GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Airbag 06 model with stock heated grips and want to intall the Kury ISO's instead.

Question is: Can they be REMOVED without destroying them so they can be used in the future?

Where do they plug into, so I can unplug them and store?

Can anyone walk me thru the process?

Help Please????

·
Registered
786 Posts
not sure about the plug in,
but
I just removed the Kury ISO's from my 1500 and installed stock grips,
I used a very thin screwdriver, ran it down between the rubber and handlebar then sprayed WD40 in there ,did the same all around the grip, gave it a twist and off it came,
The Kury ISO's are reusable, and when I reapplied my stock grips, I used a old trip we used in the 60's instead of glue,
pour gasoline in the grip shake it around, and slip it on the bar, allow it to dry, and I have never had one come off yet.

Anyone have a need for Kury ISO's , will sell for $20. in pretty good condition,

·
Registered
8 Posts
heated grips

it's a pretty good job.you have to remove the top shelter in order to get to the plug in's. remove seat,remove side covers,disconnet negative terminal on battery, remove the two side storge box's remove key plate,remove the top plate and disconnect speakers,also disconnect plug in below key, remove speedometer and gauges,take off side strips on each side of fairing,remove screws on each side of fairing, remove headlight adjuster plate and disconnect cable for foot warmers remove right side panel also. remove the two nuts at the bottom of shelter near the base of the seat.make sure you removed all the screws at the top of the shelter.also remove the two black strips at the bottom of the handlebars that hide the wires. you should be ready to separate the sides of the fairing from the shelter.remove shelter.had problems removing the old grips but was able to save them. removed them to put the honda chrome heated grips. good luck

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Basspro said:
I have the Airbag 06 model with stock heated grips and want to intall the Kury ISO's instead.

Question is: Can they be REMOVED without destroying them so they can be used in the future?

Where do they plug into, so I can unplug them and store?

Can anyone walk me thru the process?

Help Please????

My Stock Hondaline grips were held in place with white adhesive tape on the bar & plastic sleeve on the throttle.I simply twisted them as I pulled them off (Backwards)
They plug in right under each handle bar (two wires each side).Yes you can remove them,and leave the remaining harness where it is for later use,should you sell the bike later..Tape up the remaining wires,to keep out dirt/corrosion etc.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
We've had folks report that the grips won't work after the heated seat is removed/disconnected, so I wonder if the heated seat will still work after the grips are disconnected?

Stu

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Someone just sent me a PM about this very topic. Seems his heated seat no longer works after changing grips.

I will have to dig into the 06 schematic to be sure, but my initial *guess is that the system has a safety feature that shuts down all the heating elements if it senses a short or an open in any one of them.

It may be able to be overcome with some creative wiring, but that would disable the built in safety feature and in the event of a short circuit you could end up with a melted seat, or worse...

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Well, it isn't clear from looking at the wiring diagram.

The grip and seat heater elements are controlled by a black box called the Heater Control Unit.
It provides a ground that activates the heater relay which in turn provides power to the 6 heater elements.
The heater element grounds all feed back to the controller box, so I assume it regulates current flow by controlling the
ground to the elements (maybe through a MOSFET).

The heater elements are all connected to power in parallel (from the heater relay), with the exception of the right and left grips
- which are in series with each other. So opening one element up would not interrupt current to the other elements.

My best guess is that the controller must require return current at pins 3, 5 and 7 coming back off the heating elements
or else it shuts off the heater relay. I would need the internal diagrams of the controller or at least a bike to do some
testing on to know exactly how the elements are controlled.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My '06 left grip is open. (unplugged). With the grip heat switch turned off, the seat heat works properly. If I turn on the Grip heat switch, The seat won't work.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How and where to unplug the grips near the handlebar ends?

I am looking at the underside of both of my heated grips on my 06 airbag goldwing. The black wire seems seamless and I see nowhere to plug or unplug the grips leaving the cable still in the underside of the handlebars.

This is what I would like to do, so hopefully during the summer in Florida use the ISO's and if it is cold enough, remove the ISO's and reinstall the stock heated grips and simply plug them in somewhere under the handlebars...plug and play if you will.

So, if anyone knows where these plug ins are..please advise...

It looks like the wire comes out of the lower part of the grip and disappears along the underside of the handlebars and is encapuslated with other cables for concealment and protection.

No problem with that....but it goes off in to la la land...never to be easily seen where it ends. I am wondering if it easily plugs or unplugs to wherever it ends somewhere "down below"??

So, if anyone has removed theirs to be used again another day...please advise..thanks....

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Re: heated grips

dean3939 said:
it's a pretty good job.you have to remove the top shelter in order to get to the plug in's. remove seat,remove side covers,disconnet negative terminal on battery, remove the two side storge box's remove key plate,remove the top plate and disconnect speakers,also disconnect plug in below key, remove speedometer and gauges,take off side strips on each side of fairing,remove screws on each side of fairing, remove headlight adjuster plate and disconnect cable for foot warmers remove right side panel also. remove the two nuts at the bottom of shelter near the base of the seat.make sure you removed all the screws at the top of the shelter.also remove the two black strips at the bottom of the handlebars that hide the wires. you should be ready to separate the sides of the fairing from the shelter.remove shelter.had problems removing the old grips but was able to save them. removed them to put the honda chrome heated grips. good luck
HO HO! Thanks for the blow by blow dean! :) I'm going to be doing the same surgery in a week or so. You have been printed and will be residing between the pages of my manual. :lol:
DC :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts