GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
My Tulsa is specifically designed to wick the rain like water off a duck's back feathers, due to the perfect aerodynamic shape/angle. Over 45 mph I can ride for hours in light rain or heavy downpours, with no visability issues. Previously, I had always felt a windshield you look thru was dangerous, thus kept them adjusted in a low position. The Tulsa not only affords way better protection due to its height and width, but unless the rain is particularly hard, allows me to keep my faceshield open for better breathing/less fogging! After riding with the "look thru" Tulsa for 5 years on my GL1800, I like it just fine and have no plans to change it out. I ride in the rain regularly, and love the experience.

:rain1::biker:

The top of the windshield should be 1-2 inches below your line of sight.

Lower the windshield, raise seat.. whatever it takes.
But you really don't want to be looking through the windshield for any serious long distance riding.

It's a WINDshield, not a RAINshield.
;-)

Dennis

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Tulsa # W18425. This is the "standard" clear Tulsa which is taller than the OEM shield, but not their "TALL" model which I feel is overkill. It comes with the vent hole, so as you can install the OEM vent from your OEM windshield. Or, you can purchase the vent from them in addition to the shield; # W18175. It is also available in a tinted version. All this on the "All American Products, Inc." website.

The W18425 is 3 inches taller than OEM in its highest position, 2-1/2 inches wider at the bottom and 1/2 inch wider at the top. It is not adjustible once installed. It angles back into the cockpit quite a bit more than the OEM or other windshields, which takes a couple of rides to get used to... however, the advantages aerodynamically and for rain dispersion are worth it!

Here is an excerp from my 2010 review:

"When I first purchased my 05 Anniversary GL1800 last March, I didn't know if I could live with the already installed tall (Tulsa) windshield. All windshield's I had ever used could be looked over, even my 87 Cavalcade's large protective piece. Common sense told me that in bad weather (I ride alot in the rain, and at night) the tall shield would be a hazard. Well, I stand corrected. I've been enjoying the benefits of the acrylic Tulsa with few drawbacks. It is completely protective due to it's height and width, almost totally eliminates buffeting even at high speeds, and wicks rain off due to it's cockpit angle at any speed over 45 mph. Today I got in a brisk 3 hour ride at 36-40 degrees before the snow comes (again). Was cruising at 80-100 mph several times: complete wind protection (warmth), NO buffeting at all (even at 100), almost zero flex in the shield, and a crystal-clear view that acrylic affords. I'm completely sold now! Minor drawbacks? Sure; a tad stuffy on really hot days even with the vent, and on occasion a little hard to see thru in rain at parking-lot speeds... nothing's perfect."

Now that I've been viewing the world thru the Tulsa for 5-1/2 years, here are the pros and cons:

+ crystal clear viewing; no distortion or waviness
+ great wind protection; a life savor on my winter 7-degree work commutes
+ no wind buffeting; creates a pretty quiet cockpit environment
+ way cool rain-dispersion patterns on the shield as the water is wicked away
+ the use of a warm wet towel and "210" plastic cleaner/polish or "Plexus" affords a quick crystal clear cleanup within seconds
- cool damp mornings sometimes fog up the shield, which becomes a pain to stop and wipe 2-3 times before the sun washes it all away
- stuffy cockpit on the hottest rides... Baker Hand Wings might help, when I get off my lazy ass and finally install them!

What is your model and height of the Tulsa?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Agree with F4

Folks for those of you that like to look through the windshield F4 Customs has great rain shedding and all you need to do is keep it clean. Also with our windshield if the rain shedding diminishes in any way just use rubbing alcohol and paper towels and it will make like new again.
Living in Nevada we don't get much rain but when we do it's like a cow going on a flat rock LOL!

i was down in Laughlin at the river run recently and it was one of those freakish times when it was raining here. It rained all the way from Laughlin to Las Vegas a little over a 100 miles. By the time we got back to Vegas it was raining buckets. My F4 shredded the rain effortlessly and I never had a visibility issue in traffic down to 25 mph. It rained so much that water was about 4 inches deep on the road.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Folks for those of you that like to look through the windshield F4 Customs has great rain shedding and all you need to do is keep it clean. Also with our windshield if the rain shedding diminishes in any way just use rubbing alcohol and paper towels and it will make like new again.
I have a F4 +4.
I am thinking there is a F4 product but that is not readily available down here.

my general cleaning is application of Lemon Pledge!

When I know I am heading into heavy rain I put some RainX on it, and my visor.
I originally put it on a small section for a while to see if it damaged it.
Result - No obvious difference, and didn't melt the plastic. The screen is 5 yrs old now.

Could I use Isopropyl Alcohol

Popping your head into the wind and turning your head left and right a little also helps shed the water.

·
Registered
28 Posts
F4

I will say the F4 was the best purchase I made many years ago at Catscade in New York... I do clean the windshield with rubbing alcohol and it is great in rain.. I have used rain-x on it as well and that worked for me.. I am not saying to do that but with the F4 it did not seem to harm.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use the Show Chrome Accessories Finger Visor Wiper and it works well for the helmet shield

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Question for Don - F4Customs.

I think I remember being advised that to clean the screen I could use rubbing alcohol.

My understanding that the term "rubbing alcohol" has become a general non-specific term
for either isopropyl alcohol or ethyl alcohol (ethanol) rubbing-alcohol products.
We seem to have different strength of isopropyl alcohol here in N.Z. and is easily available.

There are different strength to choose from. Do I use the full strength?

·
Registered
170 Posts
One thing that I have done and I can't remember where I read it, was I went to Sears Hardware and bought a piece of clear plastic tubing, I think around 3/8" dia. I slit it lengthwise and when I know I'm going to run into heavy rain, run the tubing around the complete edge of the windshield. This keeps the rain from running back down the inside of the windshield and gives me one less "layer" of water to look through. I also ride with water skiing gloves on and use them to wipe the shield off.

·
F4 Customs
365 Posts
If your riding with the F4 windshield clean it good with rubbing alcohol and paper towels and the rain shedding with snap right back. Also feel free to use Rain X as it will not hurt the F4 windshield.
Don

21 - 33 of 33 Posts