GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use? What is realible?

Digital, or idiot light type or what?

Are lighted ones good for night time stuff?

It seems most of the 1800 Goldwing lights function night and day time, so most of the demand on the system is there day & night.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Tony, I used an analog gauge from JCW, about $20, and is backlit. It works great at night, but the light is white. I think some come with colors. It's 2" in diameter and fit right in the square for the heated grips switch. 58 Yeoman onthe other board. :D

·
Registered
990 Posts
Most guys are getting analog type gauges. Getting them at a Honda Marine type store, Boat voltage meter. Some are using a LED type gauge which is small and can be mounted on the dash near the gauges. Myself I went whith Venco voltage meter, pricy, but a small LED retangular gauge with 3/8" high numbers. It uses existing plug on the bike. The choice is yours, as long as it works and you can fit it in an area where you can read it and still keeps the bike looking good then any one of them are good.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I used A Napa VDO gauge about 20 bucks it works great.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Volt meter

Tony

The one from Honda Marine comes with either a black or white face. If you are not using the heated grip outlet you can hook it up there.

:) :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I like the digital meters like the Venco because you can spot smaller voltage changes, the analog gauges are not as exact.

If someone wants an analog the Honda marine part, or another volt meter designed for marine use, is a better choice than an automotive gauge, the marine gauges are water resistant, the automotive gauges are not designed to be weather resistant at all.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Lascar Digital

I installed the Lascar Electronicsdigital gauges right after I bought the bike. Small, inexpensive, weatherproof and they look OEM.

(sorry for the out-of-focus picture) The top gauge is the battery voltage and the bottom gauge is for water temperature.

The downside is that they're not backlit and won't ever be. They've got some other versions that are backlit and some LED versions as well, but they're more expensive. I'll probably just add a small "stalk-mounted" LED to light these for now...

Lascar also has a "Go-NoGo" indicator that just indicates whether the voltage is within an adjustable "good" range:

I'm working on developing a backlit, multi-function meter, but in the meantime Kisan Technologies has their "Charge Guard" product which does a lot of these functions and includes a trickle charger/battery tender for $225.

More info than you probably wanted, huh? :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
I, too, use the Venco Digital Voltmeter. Unobtrusive and can be seen by the driver when mounted in the cavity between the left fairing pocket and steering stem, as per the instructions. Accurate, visible, small, watertight - what more can you ask for? :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
How about one that's basically an LED bargraph, like the one that Kury is making, but arranged vertically and with 11 steps from 11 (or less) volts up to 16?

I'm just waiting for the parts to come in, and I'm building mine. It'll mount nicely right on the side of the meter panel when I'm done.

Best part is that it's not going to cost me $80. The total cost is a lot closer to $35.

If anyone might be interested, let me know... if there's enough interest, I'll start building them for board members.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the replies.

For some brain fart reason I never thought about the volt gauge needing to be water proof or resistant.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use a Volt meter that I plug into my cig. lighter adapt. in the side pocket.
Works just fine. I just leave it in the pocket and plug it in when I want to check the voltage. Granted a easy read meter one could see while riding would be handier but this does let me know how the battery is doing prior to a trip.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
My Kury LED bargraph works great. Dims at night, blinks when the voltage goes low, color changes at low, normal or high voltage, good stuff.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Acumen digital volt meter/gear indicator

I installed it inside left dash vent. Dims at nite. Gives readout for 30 sec after ignition shutoff. Super service from Action Station. I like/use the gear indicator more than I thought I would.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts