GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 level one. About 700 miles on this bike. Bought it new.
Just installed a volt meter, analog.
Note that after start for about 20 seconds stays below 12V. Revving the engine has no effect. Voltage just rises rather suddenly after 15-20 seconds.
Is this normal ?

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
​Yes.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Yes, normal. Takes a few seconds for the alternator to kick on if you will...

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I never timed it, but when my alternator kicks in, after a few seconds, the voltage jumps to around 14.5-14.6 volts. I have a battery bug that shows 85% battery life and around 12.5 volts.......13.3 volts after the battery tender light turns green.

gramps

·
Registered
874 Posts
My bike does the same thing...normal.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The alternator doesn't kick in until the engine / rpms /etc have stabilized. I'm sure Honda has a reason for this, but I don't know what it is. Anybody?
This is why you can't push start a wing. If the voltage is below 10 volts or so, there isn't enough juice to run the ECU / Injectors / whatever. And you can't get the alternator to kick in and help. Maybe at the top of a really long hill????

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The alternator doesn't kick in until the engine / rpms /etc have stabilized. I'm sure Honda has a reason for this, but I don't know what it is. Anybody?
This is why you can't push start a wing. If the voltage is below 10 volts or so, there isn't enough juice to run the ECU / Injectors / whatever. And you can't get the alternator to kick in and help. Maybe at the top of a really long hill????
Tain't easy, but it can be done. (DAMHIK)

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
The issue with push starting is the lack of voltage. If the voltage is too low, then there's a few relays that will not energize or stay energized to power the fuel injection system and the ignition. The alternator won't put out any substantial power until it spins well above the normal idle of 700 +/- 50 rpm. There's no way you could push a wing fast enough to get it spinning that fast to help the battery. The ECM is in control of the delayed charging of the alternator. I think it's to insure good oil pressure and flow to the ADG and it's bearings before the battery charging load is dropped onto the alternator. It's just a theory and Honda will never tell why their stuff does what it does.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
Years ago I had a brand new 2001 , didn't know how to work the radio and a few other things so stopped at a gas station to fill up and do some reading in owners manual, well by the time I was ready to go the battery was to weak to crank, guy pushed me about 10 feet and it started , guess it was my lucky day :thumbup:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Years ago I had a brand new 2001 , didn't know how to work the radio and a few other things so stopped at a gas station to fill up and do some reading in owners manual, well by the time I was ready to go the battery was to weak to crank, guy pushed me about 10 feet and it started , guess it was my lucky day :thumbup:
Yep, you probably pulled the battery down to the 11 volt range. When you go to crank it, the starter load pulls it even lower and the relays can't keep everything running. At this level, you can push start it, because the starter motor isn't dragging it down so the relays and FI system can function to start. I still don't want to push an 1800 very far!:eek:4:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
This is why you can't push start a wing.
Sorry for the confusion... I misspoke.. (mistyped?) I should have said "This is why you can't push start a wing if your battery is below 10 volts or so." I've bump started mine a number of times.. But if you're below 10 volts - ish, you're dead meat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts