GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am coming to Alaska the 1st part of Sep. I will be staying in Seward and Homer while I am there. I would like to do some fishing while I am there. Any suggestion on were to fish near those locations? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wingman47

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Your question is very broad and leaves it open to many questions to better help you.

How do you intend to fish...On shore, by boat, with a charter, for salmon, trout, halibut? What gear are you bringing? Tell us more about what you want to do and what your goal is and we can likely better answer your question.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fishing Alaska

My wife and I will be in a motorhome for two weeks. I will be fishing from the bank. We plan on going to Denali, Seward, and Homer, if we have the time. I really dont have any goals. I am bring one spinning rod and reel. I dont have any goals. Just thought it would be nice to catch different type of fish then we have in Nebraska.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Computers are wonderful. You can find anything.

This will get you started. Alaska fishing: Homer Area

If you are going to fish from the bank , you will be after trout, King salmon, and there is this thing called a squawfish.

Rooster tail spinners work, spoons and floating rapala's are good.

Check out the Alaska Game and Fish license site too, you can buy a one to three day non resident fishing license much cheaper than an annual one. Stamps for certain fish species are required also.

I love to fish.

If you have the time, and can afford it, go out on a boat out of Homer and go fishing for Halibut. Or not. They are big but not like fishing for trout or casting and such. Sport fishing is more fun.

Certain hook regulations apply also, some areas you have to use single barbless hooks.

Look up the Alaska game and fish site and study that. Call some of the tackle shops up there. They are always a good source of information. Where and how and what lures to use.

Kit

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
What - no Long John Silver's or Red Lobsters up there? :joke:

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
If I were back up there I would stay in Homer and go on a charter for Halibut!

There there is always the Kenai or the Russian river when the salmon are running but I believe September is the wrong time frame for that!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
With the cost of a one-day non-resident fishing license and being here in September, I'd almost say kept the rod and reel packed up. It isn't worth it because the fishing just isn't that hot to pay the price.

The 2011 prices are:
Nonresident 1 Day Sport Fishing License $20.00
Nonresident 3 Day Sport Fishing License $35.00
Nonresident 7 Day Sport Fishing License $55.00
Nonresident 14 Day Sport Fishing License $80.00

Here is ADF&Gs homepage: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishing.main

Another good source of info may be: http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/
A lot of people forget about Whittier. Fishing there runs late compared to other places for salmon and it is fishable from the shoreline. Look into it as well. It is on the way to Seward and Williwaw Campground is this side of the tunnel and is a great campground, perhaps #2 on the our list in Alaska #1 being Byers Lake Campground about 100 miles south of Denali Nat'l Park.

A book I would suggest getting if you don't mind spending a little money for some secrets is "The Alaska Roadside Angler Guide". Well worth it for the spots it will lead you to. :thumbup:

Enjoy the trip and holler if you need anything.

·
Banned
939 Posts
I have no idea about the halibut fishing up around that country but in Southeast the Silvers run well into September.

Check out Alaska Department of Fish and Game web site they keep excellent records of commercial fisheries catch data on weekly basis for salmon. They also do dock surveys and track the charter and sport fleet numbers very closely all of which will give you an idea of the runs and the trends.

They will also take your phone calls as they get “paid” to provide information and research data to residents and non residents alike.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fishing Alaska

Thanks to all who replied. I will check out the different web sites. Ride safe.:thumbup:

Wingman47

1 - 10 of 10 Posts