GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying, I really don't like or read the harley threads here on the wing forum. Today's events just amazed me , and I had to post my experience.

While my wife was shopping at the outlet mall in Round Rock today, i went next door and visited Central Texas Harley(http://www.centraltexasharley.com/) I had never been in a harley dealership and this one was close and looked very nice. It was before lunch and they were preparing to cook outside, had a big drink trailer set up along with a tent and a lot of bikes. When I walked in, I was greeted by not 1, but 2 people. Ask if I needed help, I told them I wanted to look at their helmet selection. They led me to that area and handed me off to a very nice sales girl(very knowledgeable). We talked helmets and she ask me what I rode. I told here wing. She never blinked. She complimented the wing and carried on about helmets. I left here and walked around the store. EVERY employee I walked by stopped what they were doing and spoke to me, ask if they could help me and were extremely friendly. I struck up a conversation with a bike sales guy and complimented him on the nice store. He called the sales mgr over and introduced me to him. This guy insisted on giving me a tour of the entire store!! We went through the entire store, from shop area, to the dyno, to parts room and all the bike sales. he ask what I rode and I told him the same as I told the girl. He said--great bike!! Super nice people in a very nice, well run store.I still don't want a harley, but what a nice experience.

Now for the rest of the story!!

We had to detour through Killeen/Harker Heights (sorry Dan, Time was short!!) on our way home. Wife was still looking for something for an upcoming trip so when she spotted a certain store, we pulled off the road so she could go look-again!! Low and behold, next door is a Honda power sport dealer(http://www.killeenpowersports.com/index.htm)!! My lucky day!! I drop her off and head over. Looked like a nice store, not too big, but looked new. I walked in and a girl at the door spoke to me. There were not many customers, but lots of employees. I spotted the wings and strolled over. They were parked right by the salesmen closing rooms. No one came out.( No new wings either!!) I looked all 4 wings over real well and not a soul came to check on me. I eased over to the the helmets and began shopping them. I finally ask a girl at the helmet counter a question and she answered it. I circled through the cruisers and a couple of sales guy were sitting at a desk. The didn't speak, get up or even look my way. At this point, i was going to see if I could get anyone to try to sell me anything. I went back to the wings and looked them over again. NO ONE!!! I eased over to the dirt bikes and 4 wheelers-no one there, so I circled the store and went back to the wings for the 3rd time. never got a look. I headed to the door. They said "thanks for coming by" as I exited the door.

What the heck Is this normal??? Are all Harley stores that nice?? Are all Honda shops that stiff?? WOW!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
yes

Not all Honda shops are as you depict. But I've been to several that were. On the other hand, pretty darn every Harley shop I've been in has been kinda like you've described. No wonder they sell so many bikes. I've almost been talked into one several times. Still don't want one. But if I keep going in there I'll probably eventually cave.

As an aside (and perhaps somewhat related), I took my daughter from Houston to San Antonio today and I was struck that for every Wing I see I probably see 10-20 Harleys. Are we that outnumbered? Or are the wingers parked to escape the heat?:?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
In the last 6 weeks I have been in 4 different Honda shops. At the dealer I purchased my bike from, the GM gave me a wave from his office (he was with a customer) and one of the salesmen said hello. At the other 3 not one person approached me and offered assistance (shopping for a jacket and a replacement for my VFR when it sells). At the local Harley dealers (I have an FLHX) I will normally be approached by the sales girls for the motorclothes department and sometimes by a bike sales rep. Harley has sort of mastered the customer service concept (except during the sales process) and frankly the Honda people seem like they couldn't care less.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I guess I'm lucky to have bought my Wing where I did (Al Lamb Dallas Honda). I've always gotten good service and have always had several sales personnel from sales and accessories come over to ask if I needed help or had questions. But the Harley shops that I've visited greet you like the Prodigal Son returning home... even if you showed up on a Wing. Longhorn Harley Davidson in Grand Prairie, TX is a good example of that. If I should decide to buy a Harley in the future, they will have my business. I was there looking at boots (bought some) and was helped out by a very knowledgeable young lady. HD has one fine marketing organization and it shows.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
paciia, I agree with you. I have had the same experience at every HD Dealer that Linda and I have shopped at on our travels.

There have been a couple of Honda dealers that treated us well, but not the out standing customer service that HD performs.

If HD ever makes a bike as good as the GL1800 I will dump Honda in a heart beat.

Thanks for bringing this up.

"Honda, get your act together!"

Orrin

·
Registered
409 Posts
I stopped into a Honda dealership, next door to my hotel in Shawnee Oklahoma, the salesman was much like the first one described in this thread, so much so that a year later, I still remember the exceptional welcome, product knowledge and time spent "kicking tires".

·
Registered
484 Posts
"I stopped into a Honda dealership, next door to my hotel in Shawnee Oklahoma"

I think they are the sister dealership to the one in Arkansas where I bought mine- Sunrise Honda. They treated me the same way, very nice to deal with. Everyone I ran across spoke to me, asked if I needed anything, showed me around. The service department had a guy that went over the whole bike with me like he didn't have anything else to do even though they were very busy that day. I will definitely buy from them again, even though they are 7 hours from where I live. I just don't get dealerships that don't give better service. Many years ago I worked at a small new car dealership in a small town (around 20,000 pop.). Yes, there are a lot of tire kickers but we spoke to all of them, showed them around, answered questions, or got out of their way if that's what they wanted. At some point in time, they will buy. And remember who treated them right!

·
Registered
19,442 Posts
Not all Honda shops are as you depict. But I've been to several that were. On the other hand, pretty darn every Harley shop I've been in has been kinda like you've described. No wonder they sell so many bikes. I've almost been talked into one several times. Still don't want one. But if I keep going in there I'll probably eventually cave.

As an aside (and perhaps somewhat related), I took my daughter from Houston to San Antonio today and I was struck that for every Wing I see I probably see 10-20 Harleys. Are we that outnumbered? Or are the wingers parked to escape the heat?:?

:agree:And yes there are more HDs than Goldwings.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I like the Harley girls who model the T shirts. :joke:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I stopped into a Honda dealership, next door to my hotel in Shawnee Oklahoma, the salesman was much like the first one described in this thread, so much so that a year later, I still remember the exceptional welcome, product knowledge and time spent "kicking tires".

That was Shawnee Honda and where I bought my 08. Great folks and everytime I go back, I get the same treatment. It's about a two hour ride from my house to Shawnee and I ride past 2 Honda dealers on the way. The last time I was there, they had a better selection of used Harley's than the Harley dealerships. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I must be one of the lucky guys I have one of the best dealers around to deal with :thumbup: I have been dealing with Rusty Palmers in Honesdale for many years they have wonderful people working there and you will be greeted as soon as you enter the door:yes1: This dealership is hugh just check them out on line they even have there own Bar and restaurant in the same building. May not have the best prices you can find on new bikes but you can not beat there service and parts :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
paciia,

Your experience at those two dealerships was not a fluke. I have visited both of those dealerships more than once and my experience parallels yours.

When you have a chance, stop by Central Texas PowerSports, Georgetown, Tx which is just north of Round Rock, Tx. They sell Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha. It's always a great experience to stop in and look around.

·
Registered
145 Posts
They Better Sell Themselves

Honda's sell themselves. They don't need no stink'n customer service.
I have been to many Harley dealerships and probably even more Honda dealers. I have always been approached in each department at a Harley shop, and rarely approached at a Honda shop, even when looking at their most expensive bikes.

It seems Honda dealers really hope the bikes sell themselves because you have to find a sales guy, then pull him from his desk to get him to talk to you. One guess at why is that the Honda guys don't want to be embarassed. The Honda sales guys rarely know much of anything about their products. They can probably point you to a new bike but will usually be clueless about features and year-to year upgrades.

On the other hand, the Harley salesmen know their products. If you ask them what changed from last year, they know.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yep , thats the way its around here , at least thats the way I have found it.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Sadly I have had the same experience at quite a few dealerships even in the past few months. I don't get it at all. Obviously there are good ones on both side of the fence - and we should not overlook that. But many of them really need better management. It's up to the owner and store manager to set the tone.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't necessarily equate a bunch of high pressure sales people circling like vultures to be a plus when hanging out in a bike shop.

Plus, that's all built into he purchase price and cost of ownership.

If you say the words, "I might want to buy that bike", you should then expect all the help you need.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
I don't necessarily equate a bunch of high pressure sales people circling like vultures to be a plus when hanging out in a bike shop.

Plus, that's all built into he purchase price and cost of ownership.

If you say the words, "I might want to buy that bike", you should then expect all the help you need.
I agree with your statements. My biggest complaint with Honda salesman is lack of knowledge on the products they are attempting to sell. :wrong:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Like a prior post, when I am shopping for a car or bike, I would prefer the sales people leave me alone. I normally know what I need to know about the vehicle before hand.

I actually dislike the fact that I can't look at their product without them hovering and stating facts about their product that I know to be wrong.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts