GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, this is the Goldwing forum, but I need to put brakes on my son's VTX C. Our sponser sells EBC's which I'm familiar with, Galfer,which I know nothing about, SBC's, and the Honda brand, which I'm leaning towards. Any and all input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I know, I know, this is the Goldwing forum, but I need to put brakes on my son's VTX C. Our sponser sells EBC's which I'm familiar with, Galfer,which I know nothing about, SBC's, and the Honda brand, which I'm leaning towards. Any and all input would be appreciated.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/index.php

Another great forum with excellant resources. I notice the consensus there is heavily in favor of OE brake shoes and I agree. Don't forget to change the brake fluid and lube the slider pins. There is a good how to wiki there too.

prs

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
The "C" model suffers from the same malady as our GL1800. The rear reservoir rests close to the pipe while ours is stuffed inside a cover which gathers header and engine heat. The fluid in them deteriorates quickly because of the heat. Odd that the "main" brake for our linked system would be in the worst place, but it is.

Yup. That's the "X" res stuffed between the pipe and the front jug.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have an 2002 1800 C and I currently have EBC pads on it and some of my other bikes. I noticed better bite from the EBC pads versus the OEM pads. One draw back ( which many who use the EBC's on the VTX will attest)........The pads generate a slight buzzing sound while riding. The sound does disipate over time with miles driven. Some don't like the noise. It didn't bother me. It took about 400 miles for the noise to subside.

Here are some notes from my bike records........
I found it odd that I had to replace the rear pads before the fronts because I rarely use the rear brake.

10-24-09 30153 Rear Brake Pads Replacement
Replaced the OEM pads with EBC double H friction Superbike sintered pads # FA261HH. $39.00
The old pads had worn down almost to the backing plate on one pad.
The front pads have approximately .060” remaining. These will need to be replaced when the front tire is changed. See 4-22-10 entry.

4-22-10 33607 Original Front Brake Pads Replacement
EBC double H friction Superbike sintered pads # FA261HH. Honda Direct Line $ 69.98
The EBC pads look identical to the Nissan pads. They are dimensionally the same at all measurements. Each front caliper was cleaned of all brake debris and the pucks were extended for a good cleaning and then function tested for smooth even actuation. All caliper pins were cleaned and greased. The front brake lever pivot bolt and actuator pin was cleaned and greased. The OEM pads had worn down to approximately .030” of the backing plate with fairly even wear across all pads. The linked braking system on the VTX applies pressure to the front center pucks (the center/middle puck on each front caliper) when the rear brake is applied. These pucks are slightly smaller in diameter than the two outer pucks on each caliper which are actuated by the front brake lever. Brakes are working better than before. Brakes are noticeably smoother and stronger now. Much better than OEM in wet weather. These pads generate a slight buzzing sound while underway. This is a well know issue with the EBC pads and is suppose to subside with mileage.
Notes added 7-31-10:
The buzzing has almost totally gone away after 400 miles of city/country riding.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The "C" model suffers from the same malady as our GL1800. The rear reservoir rests close to the pipe while ours is stuffed inside a cover which gathers header and engine heat.
The fluid in them deteriorates quickly because of the heat.

Odd that the "main" brake for our linked system would be in the worst place, but it is.

Yup. That's the "X" res stuffed between the pipe and the front jug.
I have to beg to differ with you on this one Waldo.
The placement of the reservoir and the resulting accumulated heat into the fluid is not detrimental to the fluid. The dry boiling point of DOT 3 fluid is 401 degrees and DOT 4 is 446 degrees. That brake reservoir doesn't get anywhere near that hot. Many vehicle and industrial engine applications have slave cylinders and reservoirs close to heat sources that accumulate much more heat than the reservoir on the VTX. I can assure you the clutch slave cylinder of the wing gets much hotter than the VTX brake reservoir. I know I've gotten my calipers hotter durring heavy braking than the reservoir ever gets. In addition, the VTX use a hydraulic clutch with the slave cylinder bolted to the engine, just like the wing. No problems with them due to heat.

Moister absorption is the major detrimental factor to the fluid because it lowers the operating temp of the fluid and it corrodes the system components. That's the reason it needs to be changed on a regular basis. Some heat in the reservoir is actually a good thing because if the fluid gets above 212 degrees, the moister has a tendency to flash out of solution. Unfortunately because the systems are sealed, the water vapor has no place to go and is re-introduced/re-adsorbed into the brake fluid once the system cools off below 212 degrees.
The wet boiling point of DOT 3 is 284 degrees. If water moister laden fluid in the calipers reaches that temp, you no longer have brakes because the water has flashed to vapor at that point. Not good.
Clutch systems do not get hot enough to flash moister laden fluid but it will corrode the components of the system.

Change your hydraulic fluids at least once a year because, once corrosion damage has occured in the system, just changing the fluid will not reverse the damage.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an 2002 1800 C and I currently have EBC pads on it and some of my other bikes. I noticed better bite from the EBC pads versus the OEM pads. One draw back ( which many who use the EBC's on the VTX will attest)........The pads generate a slight buzzing sound while riding. The sound does disipate over time with miles driven. Some don't like the noise. It didn't bother me. It took about 400 miles for the noise to subside.

Here are some notes from my bike records........
I found it odd that I had to replace the rear pads before the fronts because I rarely use the rear brake.

10-24-09 30153 Rear Brake Pads Replacement
Replaced the OEM pads with EBC double H friction Superbike sintered pads # FA261HH. $39.00
The old pads had worn down almost to the backing plate on one pad.
The front pads have approximately .060” remaining. These will need to be replaced when the front tire is changed. See 4-22-10 entry.

4-22-10 33607 Original Front Brake Pads Replacement
EBC double H friction Superbike sintered pads # FA261HH. Honda Direct Line $ 69.98
The EBC pads look identical to the Nissan pads. They are dimensionally the same at all measurements. Each front caliper was cleaned of all brake debris and the pucks were extended for a good cleaning and then function tested for smooth even actuation. All caliper pins were cleaned and greased. The front brake lever pivot bolt and actuator pin was cleaned and greased. The OEM pads had worn down to approximately .030” of the backing plate with fairly even wear across all pads. The linked braking system on the VTX applies pressure to the front center pucks (the center/middle puck on each front caliper) when the rear brake is applied. These pucks are slightly smaller in diameter than the two outer pucks on each caliper which are actuated by the front brake lever. Brakes are working better than before. Brakes are noticeably smoother and stronger now. Much better than OEM in wet weather. These pads generate a slight buzzing sound while underway. This is a well know issue with the EBC pads and is suppose to subside with mileage.
Notes added 7-31-10:
The buzzing has almost totally gone away after 400 miles of city/country riding.
My experience exactly with EBC's on my wing. Are the OEM pads thicker than aftermarket like they are on the wing?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We were bleeding the clutch and brakes, and that's when we noticed how worn the pads were. The clutch fluid was REAL nasty. ( he bought the bike used a year ago)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Are the OEM pads thicker than aftermarket like they are on the wing?

I don't know because I never compared the pad thickness between front and rear calipers when the VTX was new. My guess is OEM pads may be thicker on the rears than on the front (like the wing) because the OEM VTX pad part numbers are different for the front than the rears (like the wing). Dimensional mounting aspects of the VTX pads are the same for fronts and rears, and evidence of that is EBC uses the same part number for all three calipers (FA261HH).

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know because I never compared the pad thickness between front and rear calipers when the VTX was new. My guess is OEM pads may be thicker on the rears than on the front (like the wing) because the OEM VTX pad part numbers are different for the front than the rears (like the wing). Dimensional mounting aspects of the VTX pads are the same for fronts and rears, and evidence of that is EBC uses the same part number for all three calipers (FA261HH).
Thanks!... That's what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have been using Galfer brake pads to replace the worn ones on my '05 and so far have been pleased with them. The price is reasonable and so is the performance. Get the green ones which conform to OEM spec.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts