GL1800Riders Forums banner

Want Pics of Torq Loops installed on a GL1800, Please.

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
Because of another thread, I've become interested in Torq Master Torq loops and mufflers.

Does anyone have a pic of this set-up on an actuall GL1800?

The loops look a bit odd sitting on the floor as they have it on the wing stuff's web site.

Are the loops hidden or hiddiously exposed for all the world to see?

Thanks.

#2 ·
nedro said:
Because of another thread, I've become interested in Torq Master Torq loops and mufflers.

Does anyone have a pic of this set-up on an actuall GL1800?

The loops look a bit odd sitting on the floor as they have it on the wing stuff's web site.

Are the loops hidden or hiddiously exposed for all the world to see?

Thanks.
I don't have them but did explore them several months ago. The loops are hidden underneath the engine... they replace the stock catalytic converter setup... which you have to CUT off.

#7 ·
I think only CA requires a catalytic converter on motorcycles. Ga does not.
But, I guestion the logic of going thru all that work for only a slight HP/Torq improvement.
I have the Torqmaster mufflers only for the sound.
They claim "you will see better gas milage" but not how much....
If you had an engine problem, I am sure Honda would use it to void the warranty on the engine.
I had a Ford Mustang with custom headers and Ford would not cover a head gasket because of the headers.....

#8 ·
scarredpelt said:
uh isn't modifying your exhaust to bypass or remove emissions control devices illegal? :shock:
Yes, same as doing 26 MPH in a 25 MPH zone. Except a ticket for exhaust does not cost anything except putting the stock muffler back on.
I'm not too concerned about the law. I'm actually more concerned about removing the CAT and blowing out more smog. Go figure.

But more than anything, I don't think I would ever cut/destroy a stock pipe. They are too expensive to replace. I even still have the complete stock exhaust for my 929, and I don't think it will ever go back onto the bike.

#9 ·
Nedro,

The Torq Loopz are totally "invisible" when installed. They simply replace the area in the exhaust system that was occupied by the catalytic converters.

A hacksaw cuts through the header pipe very easily, (Yes they have to be cut, the catalytic converter is a welded part of the header).

Torqmaster does have clamps available that can be used to reinstall the "cats" if that becomes necessary, (SMOG testing of motorcycles for instance if that ever happens). The Loopz do give you a weight saving as the cats are rather heavy for their size, not huge, but it is there. Be sure you order the right Torq Loops for your Year GL1800, the 06-07 model is different than the 01-05 version, (The oxygen sensor was moved and is larger in the newer models).

I have the "Turn Down" model Torqmaster mufflers. It is very difficult to tell at first glance that I don't have a totally stock exhaust system with some ShowChrome turndown exhaust tips.

Closer inspection of course reveals a fully chromed muffler and a "Something sounds really good" reaction when you fire the bike up, even more so when you take it to redline. This is with optional baffles installed. There is no negative "droning" or excessive noise with this setup. I understand the Wing can be considered "Noisy" by some if you do not run the optional "extra" baffles.

As stated in the previous thread, I am happy with the change. Gas mileage has stayed relatively the same, 35-40 (real) mpg on average, (I have recalibrated my Speedometer/Odometer with a SpeedHealer to be accurate).

#11 ·
#12 ·
chuck_b24 said:
scarredpelt said:
uh isn't modifying your exhaust to bypass or remove emissions control devices illegal? :shock:

Yes & removing the cats is a federal offense ......................chuck
100watt headlights and PIAA lights are illegal and dangerous to approaching vehicals. But I don't see any outcry for jailing those offenders.

#13 ·
nedro said:
chuck_b24 said:
scarredpelt said:

Yes & removing the cats is a federal offense ......................chuck
100watt headlights and PIAA lights are illegal and dangerous to approaching vehicals. But I don't see any outcry for jailing those offenders.

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CHARLES WIGGINS (aka chuck_b24) was not calling for jailtime for ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!ANYONE who has rode with me KNOWS I cant (& wont) throw rocks!!!! Someone "ask" & I replied !!!..Thats all !!! I can fess up to what all I have done (7years ) but it would take all day!!.. BYE the way I DON'T NEED any help getting in trouble I do FINE ALL BY MY SELF !!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ....chuck

#17 ·
Shuckaduck, thats and old joke, besides it says by anyone other than the consumer, I run a hotel and have removed all 180 from mine. Is this a felony?

G
#18 ·
scarredpelt said:
In Florida, motorcycles, antique cars and a few other things are "exempt" from part of the exhaust statutes. Specifically the noise sections and the muffler part of Statute 316, except that you have to have some form of baffle, it can't be a straight pipe. As for the polution control; that's not suposed to be modified.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.