GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a classic old bike 1980 Honda CB750C to compliment my Wing. Its in great shape with only 8500 miles but I have a problem maybe someone can offer advice. The stator and recitifier have been replaced and its still only putting out 12.4 volts. Anyone been through something like this before?
Thanks

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I recently purchased a classic old bike 1980 Honda CB750C to compliment my Wing. Its in great shape with only 8500 miles but I have a problem maybe someone can offer advice. The stator and rectifier have been replaced and its still only putting out 12.4 volts. Anyone been through something like this before?
Thanks
Part of the CB750C Charging issues is dated.What happens is when one part goes out it strains the rest of the charging system and it too goes out.

You need to replace the voltage regulator now to complete the three parts of the charging system.

Now a day we are spoiled with a Alternator,but in those days we had separate parts to replace.

Chances are who ever owned the bike was rolling the dice in replacing the Rotor then the stator and just gave up when it didn't pan out.Some don't know how to test each part to see what is defective and needs replacing.

9 out of 10 times the rotor shorts and takes out the voltage regulator/rectifier.Most of the time the Stator windings are fine.

I just restored the CB900C in my sig.
These are great old machines that still have quite a following.

Here is a great place for you to scope out now that you are a vintage CB750 owner. http://www.cb750c.com/modules.php?name=Forums

Their search feature actually works and is "Encouraged" lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
also replace your battery cables more than one bike has fooled a mechanic. esp the ground cable . the factory ones were min size and after 30 some years they dont work as well as they should . just get get some cable slightly larger than your stock cables and make your own. that has solved more than one charging problem. and yes we are spoiled by the charging system we have on our wings. as i have said more than once up until a few years ago our systems had the same output as a fullsized kenworth semi had.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The charging system on the DOHC Honda's is weak. Your voltage is pretty normal at idle. Here's a test to see if its working like it should. Start it and let it warm up, then put on the high beams. The light ought to be fairly dim at idle, but get very bright when the rpms are above about 3000. If the headlight brightens up, then in all probability its working correctly.

Rocky is correct in that the charging system is a three legged stool. Normally if one part goes out it takes the rest of it with it. Oregon motorcycle electrics makes a better rectifier than the one Honda sells, cheaper too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts