GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my battery a few days ago and based on my schedule I knew I would not be riding the Wing for several days. I charged it for two days and then disconnected the battery tender and started measuring the voltage across two points daily.

So far after six days the voltage has dropped from 13.20 to 13.03, about 0.26%/day which implies (should this continue and I have no evidence to show it would) the battery would last about 6 weeks before it would not start the motorcycle.

·
Registered
601 Posts
What you are seeing is the decay of the "surface charge". The battery is rated at 12 volts, so with no load it will stop decaying at about 12 volts. The good thing about the battery tender is that you can leave it on the battery indefinitely with no harm to the battery.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You might not even need to worry. Here in the wilds of Wyoming we don't get to ride much between October and May, so I just park my bike in an unheated cargo trailer until spring. I have been doing it for five years now without a battery tender or anything and she fires right up every spring. Still on the original battery too.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
What you are seeing is the decay of the "surface charge". The battery is rated at 12 volts, so with no load it will stop decaying at about 12 volts. The good thing about the battery tender is that you can leave it on the battery indefinitely with no harm to the battery.
:agree:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts