GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I don't have one, but a friend at work had one on his Yamahaha Venture. He traded the Venture this spring on an HD, and had it transferred over to it. He swears by it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have never had one, but I believe that getting one would, in the end be a very costly mistake. I see ads all the time of wingers trying to sell these kits after having them for only a very short, and then most have them have decided to do a true conversion trike. The average cost of a Voyager kit, I believe is more than $3,000. You should take that money, and put it toward a complete convertion kit now, instead of trying to sell a used Voyager kit later, which if it even sells, will cost you a whole of money in the end.
If you think trike kits cost way too much, then you should look at a champion conversion kit. Not only is the cost 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of some trike kits, it is also thought to be one of the best kits out there. In my opinion, it's for sure the best bang for the buck out there.
You can do whatever you think is best, but if you do need 3 wheels, just get the best up front, and save yourself a whole lot of time, and trouble.

I

·
0 Posts
We had a Voyager for a year and put about 5K miles on it. We went with a Voyager kit rather than a full conversion at the time, because we were not sure we would like 3 wheeling, and if we didn't, the kit could come off and the bike could sold as conventional 1800 bike. I decided on the Voyager system because after some research, I believe it is the best of the type.

After riding the Voyager for a season, we decided to go the full conversion route as it has many advantages over the removable kit design, and we have never looked back.

The Voyager or similar style kits are about half the cost of a full conversion, and they do give you the ability to keep the bike pretty much stock. Once you convert to a full 3 wheel conversion, it is forever, and the bike will never again be a 2 wheel motorcycle.

The choice is yours. I do not regret the path we took. I sold the Voyager kit for a decent price, and yes it did cost me a few bucks, but at least we didn't spend $10K at the outset, only to find out we didn't want to 3 wheel.

I personally feel that the Voyager is the best system of its type. Others swear by the Insta Trike. If you are convinced that you want to 3 wheel permanently, and you don't ever want to convert to 2 wheeling, then I recommend that you get a full conversion.

The choice is yours to make.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Had a Voyager, didn't like it. Steered HARD, rode rough! Went to a Champion, no regrets. Wish I would have done that in the first place and saved about $4K Don

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you do convert it...

I chose to convert my 2001 GL with a Canadian version of the Voyager, as they were cheaper and seemed well designed. They had not done many conversions for the 1800 (6-10 I believe). And after I was nearly killed on it I took it back and received a good portion of my money back. They said there was nothing wrong with the Kit. They were right! As they had never done a conversion with as many K as mine had on it they were not experienced enough to know that it should have had the front springs changed (as mine were bagged) as well as putting new steering head bearings (roller) in.
The kit pushed the front down to much causing the steering to quicken making it very unstable on off camber and well worn roads.

Buyer beware...

Hope this helps.

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts