GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my GL1800 for a little over a year now and really wanting to head out on some longer over night(s) stays. I am looking for hints on a good security system for my Wing and some ideas on best types of hotels or other type lodging for stays over night.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I've never even thought of getting a security system for my bike. You can put the bike in reverse, and it's virtually impossible to move. Other than that, I have insurance in case it gets stolen or damaged. As for Hotels, we generally stay at Motel 6, or Super 8's on our trips. It's what we can afford, so if you can afford more, there are lots of places open to you. It's been joked that the best security system for a HD is a Goldwing cover.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Disc Stapler Lock on the front rotor. The only way they are getting it then is if they lift it. If they do that - they have earned it - collect on the insurance. Be sure to use the reminder cable so you don't destroy the front end in the morning.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
if you use a disc lock get a round magnet for your ignition switch works great

use a cover and cable lock on the cover

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
If you only use a special lock on trips and vacations, you WILL forget it and possibly damage something more than your pride.

If I was very concerned, I'd get a LoJack. Otherwise, that's what insurance is for--stay somewhere nice, lock the bike, stop worrying. Why? Because you've got insurance.

Heck, if you're still worried after that, buy some Trip Insurance.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
?? Explain, Obi Wan Wolfy? :D
rather than a cable just stick a round flat magnet right over the ign. switch

cant forget because you cant put the key in the switch,lol

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
If you only use a special lock on trips and vacations, you WILL forget it and possibly damage something more than your pride.
That's why you use the included reminder cable and drape it over your brake and throttle :)

rather than a cable just stick a round flat magnet right over the ign. switch cant forget because you cant put the key in the switch,lol
That's brilliant! :)

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Reminder cable.....magnets.....forget all of that! LOL!

I use a front brake lever lock made by www.grip-lock.com it mounts on the brake lever while the brakes are on. Impossible to move the bike or to forget that the lock is in place. The added bonus is that when you lock your handlebar to the left, the lock access is against the right mirror and nearly impossible to pick.

With bike in reverse and the hand grip lock in place, you are almost guaranteed the bike will be there in the morning, unless a couple of 3 or 4 guys pick it up.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
A Reminder Cable seems like overkill to me. Of course, if you like to buy stuff, go ahead.

In the past (pre-Goldwing), when I used a disc break lock, I would either tie a piece of cloth or put a piece of tape over the ignition or one time I tied a sock on the handlebars in order to remind me that a had a disc lock on the rotor. No sense buying a separate piece of equipment specifically for this job. You just need something to remind you.

BTW, this was all on previous motorcycles. I've never bothered to use a rotor lock on the Wing.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
Since I rarely ride alone I carry a kryptonite cable lock, I lock two front wheels of wings together go ahead move two of them at one time. I also carry 11 rounds in a 9mm and sleep light.....I try very hard to park right in front of our room.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I use a front brake lever lock
Only thing I would be worried about there is the constant brake line pressure for hours or even days. Not sure if it is a Bad Thing - but I don't know that I would want to do it.

A Reminder Cable seems like overkill to me. Of course, if you like to buy stuff, go ahead.
Comes with most disc locks - or can be had easily enough online for $3-5.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.