GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to determine the exact date my Wing was assembled using the VIN #?

·
Registered
871 Posts
The 10th digit of the VIN is the year of manufacture.

If you look at the VIN sticker on the triple tree on the upper right edge of the sticker you will see a month/year of manufacture.

Mine says: 7/06

Hope this helps...

Lance

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, I found the July '05 but was wondering what the actual 'birthday' was. I'd like to have a badge made with the actual assembly date. Since I posted I did some searching and someone on the board said Honda does not release the actual date.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You mean to tell me you didn't get a birth certificate when you bought your wing? I thought all wingers got one when they named their bikes :wink:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Honda probably does not release the actual assembly date because they don't want you to know if it was assembled on a Monday or Friday or after a long weekend. Who would want one that had been put together after a New Years or Fourth of July Holiday weekend when people had been partying hard for three or four days???

I think mine must have been assembled on a Wednesday, because it has been mostly trouble free.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I do not know the day my 2004 was built ....

I do know it was unit number 35 built by the VIN on it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I suppose you could send Honda a letter and give them the serial number series (last five). Obviously they know exactly when the bike was produced. Whether or not they are willing to share.....???

Lance

·
Registered
302 Posts
To Tony in AZ,

2004 model was I think the only model they started assembling before Homecoming which is last weekend of July. They now wait til past Homecoming. I dont know why but that's Honda.
Since your bike has number 35 and they do built Goldwing in batch of 20 yours was the 15th of the second batch of 2004 wings, so they had fouthteen made in this batch, after assembling VTXs, so they had the hang of it when they got to yours. I would be more scared if it was a 21 or a 41 ....

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
orangewingxlr8 said:
To Tony in AZ,

2004 model was I think the only model they started assembling before Homecoming which is last weekend of July. They now wait til past Homecoming. I dont know why but that's Honda.
Since your bike has number 35 and they do built Goldwing in batch of 20 yours was the 15th of the second batch of 2004 wings, so they had fouthteen made in this batch, after assembling VTXs, so they had the hang of it when they got to yours. I would be more scared if it was a 21 or a 41 ....

interesting stuff.

I have seen zero troubles with this 1800 in 33k miles cept for the recalls that many bikes went through.

When I bought this bike in early september 2003 , there was an orange ABS 2003 & this 2004 sitting on the floor. Being a thinking guy I bought the 2004 to "avoid" the frame recall that some folks ( read that as Fred H) thought was coming down the pipe line. My plan did not work since my bike was in the recall VIN listing

8)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
MN Wing, When your wing arrived at the dealership, there was a postcard sized information sheet stapled around the throttle cables. This is Hondas version of a build sheet. This tells everyone on the line, what exactly goes on the bike. This sheet also has a date in the code. Very easy to decipher. My new 07 has an 08-06 date on the VIN tag. The build sheet has a code of 060818-003-00. Also in the upper corner of the tag is the number 18. Therefore I assume mine was built Friday August 18th.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
07, 2,000 miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts