GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I'm keeping my Wing, but I'd like to add a bike to the stable... I recently sold my '91 Suzuki VX800 and I'm starting to miss the feel of a v-twin. I was looking at prices of 2006-ish vtx 1300's and it looks like they can be had for a little more than $4k... I'd like to buy one and put hard luggage on it (Hardstreet bags?). Do we have any vtx owners that care to chime in with their thoughts/opinions on the bike? What does it do well? Not so well? Again, I'm keeping the wing and would use the VTX for solo riding and commuting to work on the highway.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've got a 2006 1300c that I am selling because I want to move up to a gold wing. It has about 14k miles on it and I'm hoping to get $5500. I can get you some more spec and photos if you are interested. Bike is immaculate and well maintained. I've seen a number of guys put hard bags on theirs, but I have some great leather Saddleman bags that look and function awesomely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
Vtx 1300

I had a 06 1300S that I put a trunk and hard bags on for touring. The only thing I can say is it is not really a 2up bike, other then that I really like mine. You can add so much aftermarket stuff to make it yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I had a VTX 1300 for a short time. I had soft bags, windshield, passenger backrest, and crash bars on it. Otherwise stock. I thought the bike was great. Wife could only ride about 75 miles and she had to get off it because of the pain. The backseat just wasn't any good at all. I also didn't like the fuel range as it was on reserve at around 140 miles. Other than those minor things I really liked it and as a solo rider it would be fine. I wouldn't mind having another one just to ride around on short rides solo.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
First of all, I'm keeping my Wing, but I'd like to add a bike to the stable... I recently sold my '91 Suzuki VX800 and I'm starting to miss the feel of a v-twin. I was looking at prices of 2006-ish vtx 1300's and it looks like they can be had for a little more than $4k... I'd like to buy one and put hard luggage on it (Hardstreet bags?). Do we have any vtx owners that care to chime in with their thoughts/opinions on the bike? What does it do well? Not so well? Again, I'm keeping the wing and would use the VTX for solo riding and commuting to work on the highway.

Thanks in advance...
I have a 04 VTX1300R. Actually it is my wife's bike. She has ridden it as far west as the Spearfish and to the northern tip of Nova Scotia and many places in between. It has a windshield and a trunk bag but when we travel most of her stuff is in our trailer that I tow. The bike has been trouble free. I agree with an earlier post that it is not set up for two person riding although we have used it to go from a motel to a restaurant and return. She is able to keep up with the Wing although she will not ride as fast as I will go. She will run the speed limit plus maybe 5 so I do run slower with her along.

I do ride the VTX around town and enjoy it. Unfortunately we have a seat from Ultimate on the VTX designed for her so it sort of cramps me and I really can't ride the bike for more than a 100 or so miles but that is due to a modification.

It is a great bike, but honestly unless I was planning to ride more than just locally, I would forget the bags and use a big trunk bag on the rear seat. Unless you will be riding two up a lot then the bags are a better option.

Many will say to get the 1800 but the 1300 is a lot easier to move around in the garage.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Thanks in advance...
Scotty, I just old my vtx 1300R with many many mods and BDscycles.com paint job for $4000. Where were you for the past yr!!! lol.

I always ran the thought of keeping the X for short trips. If you are looking at vtx 1300. The 1300 C model has narrower front wheel, and sporty/ shorter fenders. The 1300 R (retro) has aluminum wheels, nice fender lines. The 1300 S model has everything the same as the R (retro) but the S has spokewheels. There are very good running bikes and simple for maintenance. They are "light steering" at slow parking lot speeds. Single carb V-twin Honda bike......enough said

I put 29,000 + miles on my X in 5 yrs with zero problems.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a VTX 1300 after downsizing from a GL1800 Wing. The only negative issue that I had was the stock seat felt like a brick after a 30 - 45 minute ride. A Mustang seat solved that problem. I rode it for almost 3 years. I missed the Wing and have another one now. Would have liked to kept both bikes, but couldn't.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
We got a VTX1300 for my wife a few years back.
I rode it a few times. It is a nice bike. It had plenty of power and was fairly smooth. Hers had a Corbin seat and it really made my butt numb though.

My wife put quite a few miles on it until one weekend when it tossed her on the ground like a rag doll. She never really was comfortable with it after that, so she sold it and got a Miata.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had a 06 1300S that I put a trunk and hard bags on for touring. The only thing I can say is it is not really a 2up bike, other then that I really like mine. You can add so much aftermarket stuff to make it yours.
I had an 06 1300R. I met Ret1SG and his family and literally copied his bike except mine was red. Rode a wing once and sold the VTX to my brother in law.

I got it to learn how to ride before stepping up to the wing. Rode it all over the place for about 2 years. Like quoted it was not much for long distance 2 up without quite a bit of upgrades, but once you find that combination, it was alot of fun to scoot around on. Great people on VTX board and tons of information to be had about all things VTX.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the all the replies... I'll use the Wing for all my 2-up duties. However, with a good seat, it sounds like I could tour solo on the VTX? How compliant is the bike at highway speeds (70-75mph)? I had a Vulcan 900 Classic before the VX800, and the Vulcan was wound up too much at highway speeds for my liking.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
This is my 06 1300 S Model, I used RoadKing bags and Easybrackets to mount the bags. I put over 21,000 on it in about 2 years then got the wing. Wife still rides her 04 C Model with about 32,000 on it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The X is fine at highway speeds and well beyond. wife and I together were just shy of 500 lbs of humanity and the X didn't care. The only issue with the X is it is more susceptible to being pushed around by the wind than is the wing. While passing tractor trailers I could tell a huge difference between the two bikes, with that said once you experience a few times it is not that big a deal.

I used old Bates fiberglass saddle bags and trunk off of e-bay to get the hard bag look that I wanted. The fairing I had put on also came from E-bay.

The only thing to watch out for on a used X is what exhaust modification has been done to it. They range in sound from mild to angry sounding. Mine had a "Kiwi" mod done to it. It was fairly quite at idle and had a nice tone as it went down the road. I found after 2+ hours of it I was wishing it would just "Shut up". The other common question for new X owners in the engine noise. The X makes noise, it was explained to me that a happy X engine should sound like a really angry sewing machine.

hope it helps.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Thanks for the all the replies... I'll use the Wing for all my 2-up duties. However, with a good seat, it sounds like I could tour solo on the VTX? How compliant is the bike at highway speeds (70-75mph)? I had a Vulcan 900 Classic before the VX800, and the Vulcan was wound up too much at highway speeds for my liking.
The VTX does fine at highway speeds, that is the main reason we got the one for my wife. She started off with a 750 Shadow and it just plain wore her out when she would ride with a group of 1800s. The VTX took care of that problem quite well.

This was hers

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had my 1800C for 3 years and still love riding it around anywhere with no issues. The 1800 may be a little bigger but the fuel injection is the reason I bought it over the 1300. I am 5' 8" and 160lbs and have no problem handling it anywhere even in slow tight turns. I bought the wing because my wife couldn't ride very long on it even though we tried everything to make it better. Now with the wing she asks if we can go for a ride and when she doesn't want to ride, I take the V.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I have an 04 VTX 1300S. LOVE it. I have owned 6 gold wings, the last 2 being an 02 and an 08. I can say that the VTX is one of the most comfortable I have owned. There are a lot of differences between the models. The s/r have different handle bars, different fenders, different seats. The R/S has floor boards and heel/toe shifter. The C model has more like drag bars and no floor boards. I have a Memphis shades bat wing on mine and 2 different windshields, 5" & 12". Also saddle bags and a few extras. When I bought my S I looked at a C model but didn't like it.
The tank is 4.8 gals and I get about 40 - 44 mpg. I have owned it for 8 months and have put 5,000 miles on it, I have been on 2 multi day/multi mile rides. The only draw back on the S/R model is less ground clearance because of the floor boards, but the pivot so you still can ride twisties, but they will drag if your aggressive. The 1800 VTX has a smaller tank than the 1300.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Bought an 03 1300R in July of 02. Had it for 30 months and put 46,000 miles on it.Spent over $5,000 on it for valve adjustments, oil changes, tires, brakes, etc... I didn't do any wrenching on it myself. It would only do 113 mph wide open on a level surface. :cool:
I really liked riding that bike, my wife - not so much, she only rode on it about 3 times for a short distance. She didn't like the seat.
Traded it for an 02 Wing and never looked back. Love the Wing(s) comfort, power, and maneuverability.
The VTX was a great bike, but not a Wing, IMO there's no comparison.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bought an 03 1300R in July of 02. Had it for 30 months and put 46,000 miles on it.Spent over $5,000 on it for valve adjustments, oil changes, tires, brakes, etc... I didn't do any wrenching on it myself. It would only do 113 mph wide open on a level surface. :cool:
I really liked riding that bike, my wife - not so much, she only rode on it about 3 times for a short distance. She didn't like the seat.
Traded it for an 02 Wing and never looked back. Love the Wing(s) comfort, power, and maneuverability.
The VTX was a great bike, but not a Wing, IMO there's no comparison.
Agreed, that's why I am keeping the wing. I just need that v-twin fix every now and then. These VTX 1300's seem to be a heck of a good value. I'd like a Street Glide or a Road King, but I can't get into one for $4k. The only big negative I've seen so far is the sewing machine noise on the highway, but I usually wear earplugs anyway.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a 2005 VTX1300R for sale on the VTXOA website. Unfortunally I live in North Carolina. My wife does not like to ride so thats all I did was have it set up for solo. Has a russell day long seat, different air intake, beach bars, true cruise control, marbalized green paint, HD bags with ghost brackets, both front and rear progressive springs and shocks. 30400 miles for $4250. My wife says that I have to sell it before I get my F6B. Already started ordering accessories for the F6B.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts