GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having enjoyed my blacked-out matte silver F6B for four years now, I'm starting to ponder upgrading to the 2018+ model. I'm ready for the DCT and all the other nice features of the new bike...however, I'm not clear on whether to just purchase the Goldwing DCT model or to purchase a Tour model and remove the trunk. I will definitely NOT be using the trunk, so whichever way I go, I don't want a trunk.

The possible reason for buying a Tour model and removing the trunk is to gain those features I would lack in the bagger model, such as, center stand, heated grips, heated seat (which I don't really need), and electronic suspension adjustment...and there may be other features I'm not aware of yet?

The quandary comes when I start looking at colors, and I know I want the blacked-out model...and it appears there is no option for a blacked-out Tour...is that correct?

Has anyone else felt similarly, and found a way around this?

Thanks in advance for any experience you can share!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I’m only guessing, there is likely a few Bagger owners out there who would like to brighten up their ride with Tour bits. Post an ad to meet and swap parts, exhaust, engine trim, wheels are easy enough then black wrap the exposed frame and fork.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Buy the non Tour bike. If you do not care about a heated seat the electronic suspension is not really functional to me at all. The look seems to be a bigger priority. Spend the saved money on a set of Traxxion shocks. Knowing what I know now about the electronic suspension it was a waste of money, but I really like the Blue so its irrelative.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I agree about the electronic suspension. Changed mine 1 time to see how it works. Set it back to 1-up and it's been that way ever since (11k+). But I do always ride 1-up so . . .
And for less than $200 bucks you have a big choice of windscreen widths & heights. DCT std comes with reverse & heated grips as I recall.

·
Registered
772 Posts
No easy way but you can buy the tour model and black out the wheels and exhaust. Maybe Honda will release a blacked out tour model for 2020?

·
Registered
106 Posts
well this is right up my alley.
i purchased the non tour red almost 12 k on it and love it

added center stand very easy to put on.

had the seat redone shaved it put gel pad in it added heater for the **** of it total cost 350.00

added custom chrome removable back rest

added shad expandable trunk and easy removable 3 mins

so bottom linei have a backed out tour.

however i did add some goldstrike chrome and pinstriping

i dont miss air shock , traction control, tall windshield,

hope this helps you

g

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
well this is right up my alley.
i purchased the non tour red almost 12 k on it and love it

added center stand very easy to put on.

had the seat redone shaved it put gel pad in it added heater for the **** of it total cost 350.00

added custom chrome removable back rest

added shad expandable trunk and easy removable 3 mins

so bottom linei have a backed out tour.

however i did add some goldstrike chrome and pinstriping

i dont miss air shock , traction control, tall windshield,

hope this helps you

g
Please post a pic!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Having enjoyed my blacked-out matte silver F6B for four years now, I'm starting to ponder upgrading to the 2018+ model. I'm ready for the DCT and all the other nice features of the new bike...however, I'm not clear on whether to just purchase the Goldwing DCT model or to purchase a Tour model and remove the trunk. I will definitely NOT be using the trunk, so whichever way I go, I don't want a trunk.

The possible reason for buying a Tour model and removing the trunk is to gain those features I would lack in the bagger model, such as, center stand, heated grips, heated seat (which I don't really need), and electronic suspension adjustment...and there may be other features I'm not aware of yet?

The quandary comes when I start looking at colors, and I know I want the blacked-out model...and it appears there is no option for a blacked-out Tour...is that correct?

I purchased a Standard Goldwing in August of 2018 (Pearl Stallion Brown). My girlfriend and I have taken multiple long distance trips and I have concluded the Tour model does not have anything that I miss or can't be added to the bike I have.

For me the Cruise Control and Heated Grips are a must and come standard. It was inexpensive and easy to add the Centerstand which again for me is a must on long trips.

I only adjust the preload on the suspension 3-4 times a year when we take long trips fully loaded. Normal riding preload is set at 25%, riding 2-up fully loaded preload is set at 75%. So I really don't miss the electronic suspension adjustment of the Tour model.

Heated grips and heated seat are nice to have items on those chilly evenings where you are dressed lightly and going short distances. if you are going to ride long distance at temps of 50 and below then heated grips with heated seat alone are not going to be enough.

I've ridden long distance with temps in the 20's and a heated seat alone does not cut it when your core temps start to drop. Wearing the Warm & Safe Heat Layer Shirt in combination with Heated Glove Liners while sitting on a non-heated seat allows me to ride comfortably into the 20's.

Like you, I prefer the Blacked-Out color scheme. After a year of riding I have no regrets with my choice to purchase a 2018 Standard Goldwing DCT.

·
Registered
560 Posts

I purchased a Standard Goldwing in August of 2018 (Pearl Stallion Brown). My girlfriend and I have taken multiple long distance trips and I have concluded the Tour model does not have anything that I miss or can't be added to the bike I have.

For me the Cruise Control and Heated Grips are a must and come standard. It was inexpensive and easy to add the Centerstand which again for me is a must on long trips.

I only adjust the preload on the suspension 3-4 times a year when we take long trips fully loaded. Normal riding preload is set at 25%, riding 2-up fully loaded preload is set at 75%. So I really don't miss the electronic suspension adjustment of the Tour model.

Heated grips and heated seat are nice to have items on those chilly evenings where you are dressed lightly and going short distances. if you are going to ride long distance at temps of 50 and below then heated grips with heated seat alone are not going to be enough.

I've ridden long distance with temps in the 20's and a heated seat alone does not cut it when your core temps start to drop. Wearing the Warm & Safe Heat Layer Shirt in combination with Heated Glove Liners while sitting on a non-heated seat allows me to ride comfortably into the 20's.

Like you, I prefer the Blacked-Out color scheme. After a year of riding I have no regrets with my choice to purchase a 2018 Standard Goldwing DCT.

·
Registered
106 Posts
its from custom chrome 25.00 bucks held on with velcro

good pouch for garage door opener and fob.

g

·
Registered
29 Posts
Only things (IMO) that would be worth getting a tour model for would be--
-TPMS pressure display
-Heated seat

All other features outside of the rear trunk are easily replicated/improved. Preload will be manual but it's work upgrading to traxxion shocks regardless.

·
Registered
482 Posts

I had a Black 2014, and it was blacked out ... I hear ya... thought about going non-tour and adding the trunk.. but I pull a trailer and the non-tour manual doesn't have reverse.. don't need it often but when ya do.. it's nice to have... and I have had few occasions where traction control would have been a really nice to have thing on my '14.
but the new bike itch was driving me crazy and I had to scratch it and got the tour.. with the chrome frame wheels and exhaust... Gold Strike has a black frame cover... but I saw a suggestion to see if a non-tour owner would swap parts.... so probably gonna look into that..

So all that to basically say... I feel ya pain.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the responses. I see I have more research to do before making any decision. First and foremost, I need to understand exactly what features I would "lose" buying the non-Tour model. So far, I understand this list would include: TPMS (can live without it), heated seat (can live without it), centerstand (can add one easily), heated grips (would like to add these too), electronic suspension preload set (if I can set this manually, I can live with that), reverse? I thought reverse was included in the DCT model...I've been living without reverse for 4 years now, but there have been a few times when it would have been nice...but it forces me to think ahead when parking.

Can anyone add to this list or direct me to a place where I can find one?

Thanks,

Jim O'Dowd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I see I have more research to do before making any decision. First and foremost, I need to understand exactly what features I would "lose" buying the non-Tour model. So far, I understand this list would include: TPMS (can live without it), heated seat (can live without it), centerstand (can add one easily), heated grips (would like to add these too), electronic suspension preload set (if I can set this manually, I can live with that), reverse? I thought reverse was included in the DCT model...I've been living without reverse for 4 years now, but there have been a few times when it would have been nice...but it forces me to think ahead when parking.

Can anyone add to this list or direct me to a place where I can find one?

Thanks,

Jim O'Dowd
You don't lose TPMS but you lose the tire pressure readout in the dash.

All DCT models (tour and non tour) come with reverse and forward walk.

Center stands are on ebay (basically brand new from trike conversion companies) for ~$60.

Pretty sure what you listed is pretty much the 'features' that you miss out on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts