GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was amazed at the negativity at that forum. You would have thought the new Wing was the worst bike Honda ever produced. A lot of people who were riding 1500's with things like

Smaller gas tank this will never work for me. Did they even think what the range is between the two bikes, I would say about the same maybe more for the 18-19's

Where am I going to put my espresso machine, skill saw, they went on and on. I know its smaller but really should learn to take only what you need.

Too much electronics, we don't have fifty buttons to push, how will I remember.

It's ugly, what?!!

No place to stretch my legs, there are several good options now

No center stand, uh mine has one

I have to have an Iphone to make it work, no only for appleplay

It has a drone, by a Lexus

Too much wind, by a different windshield

Doesn't ride like a 60's Cadillac, no more like a modern car (not sure which one)

I could go on and on but you get the jest.

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
You have to remember this is the internet. All opinions expressed are only important to the expressor, unless it is someone that has earned your respect. Techdude and Fred come to mind as well as a few others. None the less all have a right to their thoughts. Since you have one, you all ready know what a great bike it is. All the others are just speculating one way or the other. Life is short, just enjoy it. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It reaffirmed my decision to buy the 2018, it seemed they was stuck in a time warp. I feel great, no regrets

·
Registered
413 Posts
I very rarely visit other GW forums. I go to read about people's experiences while riding - that's where I get a lot of ideas. Since I am not retired yet, I need to choose rides carefully and be selective. I started a thread a few months ago about these other forums. I do not think they ride. Very few stories about riding (except to eat and ice cream). I understand, I ride in a 100-mile circle around my house most times, because I have so little time except for vacation.

You will never find a Donnie on-the-road story, or a Galute story, or a story about any of us who accomplished something really remarkable, which makes the reader think "I want to do that!" on those forums. Whether I ever complete my bucket-list trip or not, I have lived parts of it which would be he most extreme or adventurous.

I have given up on the others, so all of you need to write more!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
That’s why I like this one because it has its own 2018+ area (they need to update the name now, probably could use GL1833 ;) )

But even here there seems to be a lot of negativity - but at least it’s more productive and isolated.

Opinions are like butts and armpits - everyone has them and they usually stink.

:)

But I lurked for months before I bought my wing. All the “problems” are either things I actually like or things that I don’t consider problems. Except one. Sport mode is too twitchy - it’s dangerous where I ride. But everything else so far has been great. Hit 200 miles this morning. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I asked that my account over there be deleted and advised the owner of the forum why he was losing members but it fell on deaf ears. He didn't even take the time to reply. After that I lost any interest in his youtube channel and opinion on anything. That forum is a joke and contributes nothing of use. If you think there is negativity here you haven’t seen a thing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
The other forum is a joke. It;s the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show
You are quite right, it's a dead forum about nothing.
I know nothing about this "other" Goldwing forum, but if you guys keep insulting The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, we may have to fight. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Rocky and Bullwinkle is one thing, but they start dissin' on Bugs Bunny and Road Runner, I'm definitely going to have issues. As to the 2018, I'm personally not a fan, but I ride with friends that have and love them. Choices are the spice of life, enjoy.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't go there much, but any forum is an effort, so gotta give them credit. Not easy starting and keeping a forum running.
I had one supporting a product for several years, it never would go away. Bot attacks and hackers, I just got tire of it

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was amazed at the negativity at that forum. You would have thought the new Wing was the worst bike Honda ever produced. A lot of people who were riding 1500's with things like....
Not surprised... The same thing happened when the gl1800 originally came out….

Back in 2000 I tried to have a serious conversation about the soon-to-be gl1800 on the then popular wing board and I was just about burned at the stake. The vocal folks were ripped that honda was going to kill their beloved gl1500. So I started gl1800.org and hoped people would find it. They did. It became the most popular forum. Hal from HDL and others in the community were very supportive with donations to our gatherings. Hal, Lewis, and John P are/were all good guys and good to the community. When Hal wanted to create gl1800riders he approached me about potentially merging the sites. I wanted to keep gl1800.org non-commercial so there were 2 sites. In the early days this site was the wild wild west, but Hal and his team got it under control. I started to become interested in different bikes and lose interest in gl1800.org so I changed the name to ridersrally.com. I ultimately moved on, ridersrally slowly fizzled, and this site became the most active site by far. Gl1800.org and ridersrally.com no longer exist (unless the domains were purchased by someone)

Just poking my head back in here since I'm considering picking up an older gl1800...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I must be in the dark - I don't see any reference to a specific web url by the OP or any listing afterwards. I "belong" to 3 other 1800 forums and my biggest criticism would be the software configuration which I really like here (there is always a "but" - I remember previous versions would let you select member searches based on login date, alpha-ascending/descending, and location (state), I miss the state/location) and it meets 99% of what I like about this site.

As for negativity of the '18 and newer wings - again I must not be on that forum mentioned by the OP - because I find them no more or less than here with comments.

YMMV

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Rocky and Bullwinkle is one thing, but they start dissin' on Bugs Bunny and Road Runner, I'm definitely going to have issues. As to the 2018, I'm personally not a fan, but I ride with friends that have and love them. Choices are the spice of life, enjoy.

I agree... Road Runner and Bugs too. Do not go there! :serious:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Meh, I spent well over 25 yrs and 230,000 miles on a GL15. Those responders who ride a GL15 aren't wrong. The GL 15 IS quieter, no question. The GL15 DOES have better weather protection...how can it not with a massive barn door for a windshield and fairing. The GL15 IS more comfortable with a plush ride and cushy suspension. The GL15 DOES have more carrying capacity with a massive trunk and huge saddlebags not to mention trunk cubbies and fairing pockets.

The GL15 does NOT have more range. The GL15 does NOT handle better.
The 1833 is NOT ugly.

While I do miss the plushness of my GL15, my new normal of riding at 80 mph +, head-snapping acceleration, VERY sporty handling, and wireless music are helping me get over it.

If they love their bikes, fine. My 1833 makes me smile.

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
198 Posts
The other forum is a joke. It;s the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show
Yeah, I got into trouble for posting a link to this forum for a guy who was looking for help with Clearwater running lights. Was told I could not post links to other forums. The link was frozen by the moderator or someone else. I thought forums were to help others with issues on their Goldwings. Didn't know that forums were competitions. I think I now understand why there is not much traffic on that forum.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.