I Have 2003 To Trike Or Not
Or
Voyager Convertible kits Any Input The Kit Is About $4 k

Never Drove A Troke Not Sure How I Would Like Or Not
Fred

·
Registered
713 Posts
Voyager kits are illegal in Ohio and Iowa. Some obscure law makes it a 4 wheeler with the kit attached and being licensed as a motorcycle, you can have no more the 3 wheels on the ground. I haven't heard of anyone actually getting ticketed but that doesn't mean much. A local LEO bought one for his H/D and afterwards, found out about the law. Called the company and they said they KNEW about it, but didn't say anything. They offered a refund and he took it. Now he's considering triking his bike. Do a search on here as there is another thread with links to the law. Dunno where you're from, but it may be prudent to do some research.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm tall, skinny and 82 y/o. Had a Voyager, rode too rough and steered too hard, happier with a Champion. Cost me about $4K to find it out, and not much market for a used Voyager kit. Just my 2c worth. Don

I

·
0 Posts
imacbxdr said:
I'm tall, skinny and 82 y/o. Had a Voyager, rode too rough and steered too hard, happier with a Champion. Cost me about $4K to find it out, and not much market for a used Voyager kit. Just my 2c worth. Don
Ditto what Don says, and they also don't handle as well as a true 3 wheel conversion.

OK if you want to be able to switch back and forth between 2 and 3 wheeling, otherwise go to a full conversion.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put a voyager on my 05. Rode it to the mountains towing my trailer. Most of this was interstate and four lane. Removed the voyager and tried to ride Cherola (sp) Skyway and Deal's Gap. It seemed like every time I turned, the Voyager mounting hardware drug the pavement. In my opinion, the Voyager hardware that remains on the bike decrease ground clearance to the point of being dangerous. This turned a decent two wheeler into a POS. When I got back to the campground, I put the voyager on, hooked up my trailer and headed home. On the way home, I took tow lanes,ie Hwy28. The steering is extremely heavy and if you carry any speed into the corners, you will "fly" the inside wheel. When I got home, I remove the voyager kit entirely and returned my 05 to two wheel only status. I sold the kit on e-bay for a significant loss. If possible, find somewhere or someone willing to let you test drive a real trike.

B

·
0 Posts
If you search back through last summer, you will find a few strings about the Voyager and other 4 wheel kits.

Some of the folks that have them are happy with them, but not all are.

Trikes owners are almost all happy with their trikes. Sure a real trike costs a lot, but most times you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Rather than forking for any dollars to find out IF you want a trike, test drive as many as you can.

I had the TowPac Insta-Trike - yes rougher than 2 wheels, less expensive than the Voyager, no hardward to drag if you re-convert and looks MUCH NICER.

I now have the full conversion - much better.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I don't own a trike or Voyager kit. But, several people in my "club" had Voyager kits. After about a year they got rid of them and had trike conversions.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I talked to a Voyager dealer about a Voyager kit. He stated that the 2 wheels added will only help in balance. Will NOT help in overall comfort for rider. He said it was like having training wheels. The wheels help in balance but the riders feels the same...the kit is just a "ride along" for balance is what was explained to me

My wife was looking at a cheap way out of triking our bike. The more I looked into the Voyager, the more I was steering away from spending 4K and more like spending 10K-11K...BETTER comfort for SO on back means BETTER hearing for me NOT having her yelling in my ear as we are going down the road about how uncomfortable this turned out...

Just my 2 cents....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts