GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from signing up for my Social Security. Somehow I walked away feeling old.

Ok...so I'm old...now send me my check so that I can buy gas for my trike...I have a trip in the planning stages. :tongue:

Anyone else feel that way when you started drawing your SS?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I started drawing my SS (turned 62 Jul '10) in Nov '10 (laid off 1 Oct '10) and still feeling good about it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Social Security

I'll be drawing mine before very long. I'm waiting until I am 66 which is not too far away. Somedays I feel old but most days I'm still 16 in my mind. At least the little bit of my mind that I have left. Maybe that's dementia setting in! :joke:

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Nope....never did feel old when I signed up for my SS. Was ecstatic that I didn't have to work anymore, I was healthy and I would start receiving my SS. Life is good!!! Especially given the alternative. :thumbup:
Enjoy yourself and have a great trip.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I initially signed up on-line.

Had to go to the office a couple months later to turn in a additional withholding document.

I didn't feel old, but was really surprised on how many younger people were there for their what-evers.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Just returned from signing up for my Social Security. Somehow I walked away feeling old.

Ok...so I'm old...now send me my check so that I can buy gas for my trike...I have a trip in the planning stages. :tongue:

Sorry, we gave your money to some illegals. None left you you.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Every semester we have a new bunch of interns and hire fresh news assistants who are just out of school. They make me feel old CONSTANTLY.

Now if had $50 million dollars and was prepared to spend some of it on these fresh young faces...well, according the latest scoring from the Congressional Budget Office, I can subtract 7 years for each $10 million dollars until I am down to about 35. That puts me just barely into their target age group for dating). That's why I still buy Powerball tickets :cool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm with CAWing! Lovin' it!
What makes me feel old is forgetting...um...things that...uh...
I'll get back to you on that.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
I initially signed up on-line.

Had to go to the office a couple months later to turn in a additional withholding document.

I didn't feel old, but was really surprised on how many younger people were there for their what-evers.
The same thing happened to me when I signed up for Soc Sec. I thought I was in the wrong building because everyone looked like they were 40 yrs. old or younger. Lots of young pregnant gals being waited on. :shrug:

·
Registered
674 Posts

ask me that in 20 years... hope you have a great trip....:bow:

·
Registered
714 Posts
What made me feel old is when I returned yesterday from a trip to Dallas to Houston in the 104+ degree heat... :shock:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
We never felt better. Jan 1, 2011. ding dong, the stress is gone. yeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
My wife retired last June 1st and is collecting SS.

Now, I like to tell people that I'm sleeping with a woman on SS. :lol:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Didn't make me feel old, I already felt old. Been drawing for 19 months now, going to "retire" 12/31/2011!!!! Had to wait on the wifey, she didn't want me to stay home alone. Actually we want to have EVERYTHING paid for first, that will be in October, then we will throw in the towel the end of December!!

:excited::excited::excited::excited:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I'm starting on my 4th week of retirement this morning. So far so good. The one scary part was whether my wife would kill me during the first month. She actually told her friends that it's so good that she is looking forward to our retirement together and that I'm like a new person.

We both are pretty active. I told her I would try not to interrupt her routine and the things she has been doing for the past 5 years (her retirement) and I would be adding things to my life as I got to them.

With it being so hot I'm not riding much but I'm using my time to catch up on all the honey-do's around the house; I'm able to do some visiting for my Sunday School Department that I wasn't able to do before; getting the camper ready for cooler weather; getting boat ready for cooler weather; and just basically waiting for cooler weather. I don't do this kind of heat very well. Road trip in the works to visit my family but not on the trike.

All in all retirement is good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Social Security

I walked away with a smile on my face:p

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am starting the process now. Retire 50% on May 1, 2012. Then retire full time 12/31/13. I am drawing it out so I can get as much of that company money as I can. They pay me 50% of my salary for showing up 50% of the time. It's to help the new guys take over my business. And it helps me to slide into retirement without going a little nuts. I hope

O

·
0 Posts
Not yet

I retired 4 1/2 years ago (early retirement, full service, peace officer) & it seems like a few months ago. My wife retired a year ago. I contributed to SS my whole career, but am too young to collect. Wife did not contribute (teacher/educator). I figure by the time we are old enough to collect it, it will pay for increased medical costs. If we don't need it for that, we'll travel more!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts