GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so after much deliberation I finally have ordered my vstream se windshield, so I read that the instructions that come with the shield are not the best, I would very much appreciate any help and tips for the install so I can have this worked out in my head while I await the delivery of the shield, there seems to be some issues with the placement of the rubber strips? So any help would be great. I have ordered the shield from Bulldog, great to deal with.
Thanks
:bow:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I polished mine with CycleCare before the install. All of it, both sides, not just the part you look through. (Lets it slide easier?). Remember you can loosen the strap that cranks down on the shield with those two levers by adding a couple washers on each end of the strap.

Good luck, several people have trouble adjusting theirs. If you do, just add those washers.

Mack

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking that if the problem is the shield sliding on the rubbers that have to be stuck on i may give them a wipe over with a little silicon spray, just an idea.:shrug:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I opted out of the rubber strips. Someone said they used some of the soft side of velcro for the strips. :shrug: I left out the step and all seems fine.
I also used all the OEM screws. The shield is tight, but moveable. I haven't moved it but a couple times to clean it though.
Take your time, it is only about a 30-45 minute job, at least for me, and I have never done it before. Use a rag inside the mirror housing so you don't drop nuts and spacers when you take it apart.
Sorry to say, but I have deleted the instructions. Contact National Cycle if you need them. I did and had a reply pretty quick, so they do check their mail.
Take your time and be mindfull of how things came apart. It is pretty straight foreward and the only real pain is the nuts under the mirror rubber. Not too bad, but tight. If a club finger gorilla such as myself can do it, you should be fine. One more thing. The Rain Guard or what ever they call it works pretty well and bugs come off easily with water, it is kind of cool, when I opend the bottle, it was smoking like a witches brew. Use the included towels and a little dab goes a long way. I started with a couple of coats.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Installation video helps

When I replaced my stock (non-vented) windscreen on my '02, I installed the V-Stream SE.
I'd heard that the printed instructions were a bit lacking and hard to see, so I used this video to help -- it was a breeze!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjU9hAMIKN0&feature=related

And I LOVE the V-Stream SE.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, i was also thinking about leaving off the rubber strips, if other shields dont need them i wonder why the vstream does?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I like to stuff a towel in the holes by the mirrors, so that when the little screws and nuts fall, (they will), they don't fall in to the black abyss of the Goldwing.

Also I put some silicone spray on a rag, and wipe it on the mirror rubber tabs to assist in putting them in place. I also use a tiny flat blade screw driver to assist in stuffing, moving and forcing those danged tabs into place. Kind of like being an OB/GYN surgeon to get that rubber to lay flat. Sometimes, it takes two or three sessions to get them right. Be patient!

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I like to stuff a towel in the holes by the mirrors, so that when the little screws and nuts fall, (they will), they don't fall in to the black abyss of the Goldwing.

Also I put some silicone spray on a rag, and wipe it on the mirror rubber tabs to assist in putting them in place. I also use a tiny flat blade screw driver to assist in stuffing, moving and forcing those danged tabs into place. Kind of like being an OB/GYN surgeon to get that rubber to lay flat. Sometimes, it takes two or three sessions to get them right. Be patient!

Bulldog
Great tips! I'd forgotten what a challenge the mirror rubber tabs can be, but patience gets it done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts