Whatever works to not have to "STREAM" the video over the slow Internet connection or use the Vimeo app.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, the tablet is 32gig so good amount considering it's only a tablet
And a lot of the videos are about 1 gigish? I don't have any problem if using a. Video on YouTube and following it in my garage. I'll figure it out. I'm kind of on a time schedule. Ineed to get all this stuff installed before the weekend. Itsbeen fun but I got a LOT of accessories installed already. Trunk rack and fog lights next. I REALLY appreciate all the replies!. Right now I'm using Honda instructions which are OK, not the best. But I'm making progress. No problems so far going smooth, but this is a HUGE project! I'm going to love the bike when I'm done though. Can't wait. Putting a ceramic coat on it too :) thanks again everybody

21 - 35 of 35 Posts