GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Vendor
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Met up with Chuck just after daybreak today, (Sunday 7-18-21) as he rode past New Harmony Utah. We flashed him our "Good Luck Chuck" sign and rode a while with him. He did pull off and we talked a while, he was in high sprits and enthusiastic, his bike is a War Horse for sure. When last seen as we parted ways he was headed for the low desert and Las Vegas. The tracking app made it easy to find him.
WOW!!!! That must have sent him over the moon! How cool you got to meet up and ride with him!!! That is just awesome!

·
Registered
1998 Honda Shadow, 2016 Yamaha FJR1300
40 Posts
Thanks for the replies Max. I was thinking there was no way he would just show up at a dealer and hope to get service done. Tires.. maybe.. but full service.. guess it depends on the dealer and how busy they would be. Thanks Jon

·
Vendor
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for the replies Max. I was thinking there was no way he would just show up at a dealer and hope to get service done. Tires.. maybe.. but full service.. guess it depends on the dealer and how busy they would be. Thanks Jon
Anything outside of tires, and possibly an oil change if a dealer has time will be performed at our
What day is he on? I see that he had to stop for roadside repair.. any details?
His battery was defective and he got that swapped out pretty fast, I think in Ohio. He had to swap a rear tire in Denver at Fay Myers.... I think that took a long time. I'm not aware of anything else, I'll give him a call to check up. He's about to complete the first X.

The first 3.5 Xs are going to be slower than the 1,000 miles a day because his is also simultaneously doing the Tour of Honor. He is hitting one point as he goes into each state, and then one on the way out. So he's riding a lot of backroads and heading into remote areas of states sometimes. There are 7 points in each state, so after 3.5 Xs, he's going straight freeway travel, and will be making up mileage each day until he is back on track.

·
Registered
1998 Honda Shadow, 2016 Yamaha FJR1300
40 Posts
Thanks for that update. I was wondering about some of the 'route' choices he has made, but if he is trying to hit certain points, that makes it much clearer. Jon

·
Vendor
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I am going to do a video on this topic, just because so many people are curious. I'm also going to do some video updates and interviews each time he passes through ATL and "pits" here at Traxxion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WOW!!!! That must have sent him over the moon! How cool you got to meet up and ride with him!!! That is just awesome!
I think he got a smile as did we out of the meetup, picture him going south on Interstate 15 just after sun rise and coming up behind another Goldwing who out of the blue produces a large "Good Luck Chuck" sign as he passes. We Started up toward his track at 3am to make sure not to miss him and will watch for him coming through again during his trip. We rode south with him as long as our fuel allowed, he was doing great. After watching the video about the War Horse on line it was really great to see it and all the mods live and in person even at a lonely Utah Exit Ramp.

·
Love The DCT
12,436 Posts
Any experienced rider/mechanic/technician would know that even a brand spanking new 2021 Honda GL-1800-DCT, while it is a Honda, still needs to have that engine broken in properly, for a minimum of 5,000 miles, and preferably 10,000 miles, prior to subjecting it to a ride of 1,000 miles per day, for 11 days, one day of rest, then do it all over again 10 more times.
The days of having to run a motorcycle engine a minimum of 5,000 miles for it to be broken in properly are long gone. This is what Honda says about "break in" on the 2018 plus gold wings.

"During the first 300 miles (500 km) of running, follow these guidelines to ensure your vehicle’s future reliability and performance. Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration. Avoid hard braking and rapid down-shifts. Ride conservatively."

I seriously doubt the engine/tranny is going to fail. What has a propensity to fail is last minute add ons/changes to farkles or other equipment added to the bike before departure.

·
Vendor
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The days of having to run a motorcycle engine a minimum of 5,000 miles for it to be broken in properly are long gone. This is what Honda says about "break in" on the 2018 plus gold wings.

"During the first 300 miles (500 km) of running, follow these guidelines to ensure your vehicle’s future reliability and performance. Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration. Avoid hard braking and rapid down-shifts. Ride conservatively."

I seriously doubt the engine/tranny is going to fail. What has a propensity to fail is last minute add ons/changes to farkles or other equipment added to the bike before departure.
Thanks for this post.

·
Vendor
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I think he got a smile as did we out of the meetup, picture him going south on Interstate 15 just after sun rise and coming up behind another Goldwing who out of the blue produces a large "Good Luck Chuck" sign as he passes. We Started up toward his track at 3am to make sure not to miss him and will watch for him coming through again during his trip. We rode south with him as long as our fuel allowed, he was doing great. After watching the video about the War Horse on line it was really great to see it and all the mods live and in person even at a lonely Utah Exit Ramp.
That is such a cool story! There have been others who've caught him, but I don't think anyone has had a sign!

He's normally a pretty private guy, but this whole adventure is really bringing him out of a shell, and he's just having a complete ball!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chuck and "War Horse" came through my area again yesterday (Wed. 7-22-21) and I attempted to get down out of the higher country to intercept him in Mesquite Nevada but the idiosyncrasy's of desert back roads and cell phone connections caused us to miss him. Tried to run up to Richfield Utah this morning to say hi but he took off before I had covered half the distance and good for him, he will make excellent time on the next couple hundred miles of open Interstate. If I might add, Chuck is tough. Yesterday he did 400 miles across the desert in temperatures well in excess of 100 degree's, throw in the erratic and fast traffic along with the wind and you have a good days work there alone. I will catch him next time through.

·
Vendor
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Chuck and "War Horse" came through my area again yesterday (Wed. 7-22-21) and I attempted to get down out of the higher country to intercept him in Mesquite Nevada but the idiosyncrasy's of desert back roads and cell phone connections caused us to miss him. Tried to run up to Richfield Utah this morning to say hi but he took off before I had covered half the distance and good for him, he will make excellent time on the next couple hundred miles of open Interstate. If I might add, Chuck is tough. Yesterday he did 400 miles across the desert in temperatures well in excess of 100 degree's, throw in the erratic and fast traffic along with the wind and you have a good days work there alone. I will catch him next time through.
That's so cool! He'll be back through MANY times, so I'm sure you'll catch him!!!

·
Registered
818 Posts
HAHA... that might depend on what state he's passing through.
I don't know of any state that has posted speed limit above 80.
Earilier today while he was on the east end of Utah heading east, he was doing 83. Been there myself and the speed limit is 80 there. He might be disqualified after all the effort he's putting into this.

·
Administrator
4,068 Posts
I don't know of any state that has posted speed limit above 80.
Earilier today while he was on the east end of Utah heading east, he was doing 83. Been there myself and the speed limit is 80 there. He might be disqualified after all the effort he's putting into this.
Just for the record, part of I-30 between Austin and San Antonio Texas is posted at 85 mph. Now I agree that doesn't pertain to Chuck's journey. I can't vouch for what happens elsewhere, but I know that many people routinely run 5 to 7 mph over the speed limit. I figure 83 mph in a 80 mph zone won't even raise an eyebrow.

Glen

·
Registered
818 Posts
Just for the record, part of I-30 between Austin and San Antonio Texas is posted at 85 mph. Now I agree that doesn't pertain to Chuck's journey. I can't vouch for what happens elsewhere, but I know that many people routinely run 5 to 7 mph over the speed limit. I figure 83 mph in a 80 mph zone won't even raise an eyebrow.

Glen
Yeah, I understand that for regular traffic, but if this event is supposed to be something like an Iron Butt ride, I would think there are requirements to not exceed the speed limit.
I don't really care one way or another, it's just that I noticed that and thought he might be disqualified if the contest rules state so.

·
Registered
8,078 Posts
Yeah, I understand that for regular traffic, but if this event is supposed to be something like an Iron Butt ride, I would think there are requirements to not exceed the speed limit.
I don't really care one way or another, it's just that I noticed that and thought he might be disqualified if the contest rules state so.
From an ironbutter standpoint, excessive flaunting of the speed limit will raise some eyebrows, but 3 over - not even a consideration. From an LEO standpoint - not worth my time. 🚔

21 - 39 of 39 Posts