GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pirelli Eufori Runflat 195/55-16 came in yesterday; it's on the bike along with a new Bridgestone G-709 at the front.

It was no problem getting the tire and wheel into place on the bike. I had the front wheel off anyway so I just lowered the jack down a bit and squeezed the tire into position giving it a good kick to get it past a tight spot. I didn't have to let the air out of the Pirelli to get it on.

As far as getting it mounted on the wheel, I had the car tire shop where I bought it do the mounting.

I'd been running a 70 series rear tire for two years. The Pirelli puts the bike an inch and a half lower at the rear, a tiny bit lower than stock, even. I can really feel that difference. It's not unpleasant, just weird feeling.

The ride is a lot smoother on the rear now. There is definitely less jouncing on the tail over rough pavement than I had on the old tire, a Dunlop Elite III. It behaves worlds better on dirt roads, a real problem with the stock tires.

So far, so good.

**Disclaimer. The preceding consists of my impressions/experience/opinions with a Pirelli auto tire mounted to the rear wheel of my Gold Wing GL1800A. It is not intended to induce innocent motorcyclists into sin, a wholly unnecessary endeavor.

·
Registered
411 Posts

According to some of the comments I have seen regarding people going over to "The Dark Side", I'd say your number was 666!

Cloud9

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am definitely installing a 195/55 tire on the back of my wing to check out the difference. This summer when we go on vacation two up pulling the trailer I think the load handling capability will be a big asset. After a flat back tire at 70 mph last summer we installed tire monitors on the bike. If I like the handling I am going to install a tire monitor inside the wheel with the car tire to see the temperature difference. I have a feeling the tire temperature will be a lot lower on the car tire. The temp of the back tire has always concerned me when we were traveling in the hot summer weather with a full load. The m/c back tires get really hot.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Don't know what number you get but.................."here's your sign" !! :)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Just for FYI. The max pressure on this tire is 51. The max payload is 1202, and the total wieght of the tire is 24 lbs.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
leftwinger said:
My Pirelli Eufori Runflat 195/55-16 came in yesterday; it's on the bike along with a new Bridgestone G-709 at the front.

It was no problem getting the tire and wheel into place on the bike. I had the front wheel off anyway so I just lowered the jack down a bit and squeezed the tire into position giving it a good kick to get it past a tight spot. I didn't have to let the air out of the Pirelli to get it on.

As far as getting it mounted on the wheel, I had the car tire shop where I bought it do the mounting.

I'd been running a 70 series rear tire for two years. The Pirelli puts the bike an inch and a half lower at the rear, a tiny bit lower than stock, even. I can really feel that difference. It's not unpleasant, just weird feeling.

The ride is a lot smoother on the rear now. There is definitely less jouncing on the tail over rough pavement than I had on the old tire, a Dunlop Elite III. It behaves worlds better on dirt roads, a real problem with the stock tires.

So far, so good.

**Disclaimer. The preceding consists of my impressions/experience/opinions with a Pirelli auto tire mounted to the rear wheel of my Gold Wing GL1800A. It is not intended to induce innocent motorcyclists into sin, a wholly unnecessary endeavor.

leftwinger..I measured my Pirelli R/F 195/55/16 and it is the same (OD) size as my new 704 Bridgestone I have (had) waiting to go on,and the same for the E3 I was running and had taken off.
I also tested my old Dunlop FM901 against my GPS and the speeds was off by 6 Mph with the 901,And when I tested the E3 it was off by 5 Mph,and the Pirelli was the same as the E3 at 5 mph faster than my GPS.

I'm sure your feeling the difference from the taller 70 series R/T..But the 55 series Pirelli is the same size OD as the stock rear tire on the 1800..

I have pictures posted here. http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... &start=850

I run 35 Psi in my R/F,and for me it does everything I want it to do.especially in the twistys,where most of my riding is done...I can't get this tire to skip out from under me in a tight turn,yet the E3 did it to me on several occasions,and that played on how hard I throttled out of the turns in the very same sections of my rides..

I feel that this Pirelli has better grip than the 901,because I am the one who tested both..And I like the Pirelli better,and I was quite happy with the 901's performance,and would recommend it as well.
I went with the R/F for it's thicker sidewall,And was curious about how it would feel.?
I also like the rounder profile the Pirelli had over the 901 too.

My tires of choice are this R/F and I'm going back to the 709 Stone I have waiting for the E3 front to wear out.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rocky said:
leftwinger..I measured my Pirelli R/F 195/55/16 and it is the same (OD) size as my new 704 Bridgestone I have (had) waiting to go on,and the same for the E3 I was running and had taken off.
Yeah, Rocky. All of the sizes I mentioned were calculations based upon the advertised size of the tires, not the actual measurements. According to the calcs, the tires should be 24.504(E3) & 24.445(Pirelli) inches in diameter. Even the theoretical delta is not enough to worry about.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
steve s said:
Hi Steve,

That went over my head. What is my sign?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
leftwinger said:
steve s said:
Hi Steve,

Have you ever watched Jeff Foxworthy?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Arn Butt Bill said:
leftwinger said:
[quote="steve s":2e5980ti]Don't know what number you get but.................."here's your sign" !! :)
Hi Steve,

Have you ever watched Jeff Foxworthy?[/quote:2e5980ti]

Not to speak of, Bill. Thanks for the pointer, I'll use the Google.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts