GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know from some of you that live in the area of the Rockies if the last two weeks of August is too late to do a motorcycle trip through South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado. Do any of you have mapped routes that could be emailed to me that are good roads to ride through these areas? Thanks very much in advance.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Nope, last of August is not too late. In fact, my favorite time of the year is September, but you can get a cold front push through and provide some cold and perhaps even a little snow at the highest elevations, but if it does this the stuff will not last long, so you just hold up for a day or two and then enjoy (again, in late September) some beautiful Fall colors with snow on the tops of the mountains -- that is about as beautiful as it can get.

So, August no problems. In Glacier you can get an early snow at the top of the pass, but again, it should not last long and is in fact unlikely. There will be cold nights at the higher elevations in WY, MT, CO, and ID even in late August. I generally find WY to provide some of the coldest temps at night.

Southern Utah is actually much better in the 2nd half of September, but it is good anytime. Check out the link below to go to my suggested rides in Colorado and Utah. And, if you'd like to meet some folks from this board, check out the possiblity of coming to Rockies-Gold in Montrose, CO, 25-29 July.

As for South Dakota, I'm going to an FJR gathering in Custer, SD (Black Hills) around 20 September -- definitley not too late even then.

If any specific questions send me a PM.

Rockies-Gold:
http://rockies-gold.net

10-days of Riding in CO and UT:
http://coloradodave.net/CO-UT Ride/CO-UTride.htm

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
That could be a trip of a lifetime. But in a couple of weeks, you can only hit the high spots. That would include WY Thermopolis to Shoshone up the Wind River Canyon, CO Rocky Mt Natl Park, road south thru Leadville, Zion and Capital Reef, the Excalante Staircase, ......ah, just go. Its hard to get bad tours in that area....even the freeways are acceptable....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh... Not too late

Except as you get into Arizona it will be HOT!!!!
Let us know when it gets close ... If I'm not out on a job I'll go ride a ways with you...
Hit Red Rocks, Loveland Pass and out west of Denver there's tons to see..
Monument Valley (Utah-Arizona) and more to see than you have time!!

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
won't be any worse in Arizona in August than N. Carolina in August. Maybe better. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
readytoride said:
Just wanted to know from some of you that live in the area of the Rockies if the last two weeks of August is too late to do a motorcycle trip through South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado. Do any of you have mapped routes that could be emailed to me that are good roads to ride through these areas? Thanks very much in advance.
Here is a link to a ride (8000 miles from Connecticut & back) that my son & I took a few years ago. We covered pretty much all you mentioned. Its awesome, enjoy it!

http://www.molaver.org/may02mc.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts