GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be missing something, vp sells the chrome cowling and lites for $179.00 but the lites only (from EC) run $149.00. what am I missing? it sounds too "cheap" to be true?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hope you ordered them

Dan,
It appears that they are trying to drop the chrome cowls but have some that already have the fog lamps installed.

If you don't have them, but want them, you should get connected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dan, I bought my lower cowl and lights from VP! He uses lights that are available from GI Goes under the brand name of "PILOT" (here where I live..Tacoma, WA.) and some creative mounting system. The lights are $20 for a pair and you can buy the lower cowl for around $80 on the net. I'm vary happy with mine and like the fact that I can replace the whole light or a bulb for a few $. Replacement bulbs are available at Schucks for about $7 (55watt). So in all fairness VP is in to it about $100+ in parts, then some labor (lights are pre-mounted for easy install) and free shipping. I think what he's clearing is an acceptable margin compaired to the Honda alternative. JMO.... :D

PS These lights have a yellow tinting FYI. Everyone who sees them says "man those are bright". :shock:

Happy VP customer........Smitty

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS

thanks for the input, I am going to call vp today and order it....love the help from the board...thanks again :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
vp driving lites

I second the motion. These are a quality item with great after-the-sale service from Val. The lights are held in place with springs and very easy to replace without removing the entire cowl, a feature you will come to love and appreciate. Be forewarned: these are 55 watters and burn very hot. Best advice is NOT to try using any vinyl protectors over them.(Don't ask me how I know). Val will be sending you a spare pair of bulbs which you will need fairly shortly as the original bulbs have a short life. Replacements are readily available in auto pts stores. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I snoozed, I loozed...vp is out of stock on both the cowling and the cowling w/lites...I hope they restock before my black abs arrives.....

·
Registered
533 Posts
It ain't no thang

Another black bike! Here's the good news.....the black 1800s look so good that you don't have to add anything to it for appearance sake. Other colors may need some help, but you are good to go for looks.

Why not just order the lights and mount them to the gray cowl?

BTW, excellent choice in bikes and color. What surprised me about black was that it isn't much harder than other colors to keep looking clean.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spent a day running from dealer to dealer to see all the colors all in one day, and after doing that, it wasn't even close...black is the one for me. I think I will just put the lights in the grey cowling....I will be spending enough on the spoiler and heated grips anyway...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may have to do that, I love the look of one color + chrome on a bike, I just wonder if it's worth the trouble going from grey to black..I will have to keep my eye open for photos of a monochrome black machine, I think it would look great...

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I couldn't stand the cheap look of the gray plastic, Dan. It just didn't look "finished" to my eyes. I think Honda should have sent them out of the factory "finished" :p

I had my gray gage panel painted too. I used satin black to match the upholstery. The picture I have stored is kinda big, but if you'd like to see it, I'll e it to ya.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd like to see the picture. I'm getting a Yellow 2003. Want to paint the cowl and thought about ordering the parts already painted. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts