GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my buddies and I are going to jump on our wings and take a ride from Houston to Florida. We are planning on leaving March 21st and being gone for 9 days.
We would like to make it down to the Keys and do alot of riding in between.
What I am looking for is route suggestions and or things to do while we are there. Maybe there is a chapter ride or some of you that might like to go for a ride and show us some of the backroads and of course suggestions on restraunts. :thumbup:
Thank you in advance
Kurt

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Since I'm an old fart and my memory is failing I can't remember exactly when Spring Break occurs, but I think it's sometime in March. Back in 2001 my buddy and I took off for the Keys in March. When we reached Key Largo traffic was at a standstill. At that point where the road begins traveling over water, you could see the cars backed up all the way to the horizon. After sitting for about an hour and not moving, we turned around and headed for a friend's house in Miami. Hopefully you won't encounter this problem.

Hey Kurt,
Thanks for the guidance on the Ultimate seat. My buddy bought one and loves it.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Kurt,

Unfortunately, while I live in Florida, I really don't explore it that much. Riding here in the "flatlands" of Florida is pretty boring. A bunch of us get together at different time throughout the winter months to eat and although there are some interesting eating places, the ride to get to them is usually spent setting the cruise control and point the bike in the general direction of the food and taking a nap! :p

The most fun road I have been on here in Florida is just south of Crystal River and north of Homasassa Springs. The name of the road is Ozello Trail and near the end of the road heading out to the coast is Pecks Old Port Cove. The food is OK, but the road out to the restaurant is sometimes referred to as the "Florida Dragon."

Cedar Key is very nice as well as Sanibel Island down near Fort Meyers. Kennedy Space Center is neat to visit. Being from Houston, you might appreciate seeing a different side of NASA. Then there is Daytona Beach and St. Augustine. While your down south, visit the worlds smallest post office, Ochopee Post Office on the Tamiami Trail linking Naples with Miami through the Everglades. Also, while you're here, find some place to do an airboat ride in the Everglades. That's pretty cool.

Coming from Houston, I would head down the west coast and come back up the east coast. And stay away from Orlando. Personally, I hate mice. They're vermin. Why would I want to visit their kingdom?

I might suggest you post this very same question over on the "General" board. I think you will get a much more varied response from all board members since not all of them visit the "Florida" board.

Have fun while you're here!

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kurt,

Unfortunately, while I live in Florida, I really don't explore it that much. Riding here in the "flatlands" of Florida is pretty boring. A bunch of us get together at different time throughout the winter months to eat and although there are some interesting eating places, the ride to get to them is usually spent setting the cruise control and point the bike in the general direction of the food and taking a nap! :p

The most fun road I have been on here in Florida is just south of Crystal River and north of Homasassa Springs. The name of the road is Ozello Trail and near the end of the road heading out to the coast is Pecks Old Port Cove. The food is OK, but the road out to the restaurant is sometimes referred to as the "Florida Dragon."

Cedar Key is very nice as well as Sanibel Island down near Fort Meyers. Kennedy Space Center is neat to visit. Being from Houston, you might appreciate seeing a different side of NASA. Then there is Daytona Beach and St. Augustine. While your down south, visit the worlds smallest post office, Ochopee Post Office on the Tamiami Trail linking Naples with Miami through the Everglades. Also, while you're here, find some place to do an airboat ride in the Everglades. That's pretty cool.

Coming from Houston, I would head down the west coast and come back up the east coast. And stay away from Orlando. Personally, I hate mice. They're vermin. Why would I want to visit their kingdom?

I might suggest you post this very same question over on the "General" board. I think you will get a much more varied response from all board members since not all of them visit the "Florida" board.

Have fun while you're here!
Bart thank you very much for the information. I think I will post it on the general board.
Kurt

·
Registered
106 Posts
For something to do, on your way back, there is an airshow at Tyndall AFB in Panama City March 28-29. Free to the public. Always an awesome show. The Blue Angles will be the featured act this year. We seem to alternate between the Blues and the Birds every other year.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, traveling into the Keys can be very relaxing. I suggest Card Sound Road once you reach Florida City (entrance to the Keys) which is very biker friendly and while there stop at Alabama Jacks, great place for live music and wings (chicken wings that is). As you get back to US1 in Key Largo you'll start to feel the "Island time" settling upon you and you"ll slow down to savor the ambiance of the Keys. Your ride down into the Keys is a slow journey through a paradise unparalled anywhere else in the nation (stop often and talk to the locals for the best info). When you make it to Key West, stay at a place not to far to Duval Street, so you can go to the local places on foot (lots of pubs/nightlife) and walk (stagger) your way back to your room. Margaritaville, Capt. Tony and Sloppy Joe's or great to hang out have a beer with locals and listen to great live bands. Bring sandals, because once the Keys takes a bite out of you, you become part of the Keys. Enjoy...:doorag:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts