GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Anyone come up with a bracket design that will allow me to mount some inexpensive driving lights from Wally World in the lower cowl of my 08 non airbag 1800?

Had those lights on my 95 1500 and my 99 R1100RT and I like the light output vs the cost output.

Thanks,
Marc[/QUOTI

I just used the brackets that came with the lights and used longer bolts and some nylon spacers to adapt them to the wing, not that hard to do..

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
"You should only use equipment recommended by or designed by Honda. Anything else could be dangerous."

Oh, wait. That only applies to tires....

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If you look on the engine you will see where the bolts go for the plastic inserts that go in front of the engine case guards. If I can get to it I will take a pic, they are #6 10 if not mistaken, you will have to get two new bolts, one is way longer than the other, to make the lights sit up agianst the cowl..

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Affordable Fog Light Options

Yes. I'm interested in this too.

No way I'm spending $500 for special "Gold Wing" lights. I had $30 "high intensity" lights on my first bike and they worked great! For me, the driving lights are mostly to make ME more visible, so whatever works is fine with me.

I'm riding a 2012. Any OTHER suggestions for easy, affordable fog lights for the Wing?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Marc
try Street Side auto, bought a set of 2 1/2" driving lamps as a kit for $72, all alum housing, glass lense 55 W halogen bulbs, black powder coated
check it out ....:thumbup:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hey, that is what I was just thinking about doing today. I have a really good set but could not figure out how to mount them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
There was a member here that showed how he used the reg bracket and mounted it to the cowl. Used SS bevel headed bolts with upholstery(trim) washers also SS. Easy peasy, just have to disconnect them to remove the lower cowl.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I mounted a set on the bottom engine guard. Busted one on the road in a hot corner. Replaced them and knocked them off in another curve so I decided to pony up and mount a set in the cowling.

Good inexpensive set of lights and get the job done, in my thought made the bike more visible. Just didn't work where I wanted the extra light, down low.

·
Registered
629 Posts
What mudbug said,It is #6 10 One is a little longer then the other. I have had them on my bike for 4yrs now. I Have a seperate swtch in my left panel,The switch came from radio shack. Love my Lower Lights.
Jack

·
Registered
75 Posts
O'Reilly Auto parts

Anyone come up with a bracket design that will allow me to mount some inexpensive driving lights from Wally World in the lower cowl of my 08 non airbag 1800?

Had those lights on my 95 1500 and my 99 R1100RT and I like the light output vs the cost output.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Driving-Light-Kit-with-Hid-Style-Lenses/16680055
Thanks,
Marc
Take a look at O'Reilly Auto Parts. They have a set of LED lights in the same mount. They look pretty bright. Only $17.

·
Registered
931 Posts
What about wiring them to power?

·
Registered
73 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I mounted a set of chrome wally world drivng lights on my Venture just to test the wiring and mount before I invested in decent quality lights. They rusted (almost) while I was standing there doing the test. Actually I think it was a month or two.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wally world driving lights

I mounted them on the bottom front fender bolts, I replaced the bolt that came with the light bracket with a longer one using the same thread and put a collar and nut around it for a spacer. Have been using them since July of this year. 1 bulb burnt out but was able to replace it from ebay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts