GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well if I ever get this Toyo 195 55 16 wore out I will try something else. I have put up with it but it is defiantly not the best ct to use. Its caricaturists are very unstable. One day it will ride smooth as glass and straight as an arrow. Next day on same road she tries to pull side to side. The only thing that I can think of that might make it do this is the temp changes from day to day. After all it is designed to be a wet and I think cold weather tire.

Does anyone else have this kind of problem with a Toyo?

PS I have ran the PSI anywhere from 35 down to 25. I am on 28 at this time.

·
DSI Keeper
9,106 Posts
I know a lot of early darksiders had some issues with the Proxes, I will let one of them chime in. However I think it would be a good idea to make the move over to one of the runflats everyone is using. The Kumho is getting some great reviews. I am on my second Pirelli, and I haven't had any issues with either of them.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
My first C/T ride was on a friends Toyo and i thought no i dont think so. But then i road another friends Pirelli RF and liked it a lot. I have ran conties,goodyear,dunlop 3d and kumho. I like the kumho best then the dunlop and goodyear are tied for 2nd. I dont have a rear M/T now as i like the C/T lots better. But to each there own.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I put 20,000 miles on a 195/55R16 Toyo Proxes T1-R. It had some funny aspects to its handling but I can say it never slipped, slid or let me down. Yeah, it wandered at high speed and would move around while banked over if you jacked the throttle but when ridden smoothly it cornered well and rode soft and quiet. I'd use one again if that was all that was available. I weigh 220 and ran it 30PSI.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I shared this before and got flamed for it

but because you sound like a gentlemen, I 'll put my flame-suit on for just joey:

My first CT was NOT a runflat. By the time I got home after installation, I thought this darksiding thing was insane. My bike felt like it was riding on jello....it was ridiculous.

Tis was not until KA7W turned me on to a runflat that I reconsidered darksiding. The difference was phenomenal and I sucumbed to the darkside again...To me, a non-runflat is totally inefficient, not an improvement over motto tires--as is the RF type. Get yaself a runflat brother!

Funny thing is, KA7W does not remember riding on a runflat nor telling me about it...yea! we all getting senile around here....half of the time we dont know what da heck we are talking about...

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Run Flat is the way to go for several reasons. Regarding the Toyo, loose 10-20 bucks worth of wear and bite the bullet. You'll be glad you did.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Just Joey..For myself after trying four different brands of CT's I can tell you that a RF is the way to go..I'm not saying there is anything bad about a non-run flat..But as others have pointed out,it does handle different in different situations as pointed out by Mad Meteor...

I can also tell you that not all RF's are created equal either..I'm a Pirelli fan and don't believe the tread wear ratings tire manufactures claim..

I had two different Conti's who had a much higher tread wear rating (400),That wore out faster then the Pirelli with the lower tread wear rating..(180)
After doing a few cutaways,I can tell you sidewall thickness varies with manufactures too.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Rocky,
Which ones of the RF you have used seems to handle best?...And, do you think the sidewall thickness is related to the handling performance?

...and finally, have you tried the D3 Dunnie Winter? If so, can you compare it with the Pirelli for gripology?

Thanks

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I shared this before and got flamed for it

but because you sound like a gentlemen, I 'll put my flame-suit on for just joey:

My first CT was NOT a runflat. By the time I got home after installation, I thought this darksiding thing was insane. My bike felt like it was riding on jello....it was ridiculous.

Tis was not until KA7W turned me on to a runflat that I reconsidered darksiding. The difference was phenomenal and I sucumbed to the darkside again...To me, a non-runflat is totally inefficient, not an improvement over motto tires--as is the RF type. Get yaself a runflat brother!

Funny thing is, KA7W does not remember riding on a runflat nor telling me about it...yea! we all getting senile around here....half of the time we dont know what da heck we are talking about...
:flg:.

Nando,

How do you get so mixed up ?? The Docs took you off that seaweed stuff you were chewing, did you keep some of it ??

I was not part of the RF crowd .. Mine would always go flat. But remember, I boughta Conti Vanco II and it has such stiff walls I can run it RF with speed limitations.

I still like my Vanco II, Looks like I will never have to replace it as it still has 11/32 rubber showing

And it does have some interesting charactiristics , but so does my favorite girlfriend !!

But Nando, this is the internet, you can say what ever you want about whomever you want. We don't care !! Keep your eyes open for naysayers, there out there every where. Some are very well disguised,

JMHO :cool:

:flg:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky,
Which ones of the RF you have used seems to handle best?...And, do you think the sidewall thickness is related to the handling performance?

...and finally, have you tried the D3 Dunnie Winter? If so, can you compare it with the Pirelli for gripology?

Thanks

Nando..My sig line pretty much sums up what my tires of choice are now a days...
These are the CT's I tried.
1) Dunlop FM 901 (reg-radial)
2) Pirelli [email protected] (RF)
3) Pirelli [email protected] (RF)
4) Conti Winter sport contact SSR (RF)
5) Conti All Season SSR (RF)
6) Pirelli [email protected] (RF)

With my doing these cutaways of the tires I have used.I found that the sidewall varies and that the Pirelli has a bead lock to rim like no other...

Sorry Buddy....But I won't run the D3 Dunnie Winter for comparison for you,just to torment you until the end of time! lol

Come on Dude.
It really doesn't matter what I think between these two,Your the only one who will know one way or the other what works best for Nando!! :thumbup:

BTW:
The real reason why I won't use another Winter compound,is that Conti winter tire wore out way faster than any other tire I tested for how I ride..

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
The real reason why I won't use another Winter compound,is that Conti winter tire wore out way faster than any other tire I tested for how I ride..
Rocky i also ran a conti winter wore it out in 6k miles. I ran a Dun 3D wintersport 19677 miles was still not down to the wear bars. But the side wall got wore pretty bad from rining these E TN Mtn roads. Winter tires dont always mean fast wear.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Winter, however, do mean grip per excellence...don't it?

I rather have grip than durability

1 - 14 of 14 Posts