GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife wants to see Ground Zero, but I'm pretty sure that I do not want to drive into NYC. I was thinking about taking the Staten Island Ferry and then getting on the subway to Ground Zero.
To those of you who are familiar with the area or have been there, does the above seems like a good plan to see Ground Zero, or is there a better way
TIA

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Here's a thought, take the Amtrak from Harrisburg thru Philly and then to Penn Station in NYC. Penn Station is under Madison Square Garden. Then take the subways to ground zero. It's a 3 hour trip, no stress, no parking, and roomy seats. Last time I took the train to New York if was about $90 round trip/person. Gas, tolls, and parking will cost you well above $100 if you drive. I wouldn't think of taking my wing into NYC.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Here's a thought, take the Amtrak from Harrisburg thru Philly and then to Penn Station in NYC. Penn Station is under Madison Square Garden. Then take the subways to ground zero. It's a 3 hour trip, no stress, no parking, and roomy seats. Last time I took the train to New York if was about $90 round trip/person. Gas, tolls, and parking will cost you well above $100 if you drive. I wouldn't think of taking my wing into NYC.
:agree: This is a good plan. :thumbup: An option is if you don't want to figure out the Subway routes and schedules, you can take a Cab the three or so miles from Penn Station to Ground Zero. Will cost more than the Subway, but it's easier.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, did not think of Amtrak.......turns out it's just over $200 for both of us round trip.........Harrisburg is right up the road from us...thanks for the tip, Scott!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Either plan works well... but if you're gonna take a bike trip, your initial plan will be fine. You'll have a bit of traffic on Staten Island... but no more than any other city.

The Staten Island Ferry is a free ride each way... and once you're on the Manhattan side, you really don't need to take a subway to the site. It's only about a 3/4 mile walk up thru the Battery Park area & the financial district. And if it turns out to be either a drizzly/rainy day, or a sweltering hot & humid day... then just hop in a cab for the short trip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Either plan works well... but if you're gonna take a bike trip, your initial plan will be fine. You'll have a bit of traffic on Staten Island... but no more than any other city.

The Staten Island Ferry is a free ride each way... and once you're on the Manhattan side, you really don't need to take a subway to the site. It's only about a 3/4 mile walk up thru the Battery Park area & the financial district. And if it turns out to be either a drizzly/rainy day, or a sweltering hot & humid day... then just hop in a cab for the short trip.
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If we would take the bike, is there parking avaliable at the ferry terminal?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
If we would take the bike, is there parking avaliable at the ferry terminal?
Sorry Stu... just saw this today. Been busy playing with my other bike.

Since I live on Long Island, I've never had reason to park over on Staten Island.

I did a cursory search for you and found the following links that may be useful. The first is for locations of NYC municipal parking lots near there (St. Georges Terminal)... and the 2nd is from the Fordor's site, where a local says the lots are rarely full. I personally find that a little hard to believe, but take it for what it's worth.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/parkinglist.shtml

http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/parking-at-staten-island-ferry-terminal.cfm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts