GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a ride over to Lexington,Ky on I-64.
Va. is remodeling their rest areas & have porta johns outside even @ our Welcome Center. :oops:
Gives a real Red Neck Welcome to our visitors. :D
Hope they're finished by Winter!!
Ride Red,
the hobo

·
Registered
756 Posts
The new rest area on I-64 near Williamsburg/Colonial Downs is a work of art. About half of it is a waste of our tax dollars. A whole lot of empty space inside, but at least they smell better than they used to.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:shock:

GP,
I agree totally with yer whole post, I think they need to fire the Foo-Foo folks and go for the functional, clean high-speed look but I do like that monster sized back parkin' lot. :wink: Don't have to park the Wing too close to the big rigs. 8)

:flg:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I am going to Virginia on the 13th of Oct... anyone have a idea of what to expect as far as weather at that time of year ????

cosmic

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
I am going to Virginia on the 13th of Oct... anyone have a idea of what to expect as far as weather at that time of year ????

cosmic

Depending on what part of VA. you're headed to.

You should be fine with a warm/leather jacket in the evenings and perhaps no jacket at all during the day, if you come to Va. Beach. I'd expect temps to be low 50's / 60's during the nights maybe mid 60's - low 70's during the day. The weather here is pretty mild. I ride year round .

Up in the mountains it'll be quite a bit chillier, I would imagine 30's - 50's.

8)

·
Registered
50 Posts
VA Oct. weather

Gotta narrow it down more than that.
From the mountains, to the valleys
to the ocean, by the shore,

Got lotsa differences this time of year depending where you are.

2soon

·
Registered
50 Posts
Guys, if rest areas are what you visit while on vacation you really need to get out more. :cry:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Hey Topster,
Those are like that so the Yankees leavin' FLA keep goin' at a good clip. :wink: :lol:
And then when the return trip is on they can stop periodically to remember where the heck they was goin' in the first place. :wink: :lol:

:flg:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Ok to narrow down my trip to Virginia on Oct 13th... going to the Escapade
factory to pick up my new trailer..i think its in Loveless.. going thru
Lynchburg on 29 from Atlanta on I-85 ..

wondering what kind of clothes to bring for weather conditions...

cosmic

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It is nice to see so many Virginia riders here. It seems as if more and more are showing up. What organizations if any are you all involved in? I live in the Chesapeake area and would love to meet some other Variders:) Maybe a Hampton Roads riders get together could be planned?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clothes

cosmic,
what to bring?
1. rainsuit
2. leather(heavy jkt) & sweater,can be cool & wet that time of year.40's-60's.
3. medium duty gloves
4. long john pants, if ya got room. might not need 'em,but then again...........your call.(" if ya got room." DUH, he's buyin a trailer :roll: )
That time of yr. there should be good color in the mountains.
Never heard of Loveless,but been to & thru Lynchburg area many times.
Natural Bridge is there. Many good riding areas.
Enjoy your trip & trailer,
the hobo

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I think the state is trying to get the rest areas in order for the big Jamestown celebration next year. They realized how crappy (no pun intended) they were and didnt want the tourists to get the wrong idea upon entering the state.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Re: Clothes

hobo said:
cosmic,
what to bring?
1. rainsuit
2. leather(heavy jkt) & sweater,can be cool & wet that time of year.40's-60's.
3. medium duty gloves
4. long john pants, if ya got room. might not need 'em,but then again...........your call.(" if ya got room." DUH, he's buyin a trailer :roll: )
That time of yr. there should be good color in the mountains.
Never heard of Loveless,but been to & thru Lynchburg area many times.
Natural Bridge is there. Many good riding areas.
Enjoy your trip & trailer,
the hobo
Yeah thats why I am getting a trailer...2-up not enough room to bring both riding jackets & pants plus regular clothes.... on the way there we won't have much room for packing... just trying to get a handle on weather conditions.. (temps)..

cosmic

·
Registered
756 Posts
Cosmic:
The Escapade factory I believe is in Arrington,Va right around the corner from Lovingston, Va. There is a nice little motel on 29 in Lovingston called the Village Inn (434)263-5068. About $55 per night and M/C friendly. Across the street from the motel ( walking distance) is an Italian restaurant with good reasonably priced food.
I've stayed in the motel a few times and ate in the restaurant more than once. All these places are with-in a few miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
I agree with Hobo on the weather and attire. The BRP is usually 10-15 degrees cooler than the valley. Deer are plentiful :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey Hobo, though I now live in PA, my hometown is Lexington Ky and I also lived in VA for 11 years. What on earth took you to Lexington? Of course I don't mean the Goldwing!?!

·
Registered
177 Posts
GP Young got it right. We use to live about a 1/4 mile from California Sidecar in Arrington. theres some nice roads in the area if you have the time..
The Italian place in Lovingston does have good food, ate there back in July.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TUNER,
i'm a member of a motorcycle club that held a get together @ the Ky Horse Park in Lexington. Nothing very big,about 40 motorcycles & a camping weekend @ the park.
Got there Wed. & left on Mon.. Rode around the area to Natural Bridge,Red River Gorge,went thru the one lane tunnel thru the mountain.
I've been there several times & always enjoy it. :D
Stay safe,
the hobo

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hobo, thanks for the reply. Horse park is a really nice campgroud with great facilities. I remember when it was first built, before the trees were very big, much nicer now. Only problem I ever had was that they don't have full hookups. I used to love riding the Red River area as well, I miss some of the great motorcycle roads in that area. Ride safe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts