GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you experienced rain riders deal with the impaired visibility through your face shield and the windshield? Do you put anything on those surfaces to help dissipate the water? I know we're not supposed to use Rainex which works very well on my car windshields. I'd also like to be able to use a squeegee with my left hand.

·
IronMan
17,459 Posts
I pop up over windshield and it cleans off the rain . Shield good coat of wax .

·
Registered
784 Posts
Look over the windshield and raise up to blow the water off of your face shield

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
584 Posts
Plexus or equivalent and go faster to blow the rain off....

Oh wait, you said experienced rain riders. I live in Az and hardly ever experience rain......:joke:

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
The top of the windshield should be 1-2 inches below your line of sight.

Lower the windshield, raise seat.. whatever it takes.
But you really don't want to be looking through the windshield for any serious long distance riding.

It's a WINDshield, not a RAINshield.
;-)

Dennis

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips. I'll try the WINDshield techniques. Also the idea of carrying a chamois in your crotch (don't have a beaded seat) got me to thinking about carrying a modified squeegee there. I took a 10" plastic handled squeegee, cut 3" off the blade and re-centered the handle. Next, I'll go out for a little ride with that thing in crotch and see if I can easily and safely manipulate it over the shield and my helmet visor then reposition it without losing it.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Just ride faster! No, really...

My Tulsa (designed) at the correct aerodynamic angle totally sheds the water in interesting displays above 45-50mph. Very cool! :bow: :thumbup: :rain1:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'll try the WINDshield techniques. Also the idea of carrying a chamois in your crotch (don't have a beaded seat) got me to thinking about carrying a modified squeegee there. I took a 10" plastic handled squeegee, cut 3" off the blade and re-centered the handle. Next, I'll go out for a little ride with that thing in crotch and see if I can easily and safely manipulate it over the shield and my helmet visor then reposition it without losing it.

Squeegee is a bad idea in my opinion, your going to scratch the shield. All that dirty water blowing around, it'll carry lots of little particles that you'll be grinding into the shield.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Squeegee is a bad idea in my opinion, your going to scratch the shield. All that dirty water blowing around, it'll carry lots of little particles that you'll be grinding into the shield.
Hmmmm.... Hadn't thought about that. But wouldn't the chamois do the same thing?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ride faster! No, really...

My Tulsa (designed) at the correct aerodynamic angle totally sheds the water in interesting displays above 45-50mph. Very cool! :bow: :thumbup: :rain1:
Having lost a GL18 due to hydroplaning, I make sure I'm steady state riding through standing water at <55mph.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
The top of the windshield should be 1-2 inches below your line of sight.

Lower the windshield, raise seat.. whatever it takes.
But you really don't want to be looking through the windshield for any serious long distance riding.

It's a WINDshield, not a RAINshield.
;-)

Dennis
YEP! Keep your windshield low enough so you can see over it. You can see much better.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hmmmm.... Hadn't thought about that. But wouldn't the chamois do the same thing?

Yes, but to a lesser extent due to the fibers holding the grit. As it gets more grit trapped in it, it will get worse. But I would think cleaning it helps. By chamois, I mean microfiber rags. Not a true chamois.

I dont wipe wipe mine ever. Shield that is..;) Pop up over the screen clears it. JMHO. :thumbup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lots of good advice. Thanks guys. Since now it rains every afternoon here in the Rockies, I'm sure I'll get the chance to tries these techniques.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Sit on it the driveway and have the SO squirt ya with garden hose and see how it works.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I just keep on riding and peek over the windshield every now and again.

·
F4 Customs
365 Posts
Rain Shedding

Folks for those of you that like to look through the windshield F4 Customs has great rain shedding and all you need to do is keep it clean. Also with our windshield if the rain shedding diminishes in any way just use rubbing alcohol and paper towels and it will make like new again.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Folks for those of you that like to look through the windshield F4 Customs has great rain shedding and all you need to do is keep it clean. Also with our windshield if the rain shedding diminishes in any way just use rubbing alcohol and paper towels and it will make like new again.
+1 for the F4! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts