GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my new set the other day and after checking with Val, I'm sure they are installed correctly. My first observation was that they blocked about 80% of the air coming up the forks but not all of it. Like Val said, you can't block 100%. Don't know what I was thinking... I also noticed yesterday on a ride down south at highway speeds that there seemed to be more of a "push" at my back (no, the wife wasn't on hitting me either) than before. Is this possible or just my imagination? There seemed to be more of a vacum in front of me (I know, that's what I wanted, right?). They are a great product and I am happy with them, just curious about the affect that I seem to be getting...

Has anyone else had that with the tunnel fillers?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I've noticed

I've also noticed a push from the back, but it wasnt because of the tunnel fillers and it's only at certain times, it's a speed wind direction thing. I don't quite have it down yet as far as speed wind direction etc.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
pgreen7436 said:
... I also noticed yesterday on a ride down south at highway speeds that there seemed to be more of a "push" at my back ...
What you are noticing is real and normal with the tunnel fillers.

The windshield creates a low pressure area behind it and air is going to try to fill it. If you block the air coming up the fork tunnel it's going to come from somewhere else causing more buffetting for the passenger as the 'still air' envelope starts to collapse. One of the main purposes of a windshield vent is to enlarge the so-called 'still air' envelope and reduce buffetting. The main purpose of the tunnel fillers is to reduce the rain, dust, and dirt that is carried up with the air flow. The windshield vent admits cleaner air and probably would be a good addition to use with the tunnel fillers. JMHO! :D

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I agree with Bob, I want a vent in my windshield to address this issue, but I am having a problem spending the money. Good chance I will be selling my 01 down the road and starting all over.

I would expect, that if I got 10 cents on the dollar for all my after market stuff, that I would be doing pretty good.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Gee's

Gee's maybe I'm all wet ? LOL Ya Bob that does sound very plausible.
( I looked that word up in the book ) LOL And it even sounds scientific, but I wonder how come I do not feel it all of the time ? Hmmmmmm, maybe thats where the wind speed and direction comes into play. Maybe a tailwind would increase the speed of the air trying to fill the envelope ?
Well enough of this theory stuff my heads starting to hurt ! LOL :idea:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The windshield vent admits cleaner air and probably would be a good addition to use with the tunnel fillers.
I have the '04 and it has the windshield vent. I notice this push even if I open it, which isn't necessary to let air flow up the back side of the windshield.

At least now I know I'm not loosing it anyway.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
With or without the tunnel fillers , my back gets cold first while I am riding alone.

The wind seems to collapse or swirl right at my back.

This happens with the stock 2004 wind shield with it fully raised up. Vent open or not.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tony in AZ said:
This happens with the stock 2004 wind shield with it fully raised up. Vent open or not.
That's what I'm looking into a new Cee Baily for. I am thinking that at least the +4 would work fine for me. I don't mind looking through the windshield...

:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the tunnel fillers installed and a Windbender windshield. I noticed that even with the stock windshield my back was getting cold or affected by the wind. Discussions with others that have the Baker Wings and other types tell me that that is common and can be reduced by installing the side wings. It makes the envelope larger, but you do create a larger frontal area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts